Deadline to register your PAYG phone

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already but if you have a pay-as-you-go phone in Spain you have until the 9th of November to register it.

Unregistered phones will become inactive as of the 10th and you will lose any credit that you have on your phone.

To register your PAYG phone just go along to any mobile phone shop with your passport and that's it.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
03 Nov 2009 7:33 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

As my Spanish pen-friend has just had to register hers, I take it that it applies only to PAYG phones with Spanish sim cards, and not to English PAYG phones which switch to Movistar etc when bought to Spain?

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
03 Nov 2009 9:55 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Yes, it only applies to Spanish SIM cards.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
03 Nov 2009 10:49 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

how do you do this if your not in Spain?????

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
03 Nov 2009 10:50 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

When registering my Vodafone sim (which took forever. Computer says no!!), as a non resident I also had to provide proof of address. Luckily I had my IBI bill with me.

Mark

Like 0      
03 Nov 2009 11:14 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Yes

This topic has been around for some time, I registered mine when at the store, but thinking on I can't remember if my dongle is loged, just bought the box I think. This could be worse than the phone being disconected for many. The PAYG dongle sim must be the same as the phone so these need to be registered to !

S

Like 0      
04 Nov 2009 9:23 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Cheers mate, I had forgotten about my PAYG dongle!!  Doh.

Justin

Like 0      
04 Nov 2009 3:54 PM by cooberpedy Star rating. 91 posts Send private message

cooberpedy´s avatar

sorry all, but I am bit of a technophobe with mobile phones,  I have a PAYG spanish mobile (presently languishing in my apartment in spain)  I am in the UK and will be for at least another 4 months.  Is there anything I can do to register my phone from the UK?  I have a feeling that putting hot coals on my eyelids would be easier but here's hoping!!

Like 0      
04 Nov 2009 4:17 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

All I can suggest is that you try and do it on line, search for your provider .es, you will have to understand basic spanish though.

S

Like 0      
05 Nov 2009 12:10 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Does anyone know if you can register online with Vodafone?  It doesn't look like you can but I just thought I would check..

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
05 Nov 2009 11:36 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I've had a good long look at Vodaphone.es and I can't see a way to do it....

Wait a mo!!!!

Maybe!!!

Yes!!!

Looks like I have done it!!!

Go to Vodaphone.es and for the box on the lower top right hand side, which says Mi Vodaphone.

In that box it says Registrate GRATIS! ... click on it! Then under Particulares, click on Solicitar clave... in fact just click here!

Then type in your Vodaphone number and the anti-spam code that is underneath, then give them your details. You will then receive a 4 digit pin number on your phone, which you enter on internet registration screen, and at the same time you create a new 4 digit pin and security question.

That's it!!!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
06 Nov 2009 11:11 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi Colin,

I think this is just to register for Vodafone live so you can check your bills, special offers etc.

The vodafone website says that you need to go to one of their stores with some ID (DNI, Passport, ID Card)...

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
06 Nov 2009 12:10 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Yeah, that's just for the Vodafone channel thing.  You actually need to go into a shop and physically identify yourself to register yourself as the owner of the phone.

Justin

Like 0      
06 Nov 2009 4:19 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Well...

I tried the same thing for the Mrs after I did mine.

And when I tried to do it, it said that the information entered was different from the information that they hold.

Now the Mrs has never received any text messages saying that she needs to register her phone... and thus far I have not received any further text messages... and I had been getting one a day for the last week!!!

When we purchased the phones, we had to supply proof of Identity... but they did NOT take a copy of our Passports/NIE !?!?!?

And it is interesting that when you try and locate a store, it also mentions about the on-line store!

Oh well! Time will tell.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 06/11/2009.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
06 Nov 2009 4:28 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I have an Orange payg sim (was Amena when I bought it a few years ago).  I just went to the telephone/mobile section in Carrefour in Estepona and produced my passport and they input the details onto the computer (obviously, they have access to the relevant system).  They did not have to take a photocopy of the passport.

I believe if you have bought one in recent times (maybe the past year?) that your details may well have been entered at the time of purchase.

I suppose it makes sense that you have physically be there in person to produce ID - as you could give anybody's passport/DNI/NIE etc. otherwise.

Like 0      
06 Nov 2009 4:47 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

We went into the shop we purchased two phones from in Sabinillas and they sent us to Carrefour in Estepona... who then said we had to go to the Vodaphone shop in Estepona... which we couldn't find and was probably shut had we found it!!!!

Then I tried 123... which just gave me a pre-recorded message saying that I needed to register my phone.

I then went on-line and did as I stated below... and now I have stopped receiving text messages saying that I need to register and when I dial 123 it is normal!?!?!?

Mind you, as I previously stated, when we purchased our phones, we had to show proof of ID so maybe mine was half-registered!?!?!?

I don't know... and right now I don't care... I have very little credit and if I lose this PAYG SIM I'll just get a new one and have done with it!!!!!

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 06/11/2009.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
07 Nov 2009 3:18 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar

You cannot register your Spanish sim on the net, you have to go to the phone operators store (not a franchise) with your passport or ID and they will take a copy ot this and your address and thats it.

Muy facil.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2009 12:11 PM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

I've copied /pasted this from another website.  Whilst the date has not altered, it would appear that there is still a period of grace, and that not all is lost if one hasn't registered by monday.

"PAY-AS-YOU-GO mobile phone users who still have not registered with their network providers will lose their number on Monday.

But they will be able to reactivate these numbers and recover their lines if they provide their network operators with their personal details within six months.

This was announced today by minister for the interior, Alfredo Pérez Rubalcaba.

Pay-as-you-go mobile owners were given two years to register with shops selling phones on their network.

The move was aimed at preventing terrorists and organised criminal gangs from being untraceable by using pay-as-you-go mobiles.

Now, anyone who buys a new phone of this type will automatically be registered, and anyone who has not registered their previous number will lose it today.

But Rubalcaba says they have given another six months for owners to get their numbers and their phones back by calling their network provider in order to give the ‘least-informed members of society, such as the young and the elderly’ the chance to resolve their problem of being excommunicated by failing to register."

Like 0      
09 Nov 2009 4:28 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

I previously registered my phone with Lebara (really cheap to call the UK) so didn't bother doing anything about today's deadline.  However, surprise, surprise, today I can only receive incoming calls and Lebara tell me that my phone has been cut off as it is not registered or the government is not happy with my details.  The also tell me that I cannot talk to anyone about it until Thursday!!

I use my phone for business and have no way of returning clients' calls for three days and I am so frustrated!!  I wouldn't mind if I had never registered the phone but I did!!

If they say I need to physcally go to a phone shop, how do you do that when they sell the SIM cards through newsagents and not through mobile phone shops??

Think I need to go and buy a contract phone urgently! 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Michael Harris - 0 posts
SAUNA Wanted - 0 posts
Our Tyler is now in Heaven - 17 posts
L.P.G filling stations - 2 posts
Early Retirement- E106/Insurance/Pay into System/Pay as You Go - 2 posts
Documents Needed - 1 posts
Big Problem with HITs mobile (phone provider) - 23 posts
Buyer pulled out of sale only getting half the deposit back? - 4 posts
Who is........... - 0 posts
altering property ownership - 6 posts
Payment of la renta tax - 11 posts
Vodafone Mobile Internet Dongle - 9 posts
Learn to paint at your leisure... - 0 posts
Eye on Spain logo - 2 posts
ELEGANT HOMES WORLDWIDE - 0 posts
Hello - 4 posts
Happy Halloween - 3 posts
Washing Machines etc - 7 posts
Glitches with New broadband connection... - 4 posts
comments welcome.................................. - 8 posts
I RECOMMEND - Shave Saves - 0 posts
Moving to Andalucia - 0 posts
FOR SALE : VW TOUAREG 4X4 - 0 posts
How to transfer small sums of money to spanish bank account - 23 posts
Quality Spanish Builders in Olvera - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x