Lost UK Channels time for IPTV

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Feb 2014 7:44 AM by crisco Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Everyone would have noticed that most UK channels are now lost particularly in Southern Spain. It seems that even a 3 metre dish will not be sufficent.

As TV through the internet seems to be the only solution, the next problem is how to get it. Many companies are charging about £25 a month for standard definition buit if you can fool the UK sites into thinking you are in the UK you should be able to watch many programs through BBC iplayer etc for free.

Normally this is done through something called a proxy but the free ones will not be sufficent in the long time as TV streaming consumes huge bandwith. Personally I am trying to find a way of using my fibre optic internet connection in the UK to stream live TV to here in Spain.

There is a device  called Slingbox which I have used in the past where you have your skybox, freesat etc situated in the UK and the slingbox changes the channels and allows you to watch through any PC. This neccesitates having broadband service in UK

There are also small cheap IPTV boxes such as NOWTV, but I have not tried that yet in Spain. I think you have to have a UK address to register one. I guess in the next few days we will be hearing a lot of possible solutions. In the meantime there is a free SD streaming service which I found on a site called ukinfocom site under webTV. I have not tried their HD which is paid for, and I am not sure how they will cope with the more than likely huge demand but it seems adequate at the moment for watching the soaps and the news although sometimes a bit jerky.

Many UK programmes can be found on youtube a couple of days after broadcast.

Smart TVs maybe able to get some UK channels but not all.  To connect your PC to your TV you will normally need an HDMI lead, and for convenience a remote mouse and keyboard. Carrefour do a good combo set which works well on the couch own brand for about £20

This message was last edited by crisco on 12/02/2014.

Like 1      
12 Feb 2014 11:06 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

IPTV requires a good steady broadband connection in excess of at least 2 to 3 Mbps. If your providere cannot provide this speed then IPTV is a complete waste of money.

filmon.com gives access to all the normal UK TV Programmes (not SKY) and is available free of charge. No software to downolad. Again however, a good steady fast broadband speed is required.  Anything less than 2Mbps will cause pixellating, freezing and buffering problems.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 1      
12 Feb 2014 11:15 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

If you have a smart tv connected to your broadband (cabled or wifi), with decent speed, you can just go to filmon.com in your tv's browser and watch from there - no apps, no pcs to connect, no VPN. It works fine.
Also, just got Irish channel 4s back on our sky hd+ box (with subscription) as per this link:

http://www.satandpcguy.com/blog/2014/02/lost-channel-4-spain-sky-subscriptin-try/

This message was last edited by Pitby on 12/02/2014.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

2 month rent Andalusia from mid Feb - 0 posts
Alicante/Murcia region - quiet seaside resort - 4 posts
Post refreshed: Buying in Spain is safe! - 3 posts
Driving down to Murcia in the next week or so ? - 0 posts
Not a UK resident and buying Spanish Property? - 21 posts
Spanish Climate - 67 posts
Oxygen supplier - 2 posts
What happens if there is debt on a property or community fees unpaid? - 11 posts
cancellation of Britanny Ferries crossing Thursday 13th Santander to Portsmouth - 0 posts
Electronic Registration - Spanish Tax Office - 5 posts
Become a homeowner for €1,000 - illegally of course... - 0 posts
sky tv - 2 posts
Is there much singing work in Spain - 1 posts
Lloyds Bank International changing to Banco Sabadell - Distance Banking - 14 posts
FREE Guide on Spanish Wills and Spain IHT - 5 posts
FREE Guide on Setting a Company in Spain - 0 posts
Administrators - 0 posts
cost upsizing satellite dish - 14 posts
Swing Seat - 0 posts
androi for tv - 5 posts
Nice Coastal Resorts Near Valencia - 3 posts
CAN I STILL SKY IN COSTA DEL SOL WITH MULTIROOM - 16 posts
Supreme Court and liabilities of Banks and Property valuers - 0 posts
Farnsfield - 7 posts
Iberdrola have cut us off - Help! - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x