obtaining a spanish driving licence

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

My photo id card has expired, whilst I have been living in Spain.I cant renew it because Im living in Spain and dont have a UK address. I was wondering if I can still drive on my uk licence,my actual licence expires in 2010 but my photo ID card has expired this year.

Does anyone know of any company in Spain that can help me in obtaining a Spanish Driving Licence.

I living in playa flamenca torreviea area of costa blanca

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 6:52 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

You should not be driving!

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 6:58 PM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

thanks for your help

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 7:11 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Suggestion.

Go to UK 'with the intention of staying'.  Stay with a brother,  friend or whatever.  

Apply for a renewal of your D/L. 

When it arrives 'decide' that you made an error returning to UK and 'decide' to come back to Spain.

But as said, do not drive without a licence.  In Spain no licence means no insurance (unlike UK)

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 7:42 PM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

Thanks

Its only my photo id that has expired my licence does not expire until 2000.

I could not renew it as I have been living here for three years.I dont really want to have the expense of going to uk just for the sake of getting a driving licence.Surely I can obtain a spanish one

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 7:56 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

02 Sep 2011 8:18 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

If you do not have a uk address your licence is not valid anyway. You have to notify the DVLA if you change address and if your photocard is out of date you are not licenced!

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 8:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Take the Spanish driving test

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 8:27 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

can you not renew using some family member's address?

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 8:31 PM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

Thank you all for your suggestions which is greatly appreciated

No more informaton is required thanks I will take on board your suggestions thanks

Like 0      
03 Sep 2011 3:05 PM by eljefe Star rating in Torrevieja. 15 posts Send private message

eljefe´s avatar

In Torrevieja Center Calle caballero de Rodas in front of Bar Monroes, there is a Medical test place. You can get a spanish driving licence there. They do everything for you. 

Like 0      
03 Sep 2011 4:05 PM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

thanks do you know how much they charge,do they actually get the licence for you as well as doing the medical test

Like 0      
03 Sep 2011 4:08 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I am doubtful that the medical test centres can to the process of exchanging a DL.

They can make the application for the renewal of a Spanish DL after they have done the medical.

Like 0      
03 Sep 2011 10:18 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

"I was wondering if I can still drive on my uk licence,my actual licence expires in 2010 "

"my licence does not expire until 2000."

I would try and find a friendly vet who will put you to sleep. 

Like 0      
04 Sep 2011 11:16 AM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

There are more pricks on here than there are on a hedgehog

Like 0      
04 Sep 2011 11:18 AM by eljefe Star rating in Torrevieja. 15 posts Send private message

eljefe´s avatar

I agree with you smiffy. Horrible people on here.

Look go to the medical center in torrevieja, have your medical exam, they will put you in touch with a gestor who will get you a spanish licence. 

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 10:05 AM by solwayiceman Star rating in Scotland. 50 posts Send private message

sorry about this but if your licence has expired you will have to sit the test again as Trafico send your licence off to the DVLA for checking its going to come back no good. Hope you understand Spanish as thats the only way to get round this. Should have done this sooner remember the 183 day rule also aplies to UK driving licences if you are resident here. Good luck

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 10:16 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Solwayiceman

QUOTE.  Should have done this sooner remember the 183 day rule also applies to UK driving licences if you are resident here

Not sure what you mean by this as an EU licence, providing it is valid, can be legally used, no time limit.

After 90 days permanently in Spain one must register on the EU foreigners register (it replaced Residencia).

If physically present in Spain for 183 day in any year one becomes tax resident and therefore, MUST make a Spanish Tax Return (not just for property which applies to Non-residents).

Like 0      
07 Sep 2011 5:45 PM by solwayiceman Star rating in Scotland. 50 posts Send private message

Hi yes you are right but then you have to comply with spainsh law which means you nead a medical cert as all spanish drivers have to have one. Thorny piont I know.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Childrens' Car Seats - 1 posts
Is there an answer - 1 posts
Betamax Video Recorder - 0 posts
Good News —Titleist 712 Series Irons - 0 posts
Help - 1 posts
spanish lessons - 22 posts
TV....... - 11 posts
Polymorphic light eruption - 0 posts
Furniture Pack for sale - 0 posts
P J's rent a car Alicante - 3 posts
Can you recommend a Gestor in Seville ? - 0 posts
empdonamiento - 8 posts
WANTED unfurnished 2/3 bed for long term rent - 4 posts
VOLUNTEERS REQUIRED TO HELP LAY CONCRETE - 0 posts
To Mr or Ms Mod - 0 posts
Forum help...er help! - 6 posts
is there a Spanish 0845 equiv - 3 posts
EXCERCISE BICYCLE - 0 posts
Spanish domain name - 2 posts
Eye on my villa! - 8 posts
No furniture and no refund - 7 posts
Sales Consultants required for immediate start - 0 posts
Child friendly - 1 posts
aledo murcia - 1 posts
Phone Cards - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x