Just curious

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Feb 2014 8:40 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

Just curious - I always understood that a car on foreign plates could not be submitted for an ITV unless it it for re-registration purposes.

This morning I saw parked in Playa Flamenca, a Renault Twingo on French plates displaying a 13 and a 14 ITV sticker in the windscreen.

Just wondered if this could be so.

Steve

Steve.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2014 12:46 PM by bingleys Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I took a transit van with me in 2006 and ITVd it in Feb 2007. No problems, that was in Fuente Alamo.

Steve

Like 0      
21 Feb 2014 1:13 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Many, maybe all ITV stations will inspect a non-Spanish Registered vehicle and issue  a ‘pass sticker’ but it has no relevance, except to make it obvious to the police that you keep the vehicle in Spain,  which might be a problem in certain circumstance !

Like 0      
21 Feb 2014 1:39 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

bingleys-are the  vehicles that you ITV'd illegal in Spain, then?

Like 0      
21 Feb 2014 2:22 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

They will ITV anything for the 40€ fee, even the lawnmower !

Like 0      
21 Feb 2014 2:37 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

But it won't make it legal! How many  motorists out there are under the impression that it does?

In the Camposol region, The CG seem to turn a blind eye to the many illegal UK plated vehicles that have been here for years, their owners running businesses with impunity. There are commercial vehicles that cannot be reregistered, yet are "allowed" to stay on the road;what excuses do the drivers give to the CG, if stopped, I wonder?How do they get Insurance-are they too turning a blind eye?

Apparently, in the Torrevieja region, the police are far more proactive; A few cubes of compressed metal, delivered to the owners, along with a bill, should Help spread the message!

Like 1      
21 Feb 2014 2:44 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

The French have a similar system re stickers in the window, could the stickers actually have been French and not Spanish?

Poppyseed

Like 0      
22 Feb 2014 9:25 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Camposol.  How do they get Insurance-are they too turning a blind eye?

There are many Insurance companies in Spain that provide insurance for non-Spanish registered vehicles (before any one says it, of course the cover is legal).  Also all compulsory insurance  (third party) in the EU provides cover, not time limited, throughout the EU. This is as a result of an EU Directive. 

People have freedom of movement in EU. That should apply to vehicles as well.

The real problem regarding motor vehicles in the EU is for those who exercise their rights to travel to and live for periods, but not permanently,  in other  EU countries.  For those who move to another country it ‘relatively easy’ but for those who just visit, albeit for several months at a time, they are likely to  fall between the rules of each country.

The EU should instigate a system where, providing a vehicle is registered in one country, it is legal in all others, no time limit.  Then one should be able to choose to pay the appropriate taxes, say ‘Circulation tax’ in whichever country they are in.  They should then be legal in all the EU until it needs renewing again, and then they once more they should be able to obtain the renewal wherever  they are at that time.  This could result in say a UK Reg car having a 'road tax' sticker bought in say Spàin. 

Or better still. the ‘so called’  Road/Circulation Tax (which is just a revenue tax) should be abolished everywhere, and a few cents put on petrol/diesel instead. Then all would pay it, and those who get so heated and whinge about people not complying, could find something else, a lot more important,  to complain about!

Like 2      
22 Feb 2014 11:21 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

If people could "choose" which country to tax their car, wouldn't you then get thousands registering in Spain at about 40 euro and then driving in UK where it might cost £260?
Yes, extra tax on fuel would be better but how would annual road tests be checked? You couldn't, for example, have your MOT or equivalent done in France or Spain and then drive in UK or vice versa because of the headlights and so on. You couldn't turn up for an MOT in UK if the car is registered in Spain as there would be no database to check it on unless you had a central European database for all cars in the EU (judging by the way government IT systems work the cost would be prohibitive).

I wonder if the Dutch or the Germans or whoever spend as much time as the British do in trying to find ways to get around the system rather than doing it properly?

Like 0      
22 Feb 2014 12:00 PM by fonziedas Star rating. 55 posts Send private message

Camposol. I wonder if the Dutch or the Germans or whoever spend as much time as the British do in trying to find ways to get around the system rather than doing it properly? 

yes, they do, you don't really think british people are unique, do you ? I agree with johnzx there should be a European system, why else do we need the EU

Like 0      
22 Feb 2014 12:22 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

By the same token, should UK start driving on the right? Should UK adopt the euro?

Like 0      
22 Feb 2014 12:41 PM by fonziedas Star rating. 55 posts Send private message

although I agree that we (europeans) drive on the wrong side of the road, what's wrong with driving on the right? it would be a lot easier for everyone, and the british economy would benefit when you adopt the euro

Like 0      
22 Feb 2014 12:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Mariedav,    if people can travel why not vehicles. Just takes a little thought  to get away from  'that’s the way we have always done it' syndrome.  It's easy to change things when one wants to.  I changed quite a lot of things in my last couple of years at work, once I got those 'stuck in the rut' to open their minds.

As for MOT, Spain have a sticker.   Simple.  The same should apply to Insurance, a sticker too.    Although in Spain the police can of course check insurance cover on line. .

It just needs a bot of thinking outside the box by the legislators. 

This message was last edited by johnzx on 22/02/2014.

Like 1      
22 Feb 2014 1:41 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

johnzx-until that happy time when the whole of Europe sings from the same hymn sheet re registering cars, the rules are as they are and should be obeyed;why is it ok for some to do it by the book, paying out a large amount to re register, and then pay the yearly tax, and others go on their merry way, with impunity. Whingeing is not the correct word to use-perhaps concerned?

Like 1      
22 Feb 2014 2:13 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campo until that happy time when the whole of Europe sings from the same hymn sheet re registering cars

That’s what I was saying,  but first those who think such a thing is impossible need to rethink.

…………….  why is it ok for some to do it by the book, paying out a large amount to re register, and then pay the yearly tax, and others go on their merry way, with impunity

I did not say that, I said change the system so that it works.  At present it does not and thus some people will go on complaining about it, pointlessly as they are not the ones who enforce the law. 

In the meantime. as long as drivers are insured, so we are all protected in the event of an accident, it is really not worth being concerned about. Let’s leave it to them who’s job it is to do that.  

Like 1      
22 Feb 2014 2:39 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Bit disingenuous saying people can travel. Yes they can, but only with the correct documentation and subject to the same time restrictions. People have to have a passport or id card (registration document), must register if staying longer than 3 months or actually register themselves if longer than 6 months, same as a vehicle. Nowadays they must show proof of healthcare and the ability to support themselves (so there's your MOT and insurance as well).
People can visit Spain as often as they like subject to time restrictions, exactly the same as a vehicle can.
Each country has a different method of car worthiness checks. In Germany, you must carry a first aid kit and AIDS gloves to pass their MOT. In Spain you have to have spare glasses if you wear them, in France you have to carry a breathalyser. I'm sure Estonia, Malta, Latvia and the other 20 odd countries have their own rules and regulations. Unless we all tow a trailer to keep all the stuff in we wouldn't get very far.
Insurances are different in each country, as well. In UK you are only covered 3rd party if you go to another country unless you pay extra. German insurance covers you fully for any country that shares a border with Germany, Spain covers you for any EU country. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2014 3:01 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Mariedev,

I did say one has to think outside the box.  Looking for excuses why one might not change the system is not thinking outside the box.  All the things you mention,  just take the will, by the legislators,  to makes the changes.  They demonstrate that things can be changed, i.e. they are not the same everywhere, so they could be changed to be the same everywhere. That would make a good deal of sense and remove the artificial barriers which, as you show, unnecessarily, exist.

And incidentally  …………….   People have to have a passport or id card (registration document), must register if staying longer than 3 months or actually register themselves the ……..    Yes but The Treaty of Rome established free movement.    

QUOTE  …………….  

The EEC Treaty consists of 240 articles in six separate parts, preceded by a preamble.

• the first part is devoted to the principles which underline the establishment of the EC via the common market, the customs union and the common policies;
  • the second part concerns the foundations of the Community. It comprises four titles devoted respectively to the free movement of goods; agriculture; the free movement of persons, services and capital; and finally transport;
  • the third part concerns Community policy and includes four titles relating to common rules, economic policy, social policy and the European Investment Bank;
  • the fourth part is devoted to the association of overseas countries and territories;
  • the fifth part is devoted to the Community institutions, with one title on the institutional provisions and another on the financial provisions;
  • the final part of the Treaty concerns general and final provisions.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 22/02/2014.

Like 1      
22 Feb 2014 3:16 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

As for MOT, Spain have a sticker.   Simple.  The same should apply to Insurance, a sticker too.    Although in Spain the police can of course check insurance cover on line. .

It just needs a bot of thinking outside the box by the legislators.

So can the English police John, the main reason we are stopping tax disc's.

As for thinking outside the box, someone in DVLA must have been sitting in the box, they have just made the biggest balls up ever in getting a tax disc, not for the criminals or us, but for them.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

UK TV Mar Menor area - 2 posts
Casares Del Sol - 1 posts
New ID card information, please! - 4 posts
toll road - 4 posts
Car Rental Malaga - 5 posts
Visiting Nerja, Alumencar, Salobrena - 4 posts
Iberdrola - In English - 0 posts
Is a UK Visa Needed - 4 posts
Inaccuracy in Nota Simple - 2 posts
I pad 2 query - 8 posts
BUYING A SPANISH USED CAR WITH NO DOCUMENTS - 3 posts
non resident tax murcia - advice please - 13 posts
Car insurance - 2 posts
Channel 5HD - 3 posts
Long term car hire - 3 posts
Advice on a Dacion en pago - 3 posts
Yet another 720 query - 6 posts
Becoming a non-resident in Spain - 7 posts
Dation Advice - 0 posts
jardin tropical,developer Larios 2000 - 0 posts
Monthly and Annual Costs of keeping 2 bed apartment on Puerto Marina Los Alcazares - 0 posts
Pet Insurance - 2 posts
How to get more internet speed from Movistar - 4 posts
hola - 19 posts
Lost UK Channels time for IPTV - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x