How to get more internet speed from Movistar

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Feb 2014 10:19 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Hi, I live in Mijas Golf and am about to get an IPTV box installed. I am worried about my internet speed though as it fluctuates quite a lot. I called Movistar yesterday and was passed to a technician who simply too my e mail address and told me he would let me know when fibre optic was available in my area!!!!! But he didn´t know when that would be obviously .... My question is, can I pay more to increase internet speed from Movistar or not, and if so would I have to go into a shop or can I do it over the phone? Thanks, Jane

Like 0      
12 Feb 2014 10:33 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi Jane

If the proposed Fibre Optic Cables have not been laid yet,I doubt if you are getting more than 1 megabyte per second at the moment on your existing line.Movistar wont be able to increase your Internet Speed, in that case and there is  no point in paying them anymore money at this stage. You will have to wait for Movistar to get their act together.

Regards

Nigel

Like 0      
12 Feb 2014 10:46 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
What is your existing Adsl contract with movistar? You can check on movistars website to see what cover you have in your area. We have 10mb although it never reaches above 8.5mb. You can test your broadband speed at speedtest.net - you will need at least 3mb for the iptv option.

Like 0      
12 Feb 2014 11:57 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Thanks for that I will have a look, Jane

Like 0      
01 Mar 2014 12:26 PM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar

This is a very important topic.

If you want to watch UK TV channels through internet of course.

Nigel is right - if there is no Fiber Optic - then you are unlikely to get it in the near future.

There is a page on the Movistar website that you can test your area, but it is still very limited.

Basically, if Movistar want to improve the service they will, if they don't they don't.

Although this said a friend bullied Movistar into upgrading the system on his line (B*** the neighbours!) and they did!!

We are in AEG pueblo and get on averge 8mbps on a good day (at non-peak times ;) 

I think we pay for 10. But everyone knows you don't always get what you pay for! 

If you get stuck, I have a friend who sells an IPTV system that works on just 1Mbps! (But no HD of course at that speed ;) 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

hola - 19 posts
Lost UK Channels time for IPTV - 2 posts
2 month rent Andalusia from mid Feb - 0 posts
Alicante/Murcia region - quiet seaside resort - 4 posts
Post refreshed: Buying in Spain is safe! - 3 posts
Driving down to Murcia in the next week or so ? - 0 posts
Not a UK resident and buying Spanish Property? - 21 posts
Spanish Climate - 67 posts
Oxygen supplier - 2 posts
What happens if there is debt on a property or community fees unpaid? - 11 posts
cancellation of Britanny Ferries crossing Thursday 13th Santander to Portsmouth - 0 posts
Electronic Registration - Spanish Tax Office - 5 posts
Become a homeowner for €1,000 - illegally of course... - 0 posts
sky tv - 2 posts
Is there much singing work in Spain - 1 posts
Lloyds Bank International changing to Banco Sabadell - Distance Banking - 14 posts
FREE Guide on Spanish Wills and Spain IHT - 5 posts
FREE Guide on Setting a Company in Spain - 0 posts
Administrators - 0 posts
cost upsizing satellite dish - 14 posts
Swing Seat - 0 posts
androi for tv - 5 posts
Nice Coastal Resorts Near Valencia - 3 posts
CAN I STILL SKY IN COSTA DEL SOL WITH MULTIROOM - 16 posts
Supreme Court and liabilities of Banks and Property valuers - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x