IBI calculations

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jan 2012 12:00 AM by casa_hiedra Star rating in Marina de Casares. 3 posts Send private message

I believe that my IBI has been wrongly calculated as the sizes given are incorrect.

I know how IBI is calculated and I think that it is based on CONSTRUCTED area rather than the size of the plot.  Can anyone tell me what I need to measure?  I have a mixture of internal space, covered terraces and open terraces.  On a document from the town hall I have the following:

Uso                                            Escalera    Planta     Puerta       Superficie m2
Vivienda                                       1                00             01                   61
Vivienda                                       1                01             01                   72
Vivienda                                       1                02             01                   18
Otros Usos                                  2                00             01                   34
Elementos Comunos                                                                             3
Total                                                                                                      150

Thanks

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 7:51 PM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

Impuesto sobre Bienes Inmuebles (known as IBI) is fixed by the local authorities, depending on both the value of the land and of the property itself.

The Tax is based on the Cadastral value of your property This value is found on your IBI bill.

Each year the Cadastral value increaces by 2%. If like me you have owned your property for 8 years the Town Hall will value my property at 16% above the purchase price.

With regards to land area this will be shown on your Escritura which the Town Hall and land registary have access to and base there assesment on.

If you have completed any changes to your property the permission value will be added to the value of the property.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.

If not. I hope this helps.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 8:58 PM by casa_hiedra Star rating in Marina de Casares. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks for the reply but you didn't answer my question.  I already knew what you told me (technical stuff).

Like 0      
26 Jan 2012 7:53 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Your tax liability is calculated by reference to the cadastral value of your property. The cadastral value ("valor catastral") is equivalent to the UK rateable value.  The total cadastral value ("valor catastral total") for the year in question is the figure we need.  This is made up of two components: the land value ("valor catastral suelo") and the property value ("valor catastral construccion").  It does not relate directly to the purchase price or market value of your property.

I.E. What you should earn, theoretically , in renting it.

It varies from area to area.  Here , the value of land is not included but assessed seperately. historically the valor catastral is 20 x less than the market value but unfortunately this is now not the case as shown in areas of the CDS where the revaluations have left people with values of 3 or 4 x more than the market value !

My own value is 17 x less than purchase price & probably 60 x less now than market value, even in the 'crisis' market !

When they revalued here in 2005 ours went down by 30% as they reduced the valor catastral & the % payment amount. No idea why & it is correct as I went in numerous times thinking a mistake had been made !

In this area there is no automatic yearly increase  but is assessed by the local council.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2012 9:39 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 804 posts Send private message

Certainly in Lorca covered terraces and patios ,within the frame work of the build, are measured at 50% of area involved. 

However it appears there are no set rules in calculating  IBI in Spain so perhaps your architect would be the best person to ask.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2012 9:51 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have a friend who has the wrong area for her apartment shown on her escritura and thus she is paying quite a lot more in IBI than she should, gping back 20 years.

I understand that she cannot just submit the correct measurements to the town hall to get the error remedied. It must be done by a qualified surveyor accepted by the town hall.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2012 5:29 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

IBI is taken from Catastro data and not from escritura data

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 Jan 2012 1:08 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This is bit like the chicken and the egg.

What ever it is when my friend enquired about getting the error corrected she was told by the town hall

"  she cannot just submit the correct measurements to the town hall to get the error remedied. It must be done by a qualified surveyor accepted by the town hall. "

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Do you need to be resident to work in spain - 29 posts
Nearest hospital please??? - 2 posts
yahoo mail problems - 3 posts
Some People - 1 posts
PLEASE HELP, WHAT FORM DO I NEED? - 2 posts
Transport to UK From Spain and Back from UK to Spain and Man with van - 1 posts
permission to move!! - 2 posts
Return of deposits from Aifos in 2003 - 33 posts
Car Rental Malaga Airport, Hire Full of Fuel, Return Full - 0 posts
where to hire cots and stair gate - 3 posts
unlimited wireless broadband - 18 posts
How To Save Money Traveling In Europe - 1 posts
Missing Person...My Husband. - 15 posts
RHD UK plates Ford Transit LWB - 0 posts
Statutes not registered.......... - 7 posts
A Long Let - 3 posts
Decisions, dicisions? - 3 posts
advice on rental contracts and use of avals - 0 posts
Looking for work in spain this summer - 5 posts
Mojon Hills, what's the forum view, good, great place to invest? - 7 posts
Hello - 2 posts
has anyone purchased at Lomas, Vera Playa, 2 bed 1 bath from €59k - 18 posts
removal of name on deeds on jointly owned house - 8 posts
10 Litre Double Electric Fryer For Sale 200Euros - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x