Jaen's restaurant, Guardamar town centre, CB

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Jul 2007 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Jaen's restaurant is great. It's along the main road through Guardamar town, on the right coming from Torrevieja side. Park in the free car park just after the Halifax bank & the Bedz shop on right & then walk. (Car park's always quiet except on Wednesday which is market day.)We'd been meaning to try Jaen's for a long time & finally went last month.

We had a lunchtime MDD, available till 4pm we were told. 3 courses with a glass of wine 8€.  We also had individual plates of salad. (We bought a bottle of wine too, only 3€ !) On Wednesday, as it's market day, it's busy with a capital B ! Menu is extensive even for lunchtime. If I say 10 choices on each course it'll not be far wrong. Plenty of fish, meat, pasta dishes. Huge portions. We ate in the bar as the restaurant room, which is huge, wasn't open, don't know why. Can't wait to go again, have heard evenings there are manic & fun.

Like 0      
18 Jul 2007 4:12 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

I can vouch for the wine in Jaen's.

We are still trying to get rid of the fumes as Janice came in our office when they left the restaurant.

I think it may be responsible for the death of two of our plants!!!!

There is also a planning application in to make the paths wider near Jaen's as they are obviously not wide enough for some people who tend to zig zag crab fashion back to their car!poor Chris, obviously driving again.

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
18 Jul 2007 4:49 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

You bugger, Georgia. It's definitely most likely your plants (& I never saw any) died from fumes from you &

whathisname's smoke !!  

Chris only has one small glass of plonk when he's driving, being aware of drink/driving laws in Spain. Spain has strict drink driving laws, only allowing 0.5 milligrams of alcohol per millilitre of blood - stricter than the UK where the limit is 0.8. Police are always stopping people for anything so you must be careful.

Haven't you got clients to annoy today ?

Like 0      
18 Jul 2007 4:57 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

yep,annoyed them that much they bought a property,new policy.

Thought i would move on to someone else now.

Is it still raining there?

You couldn't see my office plants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are about six foot tall!!!!!!!!!!!!!! blimey you were pis.....d!

Off now for football training,the mayor is opening a new sports centre at Daya Vieja at the end of August and i have been asked to represent England in the opening game against the spanish! have asked for the red cross,air ambulance and an oxygen tent on stand by,plus 20 ciggies in case resucitation is needed.

georgia x

Like 0      
18 Jul 2007 5:49 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
 here today, Georgia. 

Like 0      
18 Jul 2007 5:52 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like 0      
10 Oct 2007 1:40 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Resurrecting Jaen's thread.

Last month we went one evening &, if you're not waiting for the restaurant to open (opens 7.30pm but be there 7.15pm), you'll likely not get in. You can reserve, however though that may be for large groups only. It's closed Mondays. Once again we had a very good MDD for only 8€ too !! (In the evening it's same price as lunchtime).

Like 0      
12 Oct 2007 8:16 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Been to Jaen loads of times and agree it is brilliant. We usually have menu del dia for 8 euro and is fantastic value. Salad with bread and alioli, starter, main, dessert plus drink all for 8 euro. We always get free samples of other dishes as well. It makes me laugh when you ask for the bill. He seems to look at table and than make up a price. Atmosphere is great too. When we took our grand-daughter she couldn't believe how noisy it was.

Like 0      
12 Oct 2007 9:04 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Oh, I forgot to say, just don't look at the filth on the ceiling fans or in the kitchen. If it has a certificate of hygeine, I'd be most surprised. It's commonly mentioned that you can see what's on the menu by what's on the boss's apron. As ayrez says they bring you lots of extra dishes. At first you think you've been given someone else's food but seems it's just freebies. Careful of their alioli, boy, it takes your head off, it's so crammed with garlic. You never go hungry at Jaen's. Extra bottles of wine are 3€ a bottle. Drinks are 1€ each. Guess where we're going in November ?

Like 0      
12 Oct 2007 9:11 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Can't believe that about the alioli, I think it is the best thing and could make a meal with just the bread and that. Our grand-daughter also now addicted. We had to send her back to UK with cartons of it in her case. Good thing they didn't burst or the sniffer dogs would wonder what had hit them. 

Like 0      
12 Oct 2007 9:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I tell you the garlic was powerful, maybe they went over mad that day.  We love alioli, we buy the yellow plastic tubs of it in Mercadonna. We've found same brand in Morrisons here mind you, bit pricier.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 10/12/2007.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 2:46 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Morerosada,

Often wondered what this delicacy was!

Our neighbours call it "olly olly"!

It is lovely I give you that, but do you know if it is made of butter, or buttermilk?

I would love to think it is made of pure butter, I love to be unhealthly on my hols!

Hope you can help?

Kind regards

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 4:21 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Hi Fibby, aioli (or alioli in Spain) is just mayonnaise with garlic - there is no butter in it at all, only egg yolk, oil and seasoning (eg garlic, lemon juice, salt, etc.).  Very simple to make yourself, actually (and alot better tasting!).

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 7:02 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Thanks Pitby, silly me, I wondered why my Chicken Kiev didn't turn out quite right!

It tasted lovely though, but of course, no garlic butter oozed out.

More didn't know the answer to that one, so thanks Pitby

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 7:44 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Ah No

The ali oli butter that more refers to is a butter unlike the ali oli mayonaise, we had it in a restaurant once. They fried slices of french bread in olive oil and this spread was lovely. We found it in mercadonna in a yellow tub. Scrummy

Like 0      
14 Oct 2007 2:06 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Gina!

I knew I wasn't cracking up that bad when I made chicken Kiev with it!

I too found it in Carrefour in a yellow tub, with a lid shaped like a flower!

So, Morerosada and Pitby are both right!

Thanks ladies!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
14 Oct 2007 4:12 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Okay, Ladies!!

As a confirmed food fanatic - and a perfectionist to boot!! -- alioli is, translation, garlic and oil!  It is a basic commodity in alot of recipes and as an accompaniment.  It is garlic and oil and, in mostly all cases, egg yolk, along with seasoning, eg a garlic mayonnaise.  If there is a restaurant or supermarket/manufacturer out there using the name "alioli" for butter, it seems it is an "alioli" flavoured butter, or otherwise a "garlic flavoured" butter or something like that!  Maybe a garlic butter!!

But, alioli is garlic mayonnaise - full stop (sounds better than period!!).

Have I got it wrong somewhere?

(sorry, but it's something I use alot myself and am very passionate about it!).

Like 0      
14 Oct 2007 5:24 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
well it's very nice whatever it is

Like 0      
14 Oct 2007 5:28 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

hiya

i dont really want to muddy the waters, but i have been told that the literal translation for alioli is garlic and olive oil, but is used to refer to a garlic and olive oil spread.   My experience (limited as it is) has only been of the garlic mayonnaise type alioli - but i wondered, since there is "spread" which is supposedly "olive oil" based such as Bertoli or Olivio or whatever they are calling it now, whether there was a similar spread also including garlic which could also (by some stretch of the imagination) be referred to as alioli as it is a garlic and olive oil based spread?

Like 0      
14 Oct 2007 5:46 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Just to clarify (excuse the pun!), olive oil usually has to incorporate another ingredient to become a spread, such as egg yolk or butter, or other compound.  I believe that any olive oil spread you find will have butter or some other compound added to make it a "spread".

My literal translation didn't say "olive" oil, but just "oil" because I didn't want to be too pedantic!  You can also make mayonnaise with other oils.  Just wanted to point out that alioli did not have any butter in it!

I'm a total fanatic for looking at ingredients in anything I buy, especially as I do a lot of cooking at home.  Hence why I just had to respond to this!!

Sorry folks, am just a total food freak!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 10/14/2007.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

cleaning - 0 posts
La Recoleta, EGM - 2 posts
Long term rental Northern Costa Blanca? - 0 posts
Site visit today 18th January - 13 posts
Cash prize on new price comparison site - 6 posts
I've a very happy hubby tonight. - 3 posts
REBNY or MLS - 2 posts
Pocket Pages for the CB - 18 posts
New meat for the grinder! - 20 posts
Playa Flamenca - 16 posts
DANCING HORSES RETURN TO LA MARINA, CB, ON 5th AUGUST - 0 posts
Timeshare - 23 posts
Dogs Hunt In Packs For Protection! - 39 posts
car leasing in spain - 22 posts
Where are our rights? - 0 posts
british cars in spain - 3 posts
reregister vehicle - 2 posts
Assignable contracts? - 2 posts
Distressed Cleaning! - 15 posts
lost cousin - 0 posts
Garden furniture table/ chairs loungers etc. - 16 posts
Auntie Em & Kenco - 2 posts
Film Reviews - 48 posts
long term rent - 3 posts
Light fittings - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 34

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x