BBC iplayer

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by blackrabbitz Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

does anyone know how to watch bbc iplayer in Spain? I keep getting 'service not available'..

Like 0      
05 Sep 2011 12:55 PM by GWS Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi

My undertsanding is that you need to con the BBC server that you are in the UK . To do that you need to access the BBC via a Proxy Server. Just Google Proxy Sever and there will be lots avaialable - usually for a small fee. Luckily, my son, in the UK, has his own, so I access BBC and National Lottery through that.

Good luck

Like 0      
05 Sep 2011 1:12 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Download      expat.com

Then when it is enabled you will 'appear' to be in the City of London.  Thus no problem with 'being in the wrong place'

Like 0      
05 Sep 2011 4:38 PM by muddyleopard Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

I use  "uktvaccess" (one word) ,has no buffering problem and the technical support people are really helpful..

Like 0      
05 Sep 2011 5:06 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

sosry should have been :       www.expatshield. com

Its free and works very well

Like 0      
07 Sep 2011 5:30 PM by blackrabbitz Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

thank you muddy! uktvaccess has really good service :)

Like 0      
08 Sep 2011 1:13 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I use onspeed for mine.  Cheap as chips.

I blogged about it here:

Watch BBC iPlayer in Spain

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
09 Sep 2011 9:11 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Having got fed up with watching NCIS every night, despite being in love with the exceedingly strong silent Gibbs I downloaded expatshield (for a technophobe like me a big achievement!) It is working OK but every couple of minutes adverts kick in, can't see them but the sound is loud and clear over the sound of the programme, probably why it's a free service. Is there any way to get rid of this nuisance or should I  just download another service? Thanks.

This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 09/09/2011.

This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 10/09/2011.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
10 Sep 2011 9:17 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Poppy,  I don't have that problem.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2011 9:55 AM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Poppy

Neither do I have the problem as you describe it. I used to get the adverts "in full view" but no sound. I cured that by taking up an add-on with Sea Monkey (a subset of Mozilla) to block all ads. This certainly works.

This message was last edited by marcbernard on 10/09/2011.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2011 12:57 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Many thanks for your replies, will persevere and see what I can do.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
10 Sep 2011 1:34 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

Once you are connected to Expatsheild, close the programme but do not dissconnect from it. This way you are still connected to a proxy server and think you will find it works fine, we have no problems.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2011 8:11 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Thanks! So far so good.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
25 Nov 2011 1:55 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Justin, out of interest I just checked out onspeed, with some surprise!  When I checked the speed through their site, it returned a download speed of 1249kb!!  I couldn't believe this, so checked with speedtest.net and got this:

www.speedtest.net/result/1611862047.png

Quite a difference from over 5MB to what their server suggested!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 25/11/2011.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2011 11:54 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hi Pitby

I don't know what you mean!  Is that the speed they were saying with onspeed installed and running on your computer?

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
28 Nov 2011 12:37 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Hi Justin,

No that's the speed that they give after running the speed test on their website - here.  Just did the test again, on their website, and they are telling me that I'm getting a download speed of just over 1MB - which, even when I'm connected to my uk vpn, when I do a test on speedtest.net I'm getting over 4MB!   I haven't installed onspeed (and won't be) but it's basically telling me that I'm only getting 1MB when I'm getting much higher.

Just thought I'd mention it!

Like 0      
28 Nov 2011 12:49 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Ah,  I see what you mean.  Their test is showing I'm getting 2.4 MB but with with speedtest.net it's showing over 8.

I wonder it they are doing that so that you think you are getting less than you are so that you buy their software? 

Surely not!

Justin

Like 0      
28 Nov 2011 12:51 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

They wouldn't do that, would they?? 

Like 0      
28 Nov 2011 3:13 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Justin... Jan....

Quote from the Onspeed FAQ's...

As you cannot physically change the speed of your Internet connection, ONSPEED uses a technology called Content Sensitive Compression ('CSC') to individually compress each element of a web page or email using various compression algorithms based on a patent approved proprietary technology. The end result is that your web pages and emails (PC only) load and download faster using your existing Internet connection.

For the non-techies...That's a bit like loading the same number of passengers normally carried on a four coach train into a two coach train and sending it on its way... but...it takes a lot longer to embark and disembark the passengers at each end of the journey. The speed en-route is the same or slightly slower, but taking into account the loading and unloading times, the overall speed is slower.

I'm pretty sure what they are doing is this; they take a specific picture and text message from their server, compress it using their own software then export it at whatever speed their server happens to be running at. The software you load as an onspeed subscriber then de-compresses the information and displays it at the same time sending back a handshake 'message received' signal to their server. When you run their speedtest, the round trip travel time is measured and divided by the number of bits in the original message. Given that the speed figure obtained from this calculation includes encryption and decryption time it will always be substantially lower than the actual raw speed of the results obtained from Speedtest.

Sorry but introducing a bit of thread drift...

Out here in Telefonica's third world, we are currently engaged in an ongoing battle to get ADSL speeds anything remotely like those that you are receiving...or indeed the speeds we are contracted to receive.

We are contracted to a 3Mbps / 320Kbps service (the fastest we can get here) and at the moment, with most of European business online and the East coast of America just waking up and opening for business, we are seeing download speeds measured on Speedtest and Telefonica's own ADSL speed tester , of just 550Kbps down and 150Kbps up and it will get progressively worse as the day wears on and more  parts of America open for business.

With Onspeed's speed tester we are showing just 400Kbps...

Makes a huge cynical joke of Telefonicas motto 'Compartida la vida es mas'

We are it seems 'compartir con los demás te del mundo'. Our local area is saturated and completely overloaded.

At these low speeds it is virtually impossible to watch youtube videos, gmail takes forever to open (if it opens at all), uploading stuff to photobucket is impossible, and as for updating the many blogs which we run forget it, it isn't going to happen! This has been the case for the last three months and Telefonica's response is always the same... "We are aware of the problem and are working towards a solution..."

We cannot subscribe to Wimax services because we have no line of sight to the nearest mast, cannot use 3G services for the same reason, and Satellite Internet is a non-starter because of the high installation costs and subscription charges which for us and our internet usage would cost well over 100 Euros per month for a service which is capped and subject to a so-called  'Fair Usage Policy! Essentially we are st*ffed until Telefonica get their finger out and do something to double the capacity of the local infrastructure... End of rant, end of thread drift!

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
19 Feb 2012 4:25 PM by jaxx Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

uktvaccess does the job! thanks muddyleopard, at last I can relax and enjoy Corrie

This message was last edited by jaxx on 19/02/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

transport for a ski walker from Cheltenham to Alicante ? - 0 posts
Is this about right - 9 posts
wi fi in hotels and airports - 5 posts
UK or Spanish Driving Licence - 11 posts
Any advice on the Nerja/Almunecar area - 10 posts
obtaining a spanish driving licence - 18 posts
Childrens' Car Seats - 1 posts
Is there an answer - 1 posts
Betamax Video Recorder - 0 posts
Good News —Titleist 712 Series Irons - 0 posts
Help - 1 posts
spanish lessons - 22 posts
TV....... - 11 posts
Polymorphic light eruption - 0 posts
Furniture Pack for sale - 0 posts
P J's rent a car Alicante - 3 posts
Can you recommend a Gestor in Seville ? - 0 posts
empdonamiento - 8 posts
WANTED unfurnished 2/3 bed for long term rent - 4 posts
VOLUNTEERS REQUIRED TO HELP LAY CONCRETE - 0 posts
To Mr or Ms Mod - 0 posts
Forum help...er help! - 6 posts
is there a Spanish 0845 equiv - 3 posts
EXCERCISE BICYCLE - 0 posts
Spanish domain name - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 29

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x