british cars in spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Jul 2007 12:00 AM by bill and eddy Star rating in valencia area. 5 posts Send private message

hi everyone hope you are well and enjoying life

Question:-   I have a british car...taking to spain when we move and i know how hard it is to register it in spain and i know that you are allowed 6 months on a british plate....BUT...what if we drive the car out of  spain and return in say 2 weeks does this get us round the 6 months barrier AND the 6 months starts again thus the car will be taxed and insured in the uk..............................many thanks bill and eddy

Like 0      
16 Jul 2007 1:09 PM by noelandwilma Star rating in Loughborough/Porto F.... 86 posts Send private message

It might be that you could fall foul of the insurance company, most allow a short time out of the UK but 6 months may well find you without insurance. Not a position I would like to be in when driving in Spain (the various spanish police forces, nacional, Guardia Civil and policia local, may not look kindly on you if you are stopped or are involved in an accident). Far easier, and in the long run probably cheaper, would be to buy in Spain.

Good luck

Like 0      
16 Jul 2007 2:55 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Technically it's 6 months in a year, and in certain areas traffico are cracking down on foreign plated cars.  You may be stopped and have the car confiscated if all your documents aren't in order.

If you are planning on applying for residencia then you can also re register your car onto Spanish plates. 

Our neighbours have done this for their right hand drive car but you have to realise that you will have problems when driving in Spain.  Many people complain that some accidents are caused by people driving right hand cars also simple things like paying tolls and picking up parking tickets at car park entrances will be difficult if there is only one person in car.

You can trade in your right hand car but doubt whether you would get much, second hand cars are expensive here but still worth.  Personally I wouldn't like to drive around advertising my nationality via my number plate, could be asking for trouble

Like 0      
16 Jul 2007 3:48 PM by davey Star rating in Wigan /La Tercia Mur.... 205 posts Send private message

davey´s avatar

Information for any future residents of Spain who are considering taking their UK Registered Car to Spain, it would appear that you are now required to change your UK number plates to Spanish Registered Plates within 30 days. You may also have to prove that you are a tourist, and you are not intending to stay in Spain longer than 3 mths .

If you are a Resident and are driving on UK registered Plates, you are now required to change them for Spanish Registered Plates within 30 DAYS

http://www.expatfocus.com/your-car-is-in-danger-in-spain-part-1

http://www.expatfocus.com/your-car-is-in-danger-in-spain-part-2

** EDITED ** Please link to actual page with information on other site

This message was last edited by davey on 7/17/2007.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

reregister vehicle - 2 posts
Assignable contracts? - 2 posts
Distressed Cleaning! - 15 posts
lost cousin - 0 posts
Garden furniture table/ chairs loungers etc. - 16 posts
Auntie Em & Kenco - 2 posts
Film Reviews - 48 posts
long term rent - 3 posts
Light fittings - 2 posts
Help with inserting photos - 6 posts
Estate agent fees - 4 posts
legalalising holiday lets - 20 posts
Very short video on driving along the N332 to Alicante airport but funny......... - 6 posts
sea fishing - 13 posts
Almunecar Car-boot Sale - 0 posts
Hi everyone, what a useful site - 4 posts
Sports for kids - 5 posts
Order of Things to do - 4 posts
The page will not fit my screen! - 5 posts
Just saying Hi - 3 posts
Cheap Flights To Alicante - 0 posts
Hello from sunny Scarborough - 29 posts
Glad i found this Site!! - 3 posts
Has anyone else lost their forums? - 15 posts
LAS NIETAS, SUCINA - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x