Becoming a non-resident in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Feb 2014 9:53 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Hi, sorry for the confusing heading. I have lived in Spain for 20 years and own my own property (well have a huge mortgage on it). I have just set myself up as a freelance writer, and will be spending around 7 months of the year in the UK from now on as I can work from anywhere. Basically i want to start paying tax in the UK, as I will be spending more time there than here. I am officially a resident in Spain so how do I become a non-resident? Thanks, Amatista

Like 0      
14 Feb 2014 11:39 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I guess the simple answer is by becoming a resident elsewhere, which you will be by default if you spend 7 monhts of the year in the UK. Notify HMRC, register with a local GP, apply for your EHIC so that you're covered when in Spain for emergencies, notify your UK and Spanish banks etc. Not sure whether you need to de-register with Hacienda & the INSS as such, but you will of course have to file a 210 and pay your non-resident tax on your property in Spain. You could go to Hacienda & Social Security offices etc. to check, which one would think should be more reliable than asking on a forum like this, but nobody in those places knows very much of course.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Feb 2014 11:44 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Thanks Roberto. I am trying to avoid the social security/tax offices as they are always a nightmare but may go through an accountant/gestor. Thanks, Jane

Like 0      
14 Feb 2014 11:57 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Believe me, I know how you feel! But just to go and ask what you need to do, seems a waste of money paying a gestor - who in all likelihood will be just as ill-informed and incompetent as the funcionarios in govt. offices!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Feb 2014 12:06 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

You go to the national police station, preferably the one you got the original card from, and fill in the same form to apply but tick the bottom bit marked "baja". Your residence card will then be replaced with a non-residence certificate.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2014 12:09 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Amatista.              The first step would I suggest be to cancel your EU Citizen’s  Residence  Registration, at the Policia Nacional where you obtained it.   And as Roberto says, if you will continue to have a bank account here then you will need a non-residence cetificate for your bank, and then change to account to Non Res. 

I would think that if you contact the HMRC and ask their advice they will tell you exactly what to do regarding your tax residence situation..

Like 0      
14 Feb 2014 12:11 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

You will also need to fill in Modelo 30 and sent it to Hacienda.  This will tell them you are no longer resident for tax purposes.

http://www.agenciatributaria.es/AEAT.internet/Modelos_formularios/modelo_030.shtml

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2014 1:10 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Thanks for that

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Dation Advice - 0 posts
jardin tropical,developer Larios 2000 - 0 posts
Monthly and Annual Costs of keeping 2 bed apartment on Puerto Marina Los Alcazares - 0 posts
Pet Insurance - 2 posts
How to get more internet speed from Movistar - 4 posts
hola - 19 posts
Lost UK Channels time for IPTV - 2 posts
2 month rent Andalusia from mid Feb - 0 posts
Alicante/Murcia region - quiet seaside resort - 4 posts
Post refreshed: Buying in Spain is safe! - 3 posts
Driving down to Murcia in the next week or so ? - 0 posts
Not a UK resident and buying Spanish Property? - 21 posts
Spanish Climate - 67 posts
Oxygen supplier - 2 posts
What happens if there is debt on a property or community fees unpaid? - 11 posts
cancellation of Britanny Ferries crossing Thursday 13th Santander to Portsmouth - 0 posts
Electronic Registration - Spanish Tax Office - 5 posts
Become a homeowner for €1,000 - illegally of course... - 0 posts
sky tv - 2 posts
Is there much singing work in Spain - 1 posts
Lloyds Bank International changing to Banco Sabadell - Distance Banking - 14 posts
FREE Guide on Spanish Wills and Spain IHT - 5 posts
FREE Guide on Setting a Company in Spain - 0 posts
Administrators - 0 posts
cost upsizing satellite dish - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x