Skype Pro Promotion

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by KP Star rating. 229 posts Send private message

For anybody interested in the deal advertised by Skype, check the details first.

Skype Pro is offering a free calls to national landlines for a small fee. In theory once the small fee of 10 euros plus iva has been paid, you get free calls to NATIONAL LAND LINES ONLY.

I was under the impression that, being here in Spain but having an English account and english account address for my skype then any calls I make from Spain to the UK on Skype would be free.

That is not the case, it is only free in the country you are calling from to other landline numbers in that country, so buyer beware, there are lots of people who have fallen foul of this advert by not reading between the lines!

Like 0      
01 Apr 2007 7:35 PM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

Skype also runs in the background, unless you switch it off, It will cause your computer to run more slowly

John

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2007 10:48 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Hey John - you seem to know about this so I'm flying a kite and wonder if you can help.  A friend sent me the skype connections when they had it for use from Spain.  I down loaded it, but it caused mayhem on my pc, with skype messages everytime i surfed the net - nightmare!  I tried to uninstall it, but it didn't show up as being installed!  I now have to 'quit' skype everytime i log on - even so - it keeps popping up on every flippn' site 'this site wants to run skype'........aaaarrrgh !!  -  any ideas how to get rid of it?  never used it and now never will after all the unwanted hassle!  All suggestions gratefully received !

Jane

Like 0      
01 Apr 2007 11:34 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2007 8:56 AM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

Hi Jane

I don't know how much your computing skills are, so here goes:

Click start at the bottom left, then control panel, whn it opens select the 2Add or remove programs" icon

this will give you a list of all programs installed on your pc. You shoul be able to find Skype,  and be able to remove it. Skype is one ogf the many programs that run on startup, there are lots of others, They all serve to slow things down and cause problems. If I can be of furthet help let me know.

John

Like 0      
03 Apr 2007 10:40 AM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Hi John

Many thanks for your help.  You've probably guessed my pc skills aren't great !  I do know how to do that bit 'tho and have tried several times with no success.  Skype is in the list, but when I click to remove it the message tells me that it doesn't exist on the c drive?? o can't be uninstalled.  Beyond me totally!!

Thanks again

Jane

Jane

Like 0      
03 Apr 2007 11:43 AM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

Hi Jane

Try opening ms explorer or my computer, and search for "skype" then manually delete everything it brings up.

Make sure Skype is not running or it wont allow it.

john

Like 0      
03 Apr 2007 4:56 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
******** skype is normally an excellent bit of software which runs in the background and doesn't really cause any problems.  I am surprised you are having problems with it.  Maybe contact their support department to help you.  I think Skype is great!

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
03 Apr 2007 5:08 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi **********

I too use Skype, with no problems at all and think it's brilliant.

I suggest you go to the Skype website and download it again.

It will "overwrite" anything to do with Skype on your somputer and should run smoothly.

If you are not an expert at "computer" stuff, I strongly advise you NOT to go indeleting things, you may delete something important!

Try the download again, that should do it.

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
03 Apr 2007 5:43 PM by KC60 Star rating in Sunderland / Balsic.... 139 posts Send private message

KC60´s avatar

Hello there

Have alook at this link, its for a phone provider called Vonage.  It uses your broadband connection, its better than skype.  You want the world plan option, have a look it might be worth it...

http://www.vonage.co.uk/specialoffers/index_uk.php

This message was last edited by KC60 on 4/3/2007.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2007 6:57 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

KC60 - best Avatar so far!

I'm another Skype fan - no problems here. Fibby's suggestion to "re-download" sounds sensible to me. I was not aware that it runs in the background - it's not in the start up list, anyway. (Windows XP- click on "run" in start menu, type MSCONFIG and click OK, then click start up tab.)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 Apr 2007 11:11 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Thanks folks - you're all so good to help me.  I'll try again tomorrow when I'm more awake - been a long day and i'm sick of seeing the computer and writing reports.  Happy dreams !

Jane

Like 0      
04 Apr 2007 1:20 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

John you're a star! It's gone at last.  Thank you so much.

Jane

Like 0      
04 Apr 2007 2:01 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2007 2:38 PM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

No Probs

Johnone

Like 0      
08 Apr 2007 8:43 PM by plexx Star rating in Hertfordshire & Elvi.... 131 posts Send private message

plexx´s avatar
I know I'm late on this, but if you go to advanced options within Skype, you can 'untick' the box 'start Skype when I start Windows'. That means it will not start automatically.

Like 0      
08 Apr 2007 8:49 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Plexx

It's never too late to post on EOS!

I have been "away" for over a week and am just catching up on things!!

I love Skype, great isn't it!

I put credit on, then when in Spain, can ring my family for 1p per minute!

I am extremelt lucky to have a neighbout in Spain who has ADSL and allows me to share the signal whilst I am there.

I would be LOST without her and Skype............................

kind regards,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
08 Apr 2007 8:52 PM by plexx Star rating in Hertfordshire & Elvi.... 131 posts Send private message

plexx´s avatar

I love Skype too, Fibby. But it used to really pee me off when it slowed down the startup of Windows so much. That's when I started looking for the option to switch off the auto start. I know the problem is really that I need more memory.

And so does my PC.

Like 0      
08 Apr 2007 8:54 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

LOL!

I think I lost a few brain cells when I had my hip replacement on 27th March!!!

Can I sue the surgeon?

Maybe I could Skype him to ask for them back!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
08 Apr 2007 9:08 PM by plexx Star rating in Hertfordshire & Elvi.... 131 posts Send private message

plexx´s avatar

Losing brain cells when the surgeon is digging 'down there'?
There's a joke there somewhere.
Something about where you keep your brain.
Anyway, I truly  wish you a full and speedy recovery to full health and mobility.

Don't sue the surgeon 'til then

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ribera Golf & La Union - 4 posts
Community pool safety issues - 6 posts
RENTING BEWARE - 2 posts
Development Discussions - 6 posts
Mortgage advice for a ( mortgage virgin) 36yr old,... >) - 1 posts
Mortgage advice for a 36yr old, never had one before man,,,and a bit of other ..... - 9 posts
Casablanca Beach - 2 posts
change of ownership - 5 posts
help on sending first payment. - 3 posts
News of friends - 19 posts
Moving a part load of furniture to Spain from the UK - 11 posts
Any other Irish out there? - 11 posts
NIE APPLICATIONS IN ALMERIA - 4 posts
Residentias - 0 posts
till April the 9th. - 3 posts
Inspection dates - 2 posts
What area should we choose? - 10 posts
Return of Deposit Monies!! - 8 posts
Anyone bought on Atalaya de Mojacar? - 2 posts
Quality Warning! - 9 posts
launching jet ski's Costa Blanca Area - 0 posts
St Georges Day - A bank holiday?? - 26 posts
Anything music .. just great listening - 2 posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANICE - 27 posts
End of month gone.....still no sign!!! - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x