What area should we choose?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Mar 2007 12:00 AM by kicker Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi everyone

My husband and I plus two small children are looking to move to spain within 3 years.

Our main reason for moving is that my husband suffers from s.a.d.s. and so we want to go somewhere with more year round sunshine and so we are looking at Andalucia.We know we want to be less than an hour from an airport, be within reach of an international school and be no further than a half hours drive from the coast

we are coming out to spain in May to start looking around and will be staying in Nerja this time

can anyone suggest any areas that fit the above?

thanks for any help in advance

jo

Like 0      
30 Mar 2007 1:28 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
30 Mar 2007 5:27 PM by jamiealmeria Star rating in Mojacar, Almeria. 73 posts Send private message

Hello Jo,

Have a look at the Mojacar area in Almeria - it has the most hours of sunshine in mainland europe and is the driest place in mainland europe - there is an international school opening in Vera Playa upto 18 years old in Sept this year and prices for property are better than most other costas - as well as being perhaps a bit more spanish if you want it to be. 1/2 hour from coast will include Mojacar, Vera, Turre, Villaricos, Arboleas, Huercal Overa and many more depending on what you want around you.

It is very nice here and you should have a look. Another area is Murcia - with an international school opening near the Mar Menor. Trouble is this is a treck from Nerja and is not as "pretty" an area as Mojacar.

Good luck with your search!

Jamie

Like 0      
30 Mar 2007 11:45 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi Kicker the Costa del Sol or del Crime as otherwise known is very cosmopolitan with excellent infrastructure and well established international schools - while never diagnosed SAD I suspect that the lack of sunlight affected my demeanour in the UK - more expensive to buy than the other costas but possibly not as much in it as there was. Well established communities and can find areas more Spanish - plenty generally for the kids to do after school too.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
02 May 2007 12:05 AM by sabber Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Hi Kicker,

The coast of Granada ticks all the boxes.  Almunecar, which is a lovely coastal village/town  in particular is half an hour's drive from Malaga airport and 45 mins from Granada airport.  It has an international school and enjoys one of the best climate in Spain.  This area is also known as Costa Tropical due to its microclimate.  Salobrena is only 5 minutes drive from Almunecar and slightly quieter in low season.    Unfortunately, due to the recent completion of the motorway and Ryanair's flights to Granada, prices in the area are rising fast.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Sabber

Like 0      
06 May 2007 7:53 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hola    Kicker.        Welcome to the info site  we are about 15 kms from Nerja  so we know the area pretty well its a nice town /area with a big mixture of people from all the world  with some nice beaches around the area , Torrox costa is also nice area , plenty of property on the market (its a buyers market )  so dont be fooled into thinking the prices are rising fast . there used to be about 100 agents in Nerja alone  but it might be less now (or soon ) . just take your time check out the areas be careful inland many properties DONOT have the correct papers such as planning ,deeds, over the last 2-3 years many planning problems have have come out of the woodwork  it is a bit like a mini Marbella in some areas .Almunecar is not our personal taste to live as we like nice beaches.         Best of luck on your trip    Regards Rosi n 

This message was last edited by rosi n on 5/20/2007.

Like 0      
16 May 2007 8:51 AM by Motril Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi Jo:

If I were you, I'd move to Motril. It's got the biggest beach in Granada, you've got an international school in Almuñécar (only 19km from Motril), it's genuinely Spanish, Granada airport is quite near, it's cheaper than Nerja, you can see Sierra Nevada and its snowy peaks while you're having a drink on the beach, people are really friendly, it's starting to attract a more relaxed kind of tourism than other areas in Spain (golf resorts, no seafronts full of discos and pubs with everything written in English), etc.

Have a look!

Like 0      
17 May 2007 8:28 PM by chrissy b Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi kicker we have a nice reformed finca in a rural vilage near Iznajar lovely green area of spain with the main industry being olive growing.It is 50 mins from Malaga and the same from Granada for airport  runs.There are 2 good schools in the area swimming pools 3 <.piscinas> and central to travel to sevile Granada Rhonda cordoba and costa del sol.It is inland and is starting to become the jewel in the crown to purshase there the prices will start to rise due to a new airport in Antequera being built to help with the overspill from malaga airport .The propertys for sale in the area mainly consist of traditional Andalucian town and rural houses but the solicitor we dealt with was thourogh in searching for any problems and it is totaly legaly ours we to got caught up in the issue of the ALMANZORA COUNTRY CLUB  and are now happy and very pleased with our own peice of spain . Graham

Like 0      
31 May 2007 12:03 PM by Grazy Star rating in Estepona. 17 posts Send private message

Hi,

I have live in Estepona for 20 yrs, so I can tell you a little about the area west of Marbella to help you to build up a bigger picture of Andalusia.

The Estepona area is 45min from Malaga AP and 30 min from Gibraltar AP.

Estepona is a wonderful old town with an attractive port where you’ll receive a warm welcome. It has spacious beaches. Behind Estepona there are beautiful mountain villages to learn about.

You will be close to Puerto Banus and Marbella, which has a wonderful old town.

Our nearest town is San Pedro, which is lovely too!

There are so many marvellous places in Andalucia, you’r54ev going to have so much fun exploring them all!

Andalucia a great place to live!

www.26intheshade.com

Like 0      
05 Jun 2007 7:01 PM by Gevaudan Star rating in Málaga. 16 posts Send private message

Gevaudan´s avatar

Hi Kicker,

I´m Spanish. I live in Málaga town.

Many places in the province could fit your needs, but we would need to know more clearly about this:

1- The temperature is not the same in all the province. While staying 15 kms inland can be very hot in summer, on the coast can be quite fine, especially in the evenings. Even depending on which coastal area you stay, climate may be better or worse (I talk about  "too hot" in summer.

2- You like Spanish or British area? I mean, do you want to be near british amenities, bars, etc. or you want to be away from it? There are interesting places where you can have both, which may be convenient. You are in "Spain" but in 15 minutes drive you can related with british community and services.

3- Choose be near to an important international airport, like Málaga airport, for instance. Come what may with low cost airlines in the future, an important airport will always give you choice for sure of a conection with the U.K

4- If you have Spanish friends or British friends already living here who understand Spanish, they can help you search in local internet real estate sites, ads of properties for sale directly by the owner (Spanish or British). You can find very interesting prices if you look for properly. Is better than going to any Spanish or British real estate company. Then to feel secure, ask legal advice (Spanish or British), there are good and bad ones in both cases, like in everything :-)

As a general rule, you´ll find the western coast of the province more "over-developped" but with more services and the other wayround on the eastern coast and inland, but this can vary looking more specifically by towns. All together, following the conditions you say you need, I would consider areas from Calahonda in the west to Nerja in the East and the area of Valle del Guadalhorce, which is nice, well connected and to a certain degree, still unspoilt.

Good luck 

Like 0      
11 Jun 2007 9:15 PM by Grazy Star rating in Estepona. 17 posts Send private message

Before we had decided exactly where to live in Spain, we bought an old camper and spent several weeks finding out about different areas.

We eventually found a busy pub set in the midst of communal gardens at La Cala de Mijas. We bought both the pub and the accommodation. 2 years later we sold it and opened a restaurant in Estepona, where we have lived for 20 years.

We never regretted our 6 weeks exploring Andalucia in the camper before coming to a decision.

Another common method is to rent a place to live, whilst you have a good look around, before buying.

I’d would really like to hear how other expats decided where to settle:-

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Return of Deposit Monies!! - 8 posts
Anyone bought on Atalaya de Mojacar? - 2 posts
Quality Warning! - 9 posts
launching jet ski's Costa Blanca Area - 0 posts
St Georges Day - A bank holiday?? - 26 posts
Anything music .. just great listening - 2 posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANICE - 27 posts
End of month gone.....still no sign!!! - 2 posts
Franchises - 2 posts
Looking for Super King Size Bedding in CB - 4 posts
Euro Anglosur / Prestige Villas - 2 posts
The Cod Father,El Faro,CDS. - 0 posts
The Green Olive - Sabinillas - 6 posts
Estate Agent Speak - 34 posts
Almeria - 5 posts
Marbella Belles - 4 posts
Replacement Locks - 11 posts
Great Place to Relocate in Spain - 8 posts
NON-RESIDENT HOMEOWNERS IN MÁLAGA AND THE CAMPO DE GIBRALTAR AREAS - 4 posts
new apartments - los granados del mar, estepona - 1 posts
Gardening in demand in Costa Blanca South??? - 0 posts
TV shows .. general chit chat .. come on in .. - 14 posts
Break-ins - 26 posts
court cases against non payers of the community - 21 posts
Builder / Odd Job Man - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x