The Wisdom of Carrying a Camera

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Jan 2014 7:19 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Some would say some police always behaved as thugs; only the widespread use of phone and digital cameras exposes the failings of these maverick officers.

A French family shopping at a Torrevieja shopping mall were caught up with other shoppers when a door alarm sounded. Round Town News. There was nothing amiss; all those questioned including the Spanish had their till receipts.

However, a French family, mum, dad and their two children were picked out by two Guardia Civil officers. Taken to a private room they and the children were more thoroughly searched. Having been singled out the father was protective and said he would complain. The officers, in front of the children gave mum and dad a good slapping. Presumably distracted by the pleasures of inflicting humiliation and violence the two cops were obviously unaware that one of the couple’s sons was surreptitiously filming the sad series of events.

Apart from the wrongness of this behaviour imagine what this will do to tourism if it is put on you tube and goes viral. God! Some police are unbelievably dumb.

Someone suggested I had an agenda. Yes, I do have an agenda; I deplore the police acting as a law unto themselves. From footage I have seen I think one would be better off calling the local protection squad or a well-connected local heavy to protect you rather than the police.

The moral of the story. Always carry a camera, use it furtively if there’s a need.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 2      
10 Jan 2014 8:30 AM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

The moral of the story. Always carry a camera, use it furtively if there’s a need.

But remembering that in many circumstances it is an offence in Spain to take photos of a police officer when on duty.

Also be aware that the rules which govern police procedures in UK do not necessary equate to those in Spain.  So please don’t keep comparing apples with oranges, they are different.  In every country you are obliged to comply with the laws which apply to that country, not those which apply anywhere else.

Elaine Gonzales

This message was last edited by elaineG on 10/01/2014.

Like 3      
10 Jan 2014 9:06 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

According to the report (easily googled and you can view the video) this was NOT the GC - it was two security officers employed by a private security firm.  Appalling, but not the police.

Facts and straight come to mind!!

Like 2      
10 Jan 2014 9:26 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Yes, that's right they were private security not police or guardia civil and are under investigation. It has brought into question the new changes in law that will affect private security guards whihc is due to come into play within a month or so. ie. they will be able to arrest/search people... which they can not do at the moment. But yes a camara is always a good line of defense.

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 2      
10 Jan 2014 9:31 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

This was on Spanish TV. As Pitby says, they were two private security personnel employed by Carrefour. Both Carrefour and the security firm have issued apologies and the security personnel were dismissed. According to the law, they can only detain suspects until the police or Guardia Civil arrives. They cannot search them or take them to a back room like they did.

The French couple filed a denuncia with the Guardia Civil and the security firm can get a big fine and even have its license revoked. The French couple were interviewed by the TV reporters and the wife explained that if it had not been for her husband being able to bite the the finger of the officer who was choking him, he would have been choked while his wife was being beaten by the other officer.

The video was filmed by the couple's teenage son with his phone's camera. I

Like 1      
10 Jan 2014 10:30 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

It's on You Tube as well, in English,  some of it is animated but you can see what has happened.

Like 1      
10 Jan 2014 10:33 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Apart from the wrongness of this behaviour imagine what this will do to tourism if it is put on you tube and goes viral. God! Some police are unbelievably dumb.

It has gone on youtube and also, as said, Spanish television. The El Mundo report clearly said they were private security guards who have been sacked and both the company and Carrefour are under investigation by the Guardia Civil and face heavy penalties. Other reports are virtually word for word as in mike walsh's post but omit the "picked out by Guardia Civil officers" which he has inserted. Looking at the video, it is rather obvious that they are not Guardia Civil. 

God! Some reporters are unbelievably dumb.

Like 1      
10 Jan 2014 12:29 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Actually may need to apologise to mike walsh as this is a straight copy from Round Town News who has got it wrong.  However, checking the source of these stories may be a good idea.  I wonder if the Guardia Civil will do anything about this report?  At least The Local and El Mundo got it right.

Like 1      
10 Jan 2014 12:46 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I just spoke to the Editor of RTN.  They are concerned that they have printed a story which is apparently totally false.  They are contacting the reporter.

The Guardia may well take action against the paper. I personally believe they should.  I also think Mike Walsh should withdraw his post and apologise to the Guardia, before they take action against him too for libel.

EOS may also like to do the same before they too have problems. 

Like 2      
10 Jan 2014 1:03 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Doesn't it say on the bottom of this site that views posted on it are not necessarily the views of EOS?

I have just read the RTN article and you can well understand the confussion caused.

Like 3      
10 Jan 2014 1:11 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Doesn't it say on the bottom of this site that views posted on it are not necessarily the views of EOS?

The Daily Mail and The Daily Express forums said much the the same, but each paid out around £500,000 in compensation for libel to the McCann's for posts they published.     I do not know the law on this in Spain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_defamation_law

Like 0      
10 Jan 2014 1:22 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Spain has next to no Libal Laws or comeback over this...So Mike Walsh sleep tight.

England has the worse Libal Laws of any country, hence why a lot of the written word is...Not written.

Like 3      
10 Jan 2014 2:44 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I was quoting from the RTN in the midst of making a house move; unrelated to my take on the RTN story. Jan Gann has a very good reputation. If she has got it wrong then I feel for her. Thanks for the reminder that I may sleep tight. As I would struggle financially to meet the costs of a motoring fine I think the GC have better things to do that pursue through the courts me and many thousands of bloggers, those using social forums etc, who have reacted in good faith to news reports. I imagine the GC are kept very busy responmding to genuine complaints; they are not angels. I am by the way a columnist and freelance writer, in terms of accountability quite a different occupation to that of a reporter.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 1      
10 Jan 2014 3:02 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

I can't see the GC chasing EOS on this one :-) It is clearly a misunderstanding and I am sure the GC won't claim damages. 'Buena Fe' is very important in Spanish law and this post was clearly not written in bad faith but in reaction to a news article. 

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 2      
10 Jan 2014 3:38 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Mike

I do think you should have given credit to the publishers 'courtesy of' rather than just copy and paste a piece that readers would assume is your work.

Hey Ho, Hindsight and all that.

Like 2      
10 Jan 2014 4:04 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

TEAM GB. What on earth are you on about? You appear to be hijacking this story by making cheap and meaningless one-liner jibes of a personal nature. Will you be spending the weekend having a go at the no doubt thousands of others who, in good faith, expressed their personal opinions on a front-page newspaper article? Perhaps your time might be better spent having a go at mainstream media journalists whose accounts may differ from yours?

Last week the Daily Mail and other UK media carried a story of the North Korean dictator placing his hapless naked uncle in a cage filled with a score or so of dogs that had not been fed for a week. It was a complete make-up that had its origin in a Hong Kong satirical magazine. There, that should keep you going for a while. Selling and renting property gone a bit quiet then?

Yours is hardly a line of business that has a reputation for truthfulness or integrity is it? Those who live in glass houses? Furthermore your eagle eye might have missed it but part of my concern was the effect the story would have on tourism if the footage went viral. Tourism is your trade, not mine. Own goal, with hindsight.

Like 1      
10 Jan 2014 4:19 PM by eos_moderators Star rating in España. 173 posts Send private message

eos_moderators´s avatar

Can we keep this on thread please and not turn it into personal attacks

Thank you

Like 1      
10 Jan 2014 4:29 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Touch a nerve did I, passing off is passing off

Like 1      
11 Jan 2014 6:07 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Mmmmmmmmmm...you don't sound like a "team" player to me.  I was glad that Mike Walsh posted the item, the fact it contained an error is hardly his fault.

Like 3      
03 Mar 2014 8:58 AM by jimmyjjohn Star rating in Arizona . 14 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/3/2014 10:01:00 AM.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Non EU spouse of a British national entering Gibraltar. - 12 posts
Road side fines from the Guardia - 47 posts
Getting a UK car MOT'd in Spain - 39 posts
Indoor swimming pool Fuengirola - 2 posts
Place in the Sun - 4 posts
mortgages - 5 posts
Cameron awards MBE to his barber - 5 posts
form 210 - 1 posts
Amazon.es - 2 posts
condado golf society - 0 posts
Credit where its due - 4 posts
Passinthru - 2 posts
Thinking of moving to Spain - 9 posts
What do you thing traveling can provide us happyness ? - 2 posts
installation of air conditioning units in Murcia what should I expect to pay - 1 posts
Villa PAC's - 4 posts
Feliz Navidad - 0 posts
electronic submission of form 210 - 5 posts
Spanish private lessons or conversation - 0 posts
A place in the sun tv - 7 posts
Private Buyer looking to buy Spanish Property asap - 0 posts
Returning Sales goods - 0 posts
Outpatient drugs to be funded by patients from January onwards - 0 posts
Happy New Year. - 1 posts
costaluz lawyers - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 20

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x