Non-Resident Income Tax - A Guide

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by free_bee Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi Everyone -

I joined EOS hoping that I'd find a simple guide here to paying Non-Resident Income Tax in Spain (and completing/submitting the necessary forms and payments).

I'm sure that there's a lot of useful advice in other threads, but the thought of having to trawl through them all to try to extract what I need to know puts me off.

I own a small apartment on the Costa Tropical. In the past, I've paid an agent to do everything for me. The service hasn't been too expensive, but his fees have been roughly the same as the tax payable. So, if I do things myself this year, I should be able to cut the total cost in half.

I know it's a bit cheeky of me, but I thought it would be a good idea if someone with the necessary expertise and experience could write a simple "How To" guide, and post it somewhere on the site where newbies like myself could find it easily.

Any volunteers?

The kind of things that would be helpful to know are:

1) how to register, or check whether you're already registered, with the Spanish Tax Office;

2) how to work out which income taxes you're liable to pay as a non-resident;

3) when the taxes are due to be paid;

4) how to obtain the necessary tax forms (based on the answer to point 2 above);

5) how to obtain "stickers" for the forms, if required;

6) how to calculate the tax due and complete the forms;

7) where and how to submit the forms and pay the tax (listing all of the different options available, if possible).

Thanks in advance to anyone who feels like tackling this task. I'm sure that you'll earn the gratitude of not just myself but of many others in my position.

Kind regards


Like 0      
05 Sep 2011 1:16 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5240 posts Send private message

The simplest way, as you have so many questions,  go and see a gestor. For usually about 30 euros, they will do the return for you.  Then if you want to do it in subsequent years you will have a copy of the return.. BUT bear in m mind the requirements do change from time to time.

Like 0      
05 Sep 2011 1:47 PM by Jon07 Star rating in Sydney. 84 posts Send private message

A practical/cost effective suggestion John !




Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 12:06 PM by norm de plume Star rating in North Tenerife and L.... 162 posts Send private message

Try for a useful guide.

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 12:36 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

thanks very much .. not sure she would be classed as a migrant worker in UK as she is English, but will check out the site anyway

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 5:39 PM by Flybynight Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

Flybynight´s avatar

@ free_bee

People do this for a living so hardly likely to spend forever writing it all down here for free!

Perhaps you should let this firm tackle it as the form's changing after you've paid this year (for last tax year) anyway.  

it's £24.95 per property (one form per owner)

They can present the forms and pay the tax for you for a charge of £10 per person extra.

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 7:54 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Thanks for that ... but won´t be paying it .. so no worries

Like 0      
08 Sep 2011 9:48 PM by leswill Star rating. 120 posts Send private message

You might be interested to know that the form is changing next year and can only be downloaded online then - no paper versions will be available to buy.


Like 0      
08 Sep 2011 11:47 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Yes, Johnzx,  Sound advice.  See a gestor. Well worth while.


Like 0      
15 Sep 2011 6:29 PM by alysonwenham Star rating in blackpool, england. 83 posts Send private message

I have an apartment on the Costa Blanca, and have jsut started to pay bills, etc.  I am going to pay my IBI to Suma in Alicante tomorrow morning over the telephone.  I have not received a bill for basura, should that be separate from the IBI or is it included?  The word basura not not appear anywhere on the bill.


As for La Renta, how do I register for this, is it done through my NIE number, will they eventually somehow track me down or do I have to go and present myself somewhere? 

Still on builders' supply for water and electricity, that's the next hurdle.

Many thanks



Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 9:03 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

It depends on where you live as to how you pay Basura.

I live in Torrevieja and I pay it on my Water Bill.

The La Renta is paid in arrears so as you've just moved in you will not have to repare the forms until next year.  I use Leswill (about 3 replies below) to prepare my forms.  Click on the icon for further details.

Suma (IBI bill - household rates) is paid by who ever owns the house/land on 1st Jan each year.  So you may not be liable for this years bill but you can make arrangements for next years to be paid via direct debit at the suma office.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2012 9:31 PM by granjero Star rating in lincs. 28 posts Send private message

can anyone explain this non resident tax in english, im thinking about buying a property in murcia area ,only used as a holiday reidence ,so iwill pay council tax yes or no ,then i will pay a non resident tax normally how much would that be about on a 50,000 euro value property ?so it would be be better for us to register the property in one just  name ? do the spanish authorities look at my uk wages as a non resident ,?are there any more taxes that i will be charged for ?its all very confusing and if i rent the property out can i pay the tax in the uk or do i have to pay in esp?


Like 0      
26 Feb 2012 10:46 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

1) You will have to  pay IBI (council tax)

2) Non resident tax will depend on the rateable value which is shown on your IBI bill

3) It doesn't matter how many names the property is registered in the non resident tax is the same but if multiple owners it will be divided between them

4) If you are non resident then there is no reason for the Spanish authorities to check your earnings

5) If you rent the property and are non resident in Spain tax on the rent will be payable in Spain




Like 0      
27 Feb 2012 10:57 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5240 posts Send private message

Just to clarify it, when Poppy (item 5) said if you rent the property she clearly meant if you let the property


To qualify that:  You have to pay income tax on all the gross income, without any allowances for wear and tear, community fees, electricity etc,  No allowances on anything. The rate was 24% as a non resident but I believe that is now 25% (but I stand to be corrected on the rate)

Some seem to think that the Non Resdents Property Tax covers letting the propery it does not.  The tax on the income is in addition.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2012 11:38 AM by granjero Star rating in lincs. 28 posts Send private message

I get ur drift wink wink say no more

Like 0      
27 Feb 2012 12:47 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Allowances against rental income are now allowed for EU residents see link below.


Ongoing property taxes payable in Spain are as follows:

Spanish Rental Income Tax rules changed with effect on January 1st 2010. Prior to 2010 income tax was payable at 24% of gross income with no deductions permitted for expenses.

The new tax changes make it possible for EU residents to deduct expenses against rental income provided such expenses are directly related to the rental income generated form the Spanish property. Spanish rental income must be declared and paid one month after the rent is received.
There is also an option for Quarter returns to be submitted. There is no annual balancing tax return to be filed.




This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 27/02/2012.



Like 0      
05 Apr 2012 6:37 PM by sandiemac Star rating in Ireland/El Barranco .... 22 posts Send private message


Does anyone know where the revenue hacienda for playa flamenca/ Villa Martin area is.

Is this where i go to get my stickers or can i just fill in the form 210  the same way our solicitors did them for the last few years,

Also is the amount  payable on the determinacion de la base imponible always the same.

Thanks for any help



Like 0      
05 Apr 2012 7:02 PM by leswill Star rating. 120 posts Send private message

Sandiemac you will come under the Orihuela tax office.  The modelo 210 can only be completed online now, the form has changed and stickers are no longer needed.  The amount payable depends on whether your Valor Catastral has increased from the previous year.  I believe your area has the standard 1.020% increase rate.


Like 0      
29 May 2012 5:36 PM by sandiemac Star rating in Ireland/El Barranco .... 22 posts Send private message

Thanks leswill

I have the forms that my solicitor paid last year and he said it was the same amount this year so can i just take them to the bankia and ask them to pay it for me and set up a direct debit for the future or do i have to fill out a new 210 form ?

Like 0      
29 May 2012 8:12 PM by leswill Star rating. 120 posts Send private message

Hello Sandiemac you need to complete a new form each year - this tax cannot be paid by direct debit


Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

BBC iplayer - 28 posts
transport for a ski walker from Cheltenham to Alicante ? - 0 posts
Is this about right - 9 posts
wi fi in hotels and airports - 5 posts
UK or Spanish Driving Licence - 11 posts
Any advice on the Nerja/Almunecar area - 10 posts
obtaining a spanish driving licence - 18 posts
Childrens' Car Seats - 1 posts
Is there an answer - 1 posts
Betamax Video Recorder - 0 posts
Good News —Titleist 712 Series Irons - 0 posts
Help - 1 posts
spanish lessons - 22 posts
TV....... - 11 posts
Polymorphic light eruption - 0 posts
Furniture Pack for sale - 0 posts
P J's rent a car Alicante - 3 posts
Can you recommend a Gestor in Seville ? - 0 posts
empdonamiento - 8 posts
WANTED unfurnished 2/3 bed for long term rent - 4 posts
To Mr or Ms Mod - 0 posts
Forum help! - 6 posts
is there a Spanish 0845 equiv - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x