Self employed tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Hola,

My partner has just gone back to the UK to work for a care agency. She has been told she can earn 7,400 pounds tax free per year. Does that mean she will have to pay the full income tax for a year then reclaim it or she won´t be taxed at all until she has earned over 7,400?

I know this is a Spanish forum, but i thought you may have some UK tax knowledgeable people on board.

Many Thanks,

Amatista

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 10:33 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As an employee in UK one is subject to PAYE, thus the employer stops the tax due each month, according to one's tax code.  The tax tables used by the employer show how much tax must be paid.  If the earning are below the tax threshold then there would be no tax.

However, one must notify the tax office and get a tax code otherwise, they will be taxed on an emergency code, which will mean tax will be stopped, I believe even on the lowest of earnings.

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 10:44 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Aah yes, I should have said that she will be working on a self employed basis, so does she receive her wages from the agency tax free until she earns over 7,400 pounds, or is that something she would have to claim back after the first tax year?

Thanks,

Amatista

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 12:30 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If one is self emplyed (I believe one must be registered with the tax office anyway) then the employer does not stop any tax, it up to you to declare and pay it..

Hopwever, if you cannot satisfy the 'employer' that you are recognised by the tax offoce as self employed then they will stop tax, I believe on all payments, and you will need to claim it back.-.

I suggest you see (lots of info):-          http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/migrantworkers/english.pdf

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Tax in Spain - 11 posts
Lawyers for Conveyancing - Different types? - 11 posts
Lawyers - different types - 0 posts
Satellite tv, white card, loss of channels Andalucia - 8 posts
Looking for 2B Apt Marbella San Pedro area, to move around 16/09/11 - 0 posts
conversacion español-ingles en Skype - 0 posts
Non-Resident Income Tax - A Guide - 20 posts
BBC iplayer - 28 posts
transport for a ski walker from Cheltenham to Alicante ? - 0 posts
Is this about right - 9 posts
wi fi in hotels and airports - 5 posts
UK or Spanish Driving Licence - 11 posts
Any advice on the Nerja/Almunecar area - 10 posts
obtaining a spanish driving licence - 18 posts
Childrens' Car Seats - 1 posts
Is there an answer - 1 posts
Betamax Video Recorder - 0 posts
Good News —Titleist 712 Series Irons - 0 posts
Help - 1 posts
spanish lessons - 22 posts
TV....... - 11 posts
Polymorphic light eruption - 0 posts
Furniture Pack for sale - 0 posts
P J's rent a car Alicante - 3 posts
Can you recommend a Gestor in Seville ? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x