TV.......

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by PeterInSpain Star rating in Marbella, Spain. 39 posts Send private message

Hi All,

Someone just asked me if its possible to have a full Sky package (primarily including the Sport) for a week over here. To my knowledge one has to commit for a year - can anyone please give me any advice on this?

Thanks in advance!

Peter

Like 0      
01 Sep 2011 5:40 PM by SuzyTabs Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello Peter,

I'm no expert but I think the only way this is possible for one week is to bring your own Sky Card from the UK (assuming you subscribe to all the packages -  you should receive the same ones here). Of course, you will need a box but we know people who even bring that over from the UK! However, they do share a Sky dish with the community.

Like 0      
01 Sep 2011 5:51 PM by PeterInSpain Star rating in Marbella, Spain. 39 posts Send private message

Hi Suzy

Thanks very much - the apartment has a sky box in place (with the free channels but no Sports etc). Just need a way of getting the sport for a week!

All ideas welcomed and appreciated!

Peter

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 10:43 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Peter, try asking some of the satellite companies if you can hire a card for a week.

Speak to DHS (Direct Home Satellite) for example.

Or, like Suzy says, you bring your own card from home.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 10:45 AM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

I am confused why go on holiday to watch TV

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 1:14 PM by PeterInSpain Star rating in Marbella, Spain. 39 posts Send private message

Thanks Justin - will give that a go.

Smythie - very funny! Its not for me its for a customer (and they are always right remember......)

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 1:23 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I believe the card must be authorised in the box in which you will use it , thus one from UK may not work,

Also, with at least MOST Sky programs (if not all) you cannot legally receive them outside UK or Irish Republic.

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 1:26 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

PeterIS

you have cusomers who ar RIGHT

must make life a bit difficult lol

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 1:40 PM by PeterInSpain Star rating in Marbella, Spain. 39 posts Send private message

hahaha thats what we tell them at least Smythie  

Like 0      
04 Sep 2011 12:10 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
I believe the card must be authorised in the box in which you will use it , thus one from UK may not work,

A Sky card will work in ANY Sky box.
However, for the PREMIUM CHannels - Sky Sports and Sky Movies - then the card must be paired tot he box that it will be used in.
Some "non sky" boxes are able to read the Sky cards, but you do forgo the interactive / text and 7 day EPG options on these boxes, and are stuck with "now and next" information.

Also, with at least MOST Sky programs (if not all) you cannot legally receive them outside UK or Irish Republic.
It is NOT ILLEGAL to use a Sky card outside the UK and ROI.
It IS against the terms and condition of the Sky contract. If Sky know that the card is being used against the T&Cs, then they will terminate the contract and deactivate the card.
The difference being that using a Sky card outside the UK and ROI is a contractual matter between you and Sky. It is not against any law in Spain to use a Sky card outside the UK and ROI, so it is not illegal to use one in Spain.
It is also NOT ILLEGAL to watch the free to air channels (BBC, ITV, Sky News, True Movies etc) in Spain. Reception of free to air channels is perfectly legal. The broadcasters may not like it and so the BBC / ITV try to restrict viewing by placing their channels on a satellite with a "restrictive beam, but there is llittle they can do to stop you from receiving these FTA signals.

The only way you will be able to get a card for 1 week of Sky Sports is to find someone to borrow the card and box from for 1 week. No one will actiavte and deactivate a card for you for 1 week. And if they add the package to their card, then they must give 31 days notice to reduce the package, and you cannot do any changes to a package for 30 days after the last change (they say).

(Someone once said to me the customer is not always right, they just think they are right!)

This message was last edited by satandpcguy on 04/09/2011.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
04 Sep 2011 2:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sat Guy

OK it was a 'slip of the pen.'  

But the point which I was making, which you confirm, is that  is  contrary to civil law (i.e. tantamount to illegal).

Like 0      
05 Sep 2011 9:36 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Have to agree .. why go on holiday for only 7 days then spend it stressing about watching sport

Anyway, there are a multitude (unfortunately imho) of bars with sport on the telly throughout the Costas where you can sit out in the Sunshine enjoying a pint and watching the box if you must.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Polymorphic light eruption - 0 posts
Furniture Pack for sale - 0 posts
P J's rent a car Alicante - 3 posts
Can you recommend a Gestor in Seville ? - 0 posts
empdonamiento - 8 posts
WANTED unfurnished 2/3 bed for long term rent - 4 posts
VOLUNTEERS REQUIRED TO HELP LAY CONCRETE - 0 posts
To Mr or Ms Mod - 0 posts
Forum help...er help! - 6 posts
is there a Spanish 0845 equiv - 3 posts
EXCERCISE BICYCLE - 0 posts
Spanish domain name - 2 posts
Eye on my villa! - 8 posts
No furniture and no refund - 7 posts
Sales Consultants required for immediate start - 0 posts
Child friendly - 1 posts
aledo murcia - 1 posts
Phone Cards - 4 posts
going through the euro tunnel - 8 posts
Iglesias Associates - Lawyers in Fuengirola/Alhaurin el Grande - 0 posts
injury in spain - 3 posts
Take your Solicitor (Abogado) to court. - 69 posts
who wants a top sat nav? - 2 posts
Furniture Pack - 0 posts
A BIG THANK YOU! - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x