Any advice on the Nerja/Almunecar area

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by paul1981 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi,

My fiancee and I are planning to move to Spain around October/November, and wonder if anyone could give us some advice on the Nerja area? We are drawn to this area due to the year round climate, and also the fact we are skiers, and Nerja is in close proximity to Sierra Nevada, giving us winter activities.

I work away from home fairly often, so I would be grateful if anyone has any advice on the safest areas to live in, and also if there is a good community feel. Also is there much crime?

We are coming over at the start of October for a look around, so if anyone has tips on places to see, that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Like 0      
03 Sep 2011 11:35 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

lots of illegal builds in that area.

If buying do not use any lawyer recommended by the estate agent

Like 0      
03 Sep 2011 2:45 PM by DoubleJ Star rating in Las Alpujarras and L.... 143 posts Send private message

DoubleJ´s avatar

Hi Paul,

If you are happy to consider inland as well as the coast, the Lecrin Vally or the western end of the Alpujarras (Orgiva, Lanjaron etc) may suit you.

The climate is great (more altitude so "slightly" reduced summer temperatures) and even closer to Granada and the skiing at Sierra Nevada.

Obviously a lot more rural, but lots of fully legal properties and significantly reduced prices at the moment.

Regards

John

Like 0      
04 Sep 2011 3:17 AM by paul1981 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Thanks for the advice.

I am not looking to buy, so not too worried about the illegal builds.

Also I think we would prefer to stay by the coast, but thanks for the tip anyway.

Like 0      
04 Sep 2011 10:30 AM by Jon07 Star rating in Sydney. 84 posts Send private message

Hi Paul,

I suggest you might consider a trip to Lanjaron some time. A very charming place with lovely architecture..

Well worth a visit or stop over.

Cheers,

Jon

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 10:14 AM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Nerja is stunning and calm! It is a lovely place to live all year round, not like other areas of the coast which become ghost towns, cost of living is cheaper than other areas of the coast.

People are very nice and welcoming.

I would highly recomend Nerja as a place to live.

Joan

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 10:37 AM by meggie Star rating in England. 114 posts Send private message

Re Nerja and nearby coastal areas...what are the winter temperatures like?  I am liking the look of Figiliana as a winter retreat. Although it is only a few kilometers inland from the coast, it is situated at a higher altitude.  Is it colder in the winter here than on the coast itself?

Mag

Like 0      
06 Sep 2011 11:58 AM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

If you ask me i will see everywhere is cold once you have been here long enough! If you are only going to be over in winter you will find the temperature in those areas more than satisfying.

Joan

Like 0      
12 Sep 2011 7:03 PM by juliew Star rating in La Herradura, Costa .... 68 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi there

I trust you have chosen where you are going to live by now, hopefully around the Nerja area. My house is in LaHeradura which is just east of Nerja. I love the area, my son and his family live in Almunecar which is a little further on. Wonderful places to eat in the area and I find there is a lot to do. If you look at our website you will find some very useful information about the surrounding areas.

Good luck.

Julie

Julie

www.wisemovetospain.com

Like 0      
09 Oct 2011 5:31 PM by anthonyo Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

anthonyo´s avatar

Nerja is very well comunicated with Malaga, maybe 40 minutes to the airport, it is an area very visited by foreing people, many germans and english there, that is good because the local population its used to see people from other countries and you will not feel strange there, its not a dangerous area, but if you go to an isolated area on the mountain you will have to take special care protecting your house while you are away, but if you plan to look for an apartment in a populated area you will be safe

General recomendations: Don´t leave valuable things in your car, lock the door of the house, close the windows while away, avoid lonely streets and poor areas, mistrust anyone trying to help you if you didn´t ask for help, don´t be shouting i am a rich english tourist with a lot of money in my pocket, just be discreet, common sense.

This part of the coast its less crowded than Marbella, less rich people than in Marbella means also cheaper prices, but it´s a very well developed area, many new buidings where will be easy to find new cheap apartments to rent.

If you plan to go to Sierra nevada and return in the same day you will feel very tired, because you would have 1:40 hours to arrive there and also the heigh diference could give you a headache 0 metres to 3000 metres and 3000 to 0 metres in the same day makes a lot of different pressure the same day. Avoid Sierra nevada on saturday or sunday it is crowded, watch the snow report in Sierra nevada web before going.

Have fun

Like 0      
09 Oct 2011 8:17 PM by meggie Star rating in England. 114 posts Send private message

A brilliant reply, Anthonyo. We, too, are interested in checking out the Nerja region and your post is very informative and full of good advice..particularly the bit about going to the Sierra Nevada region.  I hadn't even thought about the effects of travelling from the coast to the Sierra and back again in a day. This is probably just what we would have done! By the way, I wish my Spanish was as good as your English.

Mag

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

obtaining a spanish driving licence - 18 posts
Childrens' Car Seats - 1 posts
Is there an answer - 1 posts
Betamax Video Recorder - 0 posts
Good News —Titleist 712 Series Irons - 0 posts
Help - 1 posts
spanish lessons - 22 posts
TV....... - 11 posts
Polymorphic light eruption - 0 posts
Furniture Pack for sale - 0 posts
P J's rent a car Alicante - 3 posts
Can you recommend a Gestor in Seville ? - 0 posts
empdonamiento - 8 posts
WANTED unfurnished 2/3 bed for long term rent - 4 posts
VOLUNTEERS REQUIRED TO HELP LAY CONCRETE - 0 posts
To Mr or Ms Mod - 0 posts
Forum help...er help! - 6 posts
is there a Spanish 0845 equiv - 3 posts
EXCERCISE BICYCLE - 0 posts
Spanish domain name - 2 posts
Eye on my villa! - 8 posts
No furniture and no refund - 7 posts
Sales Consultants required for immediate start - 0 posts
Child friendly - 1 posts
aledo murcia - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x