Timeshare

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Jul 2007 12:00 AM by davey2187 Star rating in Pontefract, La Torre.... 136 posts Send private message

I have a few weeks timeshare in Fuerteventura I am trying to sell on and I have approached a company and received the following reply, I would just like to know if anyone has heard of them and if they are genuine?

Dear Mr Smiff,
Further to our telephone conversation, this is to confirm that one of our corporate clients is interested in acquiring Elite Club and Club Montecastillo ownerships. The value of the contract is £xx; this is including the fee required to secure the offer which will be made within a twelve week period from the date of the contract.

The payment of £850 is a Marketing Fee and is non refundable. This fee, however, has been incorporated into your Selling Price and is therefore redeemable at point of sale.

Trusting that the above is acceptable, we look forward to assisting you with the sale of your timeshare ownership.

Please visit our fully comprehensive website at www.etoo.com for any further information.

Kind regards,

European Timeshare Owners Organisation (Gibraltar) Ltd.

P.S. Please see our latest newsletter athttp://newsweaver.co.uk/etoo/

Like 0      
16 Jul 2007 6:43 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Davey 2187

We too had timeshare in Tenerife, don't own now, long long story!!!

However, we still have banked weeks and have been approached by various companies to sell our timeshare, which as I just said, we no longer own!!

These companies work of lists that do the rounds and our name is obviously still on it.

However, I have not heard of this company, I would be very very suspicious of ALL timeshare companies!

Trust me, I have heard and done the works!

My advice to you would be to contact Sandy Gray at the TCA in Europe (Timeshare Comsumers Association)

http://www.timeshare.org.uk/atce.html

He will advice you about the professionalism of this company.

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
16 Jul 2007 6:45 PM by davey2187 Star rating in Pontefract, La Torre.... 136 posts Send private message

Thanks Fibby will do

Like 0      
16 Jul 2007 6:47 PM by tyrills Star rating in bootle,merseyside/po.... 73 posts Send private message

tyrills´s avatar

hi davy,
             they have a client lined up to buy your timeshare but want 850 of you for marketing fees which you will get back
             on completion, so why charge it in the first place,doesnt sound quite right to me
              just mt oppinion . jeff

Like 0      
16 Jul 2007 8:56 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

Don't touch it with a barge pole would be my advice.  Fibby is right - timeshare consumers association is a good one. I still get phone calls from these companies (you always know when a list has been sold on again!) & I sold mine about 3 years ago now. They aren't very chuffed when I tell them that either!!

Etoo rings a VERY dubious bell with me as well - be careful!!

Like 0      
16 Jul 2007 9:16 PM by davey2187 Star rating in Pontefract, La Torre.... 136 posts Send private message

Thanks all, I got this link from another helpful site

http://www.grumbletext.co.uk/vt.php?t=984&subj=complaints+Etoo.com+complaint

Hope it helps others

Dave

Like 0      
23 Aug 2007 11:03 PM by margaret magee Star rating. 38 posts Send private message

I know it is a few weeks since you posted about timeshare. My story started 3 years ago when we decided we were going to be moving permanently to CDS. We have a Gold week 2 bedroom apartment in the Marriott Marbella Resort. We were recommended to ETOO by the Marriott. ETOO took euros 840 to market our week. Three years later (recently) they contacted us to say would we pay another euros 1,040. They had a buyer. Next we were told we had to be there in person, and would we come to Portugal to meet the corporate buyers (flights to be paid by ourselves). I discovered by talking further that they also operated out of Fuengirola. I have managed to get an appointment in September with them (while we are there on holiday), but don't really hold out much hope. I will follow up this story when I get back mid-September.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2007 11:31 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

HI Margaret, We were approached by EToo as well, about 3 three years ago they wanted £450 pounds from us to advertise the 2weeks we have at Anfi Beach in Gran Canaria. I was stupid then I paid that amount  but nothing else happened.  Then I kept getting phone calls if I paid another 850 Pounds because they had a corporate client lined up, I refused to do this.   Then they kept asking me to go to Tenerife or Spain to meet this client I refused to do this.  So result we still have the two weeks timeshare I do really love it their so did not really want to sell.    The Daily financial Mail did an article on them so be warned.  We did get a call the other day from a company in London so I will wait and see.    So be very careful Regards Pat

Like 0      
24 Aug 2007 5:54 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Oh dear, these Timeshare people are still at it!

I am shocked that "Marriott" is involved though, friends of ours have just bought in Marbella and at last, I thought with the Marriott brand name, they would be safe.

Personally, I would never ever part with my money to sell my timeshare!

I had a call only 2 weeks ago from Tenerife, saying they had clients in the offices who wanted to buy our holiday package (Club Class Holidays). They wanted the deal done immediately as the clients were flying back to the UK with 48 hours.

The deal was:

They (some obscure Marketing company) had sold our holiday club package for £4,000 to this couple.

They would e-mail me the relevant documents, for me to sign, scan and e-mail back.

The sale would then be binding with the buyers, they couldn't back out.

Two weeks later, I would receive in the post an indemnity.

I then had to send by bank transfer £750 as some sort of gobbledegook payment, which would then be refunded to me when the client's funds came it for the sale and they had received the indemnity back.

They would then transfer to my bank the full £4,000

Ok, I said, I'll tell you what, I will sign everything you want, but you just deduct the £750 from the £4,000 and give me the balance.

That way, you get to make your £750 anyway and I am quite happy to get less than the £4,000 that has been offered, just to complete the sale.

The caller was gobsmacked, didn't know what to say and just said "I take it you don't want to sell then?"

"What? I said, of course I want to sell, I just told you how I was willing to do the money transaction, but the way I want it conducted, not your way"

Guess what?

She put the phone down on me......................

Please, be warned, never ever give money up front to sell timeshare.......................if the catch you out 1st time round, they will be back sniffing for me as in your case, because they have you down on their files as "gullible".

Harsh words sorry, but true ones.

Kind regards,

This message was last edited by FibbyUK on 8/24/2007.

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
24 Aug 2007 7:08 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

No the article in the Daily Mail said do not pay anything upfront if the Company is genuine they will deduct commission   when sold.  The guy that rang me from Mayfair said he would not charge anything till sold so we will wait and see.  Pat

This message was last edited by Pat and Roy on 8/24/2007.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2007 7:19 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Sorry Pat & Roy!

I was replying to Margaret!!!!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
24 Aug 2007 7:27 PM by margaret magee Star rating. 38 posts Send private message

Hi Fibby,  Thanks for your input. I am sorry to say we also thought we were safe with the "Marriott" name. Just goes to show, you aren't safe with anyone. We have been more than happy with our timeshare but we are retiring to CDS next year and it will be no use to us then. Any hols we make will be to the grandchildren. 

Like 0      
24 Aug 2007 7:33 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

We too are/were in the same position.

We owned a week red time in Tenerife, but lost that as the property was sold and our weeks were transferred to a holiday package.

The holdiay package had such an astronomical maintenance fee, that we just walked away.

I know, what a scandal, but our hands, and all others owners hands were tied.

Our Club Class holiday package was something we were given years ago, as compensation for another holiday club we had paid into, going broke.

We still have weeks banked with RCI, but as we don't pay the membership any more, we cant take those!

Which ever way you turn with timeshare, they have you by the short and curlies so to speak!!!!

I wish you good luck, but please, don't throw any more money at it.....................

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
25 Aug 2007 10:08 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

You would be better joinging with friends or faminly and buying a private property then sharing it between you!

When I was in the rental business, I looked after a unit like that. There were a whole load of owners, I think they bought in a company name and there were about 20 of them.

Turns out they all put cash into a pot and the fund or company bought various holiday properties. Some weeks were rented out to cover the basic running costs as with no mortgage there was only the community fees cleaning etc. The rest of the time was split between the owners. I dont know how they sorted weeks out without arguing but it seemed a great idea.

Timeshare has always had a bad name, thou would LOVE to get my sales fee paid in advance!!!!

Have a great weekend everyone (yes in office working! but only for an hour as the beach beckons.....!)

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
25 Aug 2007 10:32 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Yes that is a better idea as long as everyone doesn't need to go around the same time of year, with all the extra money you have to pay on top of the initial time share outlay this would definately work out cheaper in the long term.

We have only been caught once for a timeshare presentation, never again.  The pressure sales tactics were horrendous but I didn't budge an inch there was no way we could afford it now matter how they tristed the figures to suit our situation.  The only reason we were "released" was because I came over all faint as we had been on our way to breakfast when we received the magic scratch cards.  I suffer from low blood sugar and apparently I went as white as a sheet and they couldn't get rid of us quick enough.

This was in Lanzerote later we would regularly holiday in Benalmadena my husband would regularly take the cards offered, I would immediately hand them back with a few terse words.  Once bitten definately twice shy.

Personally I think you are brave Margaret to go into the lions den after reading the site listed earlier about other people's dealings with these crooks.  I don't see it having a happy ending, you know what they say if something seems to good to be true then it normally is.

Wish you all the best and don't forget stay strong and don't part with a penny or should I say centenimous.

Like 0      
25 Aug 2007 10:47 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

That reminds me of many many years ago on holiday in Spain with my boyfriend at the time I think it was in 1986/87. The N340 was just about being built, the road around spain was a single carriageway, Banana Beach was a lovely small chiringuito with Mel WIlliams playing live rock - ahh those were the days...anyway, the bf thought it would be good to take up the timeshare offer and 'earn' 25 mil (25000 ptas) for a trip which was suuuurely only a couple of hours.

Well after the taxi took us to the middle of nowhere - it is now the Alanda club! (four seasons) we looked around, shown around etc etc etc. Then came the hard sell, the closer taking his watch off and all sorts.

In the end the bf said we were unemployed and then boy they couldnt wait to get rid of us - and yes I gave him a rollocking as we had wasted a whole day there!!!!!

So thats your get out clause, unemployed!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
25 Aug 2007 1:29 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Alternatively just tell them that you dont want it - people seem to forget we all have freedom of choice - forget the hard sell or pressure sell - if you dont want it you dont want it and thats end of story - if they keep on at you then one has a perfectly good pair of legs (normally before sundown anyway) stand up and walk out - for goodness sake its what most nationalities would do - the polite reserve of the Brit is what these people prey on!!

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
25 Aug 2007 2:23 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

We would have walked out if we knew where we were.  Taken by taxi to god knows where and two hours of high pressure selling.

Little did they know that they could talk all they liked but there was no way I was going to be taken in.  After a while they started to ring a bell to denote a sale? I just wanted to pick it up and hit them over the head with it.

As a race we are too polite for own good, recently though I've been getting a lot of cold callers at the door tying to get me to change gas/electric supplier.  These get short shrift from me, the last one looked totally shocked at my reaction.  They are worse than double glazing companies

Like 0      
25 Aug 2007 5:46 PM by margaret magee Star rating. 38 posts Send private message

I guess there just is NO happy ending for a timeshare story. I am not going by taxi to my appointment but by hire car so can walk out at any time, if necessary. I must be mad but I am determined to keep the appointment and see if they do make an offer to buy!!

Like 0      
25 Aug 2007 6:05 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Margaret I would be very interested in the outcome they have asked us a few times to go to Tenerife and Mijas and I have refused to do so. I think they have given up asking now Thank goodness.   But would love to here how you get on Good Luck, Pat

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Dogs Hunt In Packs For Protection! - 39 posts
car leasing in spain - 22 posts
Where are our rights? - 0 posts
british cars in spain - 3 posts
reregister vehicle - 2 posts
Assignable contracts? - 2 posts
Distressed Cleaning! - 15 posts
lost cousin - 0 posts
Garden furniture table/ chairs loungers etc. - 16 posts
Auntie Em & Kenco - 2 posts
Film Reviews - 48 posts
long term rent - 3 posts
Light fittings - 2 posts
Help with inserting photos - 6 posts
Estate agent fees - 4 posts
legalalising holiday lets - 20 posts
Very short video on driving along the N332 to Alicante airport but funny......... - 6 posts
sea fishing - 13 posts
Almunecar Car-boot Sale - 0 posts
Hi everyone, what a useful site - 4 posts
Sports for kids - 5 posts
Order of Things to do - 4 posts
The page will not fit my screen! - 5 posts
Just saying Hi - 3 posts
Cheap Flights To Alicante - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x