Puente de la Inmaculada

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Dec 2009 12:00 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

For those of you who still do not know, we, spaniards are celebrating these week two important feast days: one political and one religious.

Today is our Constitution day, as it was the referendum day, 6th of December 1978,  with a positive result of 88% of voters after which Constitution was approved.

On Tuesday the Catholic Church celebrates the Inmaculate Conception of Mary.

So these pre-Christmas feast puente ( bridge) is always expected by spaniards to travel as Christmas feast are more kept to be with the family.

No schooling, no officing,  no banking... tomorrow. Just some supermarkets and meybe big commercial surfaces open.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
06 Dec 2009 7:43 PM by coolrunner Star rating in la marina. 91 posts Send private message

coolrunner´s avatar

bit confused,..are you saying nothing open monday and tuesday ?

Like 0      
06 Dec 2009 10:11 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Yes, at least schools, banks, offices... I guess some shope will do.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
06 Dec 2009 10:37 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

You're lucky.  I came over once when Constitution Day was Tuesday and Conception Day on Thursday.  Nothing open all week!  Tried to get something done about my electricity supply on the Wednesday and Iberdrola had gone on strike for the day.  Luckily, the supermarkets opened.

Learned my lesson then and never booked for the first week in December again.  

Mind you, other countries also have their little foibles.  Remember, it's not that long ago since all shops in UK closed on Sundays except for the little corner shop.

In Germany, the rules were a minefield.  Shops closed lunchtime Saturdays and didn't open until 0900 on Monday.  If you wanted bread, milk, beer or anything else you had to go to a garage which over-inflated the prices.  We used to pop over the border to Holland on a Saturday as they only closed on Sundays.  Also, in Germany, you weren't allowed to mow your lawn on a Sunday (or use a drill or anything noisy) nor were you allowed to hang your washing on the line on a Sunday.  (Haven't been there since 1991 so I assume things have changed). 

In Cyprus, public offices and banks open in the morning and late afternoon during the winter and don't bother with the late afternoon openings in the summer. Apart from the normal religious holidays (of course) they also had Green Day (not a spelling error, Green), Greek Independence Day fairly closely followed by Greek Cypriot National Day,   As if this wasn't enough, later on in the year they had Cyprus Independence Day closely followed by Ochi Day (A Greek holiday celebrating the time when the Greeks said no (ochi) to German occupation).  And, of course, like Spain they had two Christmases. 

In UK, nowadays, Good Friday seems to be a time for sticking more sales on.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

removals to and from spain in a transit van - 0 posts
transit van going to england early january - 0 posts
Queen Mary - 0 posts
Debtors without a Budget - 20 posts
Lookout! Lookout! I'm back from the UK - 14 posts
European Property Owners Day - 0 posts
Student's budget airline survey - 0 posts
Let's See If We Can Make a Connection? - 4 posts
registering for health care - 1 posts
signature color - 3 posts
One For Our Legal Expert? (Copyright) - 0 posts
Canarys tax laws - 0 posts
wanted single seater arm chair - 1 posts
1000 piece jigsaw puzzles - 0 posts
Looking for Winter Let - Feb to April - 5 posts
New to Eye on Spain - 7 posts
Gas cylinder Orange or Silver - 5 posts
editing a post - 2 posts
What channels can I get with a 1.4m dish - 4 posts
Coeliac Girl from Germany looking for spanish coeliac guest family!! - 0 posts
Poor Business Approach - 1 posts
Walking group Southern Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Spanish translation question - 2 posts
online doctors appointment - 8 posts
costs england ,spain - 18 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x