Iberdrola / New power limiters / law

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Dec 2009 5:22 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Does anyone know when this has to be done by? Anyone able to give me a quote to fit one in Playa Flemenca and tie up with iberdrola? Thanks Kevin

Like 0      
09 Dec 2009 5:34 PM by routledge Star rating in Gt. Yarmouth, UK./Mi.... 9 posts Send private message

Our friends have a property that they had built in 1982 and have recently picked up recorded delivery letter from Endesa informing them of the need to have an ICP installed. We have a property nearby which was built in 2007. We have not received a letter and our contract is for 9.2 kw. Is it likely that our system complies so does not need any further protection? We are in England now until our next visit in late February so cannot inspect the consumer unit in ours until then. It does seem that the Electricity companies can do very well out of this Royal Decree!

Like 0      
09 Dec 2009 6:02 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

This picture was taken by a resident on our urb and placed on our forum to put our minds at rest. If you have one of these in your breaker box, you should be okay.

Like 0      
09 Dec 2009 6:40 PM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi Routledge,  our property is 9 years old, as are some of our neighbours but as yet no one seems to have got one of these letters! (well, that I have found so far) plus our potencia is as low as 4,6kW.

I am going to an Endesa office Friday morning to see what light can be shed on the matter (sorry, pun not intended!)

Hi Marksfish, the picture was very helpful; we certainly have the box but not the 2 switches in it!

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
09 Dec 2009 8:14 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Is it the two black switches? Sorry if that is a really stupid question..........!

Thanks, Poppyseed

Poppyseed

Like 0      
09 Dec 2009 8:21 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Yes, it is the two switches on the left of the picyure, although they work as one.

Mark

Like 0      
13 Feb 2010 5:40 PM by chrisb1972 Star rating in West Yorkshire and L.... 12 posts Send private message

Regarding the previously posted picture of the consumer unit box. Mine is above and the following text relates to it - bit of a newby (1st post - cant you tell !)  so still trying get to grips with this posting lark.

Our consumer box was upgraded last week by a qualified electrician and we were pleased to see that the 'ICP' we had installed looked like the one in the previously posted picture.

I had prearranged for Iberdrola to come in and  'seal' the ICP after the upgrade. Iberdrola duly arrived (on time and yes on the correct day !), said our 'ICP' wasn't an ICP, took it out and put in their own unit that had ICP actually printed on it, sealed it and left ! We await their bill ! From the picture above you can see that the ICP they put in is half the size of our original (its the item far left) - there is a new blanking bit to cover the hole that was left.

Friends on mine who know a bit about electrics can't understand why they did what they did. They also did exactly the same to our neighbour.

On a related subject : Has anyone upgraded their power supply either from 2.2 or 3.3 to 5.75 Kw. Im trying to find out exactly what Iberdrola do, apart from charging you more for the power you use and a fair amount to do the increase ! 

Does anyone know what they physically upgrade / change. I have a 25A RCD and 25A ICP which allows for 5.75 (I'm currently only paying for 2.2Kw) but I'm at a loss to know what else they need to do.

Thanks, Chris

This message was last edited by chrisb1972 on 13/02/2010.

Like 0      
16 Dec 2010 3:48 PM by eltelbenidorm Star rating in Mostly in Benidorm b.... 1 posts Send private message

December 15th 2010

We live most of the year in our Benidorm park home within the grounds of a villa owned by Spanish friends,  our electricity being supplied from the villa.  In anticipation of possible power trip problems,  all our lighting is low energy,  we cook,  heat and wash by gas,  and up until the middle of October 2009 we had not experienced any problems even with our aircon on.  Then,  just as we were leaving to return to the UK for Christmas,  our friends were hurriedly getting into their car to buy just such a device for their electrician to insatall.  They said that every property in Benidorm had received a letter (mentioned by another member here) and that they would indeed be fined if the installation was not completed by a certain date!  (I think Iberdrola had just got round to enforcing the legislation!)

We left Spain not knowing whether we would have an electricity supply to come back to but also feeling for our friends who also did not know what would happen either!  They had been used to having anything from 1 to 4 aircons running at once (for cooling or heating in the winter) and anything else they wanted to use,  although washing was on a timer to be done at night for the cheaper rate.

Supposedly,  in the past,  the villa had a contracted rate of 8.5Kw,  5Kw in the daytime and 3.5Kw cheaper night time,  although our friends did say that they had received a somewhat confusing letter (during 2009) quoting a different 5Kw total contracted rate for their villa.  I think this may have been the letter giving them the option to change supplier under de-regulation and a time limit in which to respond,  which of course they didn't.

Anyway,  as we are returning to Spain at the end of this month (December),  I took the time to speak to our friends by telephone,  partly as a normal curtesy and partly to find out  what had transpired with the electricity.  They told me that  they had just that very day had the device connected and sealed and would see how it went.  With that, the phone went dead!  It didn't take much guessing to know what had happened.  After ringing them back and waiting for the panic to die  from their voices,  they said they only had on one heater and a few lights but then had the timerity to switch on another heater in the bathroom.  'CLICK'  everything went off ! We are now hoping that they can or have already sorted something out or we may have to rethink our accomodation!

I think it is possible to apply for a new contract at a higher rate with Iberdrola or indeed another suppler but think the cost of doing this may have detered our friends from doing so in case we did not want to contribute towards the cost.  We would of course do this anyway as it is in our interests to protect our future power supply as well as theirs even if it costs a bit extra.

Does anyone know whether a new contract can be arranged and if so what maximum potencia for the villa might be able to be supplied???

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Monarch flights to Murcia from Manchester - 10 posts
brown v cameron - 3 posts
Local Photographer Benalmadena - 0 posts
christmas ,spain or uk - 6 posts
Sofa Bed - 0 posts
Christmas Day Lunch Recommendations please! - 4 posts
is my polaris world contract legal - 1 posts
Puente de la Inmaculada - 3 posts
removals to and from spain in a transit van - 0 posts
transit van going to england early january - 0 posts
Queen Mary - 0 posts
Debtors without a Budget - 20 posts
Lookout! Lookout! I'm back from the UK - 14 posts
European Property Owners Day - 0 posts
Student's budget airline survey - 0 posts
Let's See If We Can Make a Connection? - 4 posts
registering for health care - 1 posts
signature color - 3 posts
One For Our Legal Expert? (Copyright) - 0 posts
Canarys tax laws - 0 posts
wanted single seater arm chair - 1 posts
1000 piece jigsaw puzzles - 0 posts
Looking for Winter Let - Feb to April - 5 posts
New to Eye on Spain - 7 posts
Gas cylinder Orange or Silver - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x