Forum signatures need sorting - Your input please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Apr 2009 12:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Forum signatures have always given us a big headache here!  As you know we don't allow advertising within forum posts but people can link to their business in their forum signature.

However, forum signature advertising is one of the biggest complaints we get on a weekly basis.  Some are just so in-you-face with yellow highlighting, etc, and there's often more content in the signature that in the actual post!

I think it's time to address the issue.  It seems to affect more the community/ development forums with people advertising their property management, rentals and other services.  I don't actually have a problem with this as such but the complaints we get are to do with the fact that often the actual posts being made aren't all that helpful and they are only making the posts so that people see their signatures.

Many users have commented that the quality of posting would increase if we limited the forum signatures.

This is where I need you help....

We are considering a couple of options.

1. Pay a small fee to advertise your business or rental in your signature and limit the amount of text.  Paid for signatures would be labelled as "Advertising signature"

2. Limit the amount of text and highlighting and keep it free and disallow "calls to action" such as "visit my website for great offers on our services". 

Either option would be difficult for us to manage but what do you think?

The idea is to improve the user experience but not totally put off those who give good advice and help who also want people to know what their business is.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks for your help.

Justin

Either option is difficult

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 12:02 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

How about no advertising but allow each "proven" member their own cv somewhere meaning that an interested party could view it?

To stop those who often appear and seem to be seaking an "immediate gain" one has to have contributed x amount of times etc etc?

Fully appreciate it is very difficult to put all into certain "brackets"

Good luck!!!!!!

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 12:10 PM by funluvin99 Star rating in Scotland / Moraira. 96 posts Send private message

funluvin99´s avatar

I would suggest limiting the size to be the same as yours Justin - normal text, with 2 lines - one can be a link to the business and the other a short sentence saying what it is, reason being if they are normal text they don't catch the eye so much and so are more inoffensive.

I would also not allow any until they had made 50 posts and proven they are genuine community members - with you reserving the right as the site owner to refuse the links if they had not made genuinely contributing posts. I wouldn't like to see it being something you need to pay for, kinda goes against my views of a community...though appreciate the revenue might be welcome.

Regards

funluvin

Never let anyone tell you what you can't do!!

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 12:22 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

I like the idea of leaving a link to a website, plus a short explanation of what you are about.

But, I think that this should only be allowed to established members, not new posters.

Could this be linked to the part EOS controls, whereby we become a finca, villa, superstar etc.,?

Only when you have reached a certain level, can you put a link or any wording in your signature?

I agree that loads of newbies, just come on EOS to post drivel to get their business "seen".

This does need addressing urgently

Have pm'd you Justin

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 1:13 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I agree with Fibby and Funluvin, especially when what Funluvin said is exactly what I said:

"I would suggest limiting the size to be the same as yours Justin - normal text, with 2 lines - one can be a link to the business and the other a short sentence saying what it is"

It's nice and inoffensive and yet is always there wherever you post in whatever topic.

That way people can see you are a genuine person and give of your time freely and not just some 'ambulance chaser' out to fleece you!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 1:26 PM by funluvin99 Star rating in Scotland / Moraira. 96 posts Send private message

funluvin99´s avatar

Hi Technoape

Is there a missing post from you?? or have I finally developed my ESP from China!!!! :-)

Regards

Funluvin

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 1:42 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Hi Funluvin,

Na! No missing post from me.

I actually now work for EOS here in Manilva, Spain, however I have kept my original user name and avatar from when I lived in the UK.

So as I now work for EOS and am a Mod, now everyone can see it says 'EOS Team' below every post I make and have made.

And as I said, Justin and I were taking about this subject this morning and you said exactly what I said.

Bit confusing I know, especially as there hasn't been an announcement about me joining the EOS Team - Ahem! Justin! Ahem! Ahem!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 1:52 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I agree with everyone here, but also wouldn't have a problem making a "donation" to EOS - similar to what Gary has implemented on ML for those advertising their rentals/sales!

You provide a great platform for all of us, so you should be able to reap some benefit from us advertising in our signatures.

Make it a "one off" donation - still keeping to the size guidelines.  Members who don't "donate" have their signatures edited!

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 1:59 PM by funluvin99 Star rating in Scotland / Moraira. 96 posts Send private message

funluvin99´s avatar

ah, that makes sense technoape - did notice the EOS Team on your signature but wasn't sure in what capacity!!

Well glad we can say that great minds think alike (or fools seldom differ!) thought i would add the second bit before someone else did!! 

Regards

Funluvin

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 2:06 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

I agree with Pitby on paying a one off fee.

I would be more than happy to do this.

However, this wouldn't deter the persistant forum lepers, who only go on forums to advertise!

They would pay the one off fee and have a field day!

And yes, Justin, the only knowledge we had of Techno joining the gang,

was when he kept eating all that french bread in your office and was helping with the new website format!

We want an announcement please!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 2:16 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Hi Fibby,

technically those forum lepers can have a field day at the moment without paying anything!

So, maybe, as you have all said, it could be restricted to members who have made 50 or more posts.  But then, wouldn't that take a bit more monitoring than, say, just editing out advertising links that haven't donated?

The signature should still be limited in size and text, so the only difference is no one can do it without "donating" - otherwise they'll be edited out.

Just a suggestion ...

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 2:21 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Might work Pitby.........I am happy to pay

It's a very good iea, maybe Justin can "tweak" it somehow......

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 3:11 PM by pepino Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

I don't understand why you need to allow advertising signatures or weblinks on the forums pages at all.  The Fibby UK signature for example I find hugely annoying and distracting.  I also discount much of her contribution as I assume her motivation is advertising.  Nothing personal - just an illustration.  If folk want to advertise there is provision for that on this site.  Go pay for it. 

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 3:12 PM by leswill Star rating. 120 posts Send private message

Hi Justin, you know some of my thoughts from the PM, however I would also be happy to pay if you feel that would resolve the problem.  I am not really convinced it would help your situation though.  I also have my reservations about  picking a set number of posts as the goal to reach before enabling signature posts - it may encourage people to post just to reach this limit and therefore not necessarily encourage posts which are of useful info?  If a new member were to go onto every section and start a couple of new threads then replies, they could reach 100 prettily easily, but not necessarily contribute anything of any value.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 3:24 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Pepino

Can you explain more about my signature please?

Is it the running black cat you find so distracting, or the type font/colour used in my signature?

I cannot see how my avatar, or signature varies so much from other EOS member's

Also, I take offence that you, I quote:  "discount much of her contribution as I assume her motivation is advertising"

Have you read every one of the 2000+ posts that I have made in coming to that decision?

I THINK NOT!

Don't make such comments to try to discredit me without the correct information.

You have made 9 posts, so a new member, I assume, how on earth can you judge me?!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 3:28 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

pepino,

Actually myself and other forum users know that FibbyUK didn't get EOS Superstar status for nothing, just like Morerosado and Smiley, to name a couple more, they have all earned it over the years they have posted on this forum, and from the quality of those postings.

Anyway, back on topic....

This is a difficult area for EOS hence why Justin has posted this question to allow feedback from all forum users as to what is the best course of action.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 3:34 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I'll donate to keep Tweetie Pie!!!!!

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 3:38 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Actually Pitby, you should be fined heavily for letting Simpson moon at us all the time!

I too would pay the earth to keep my black cat Fibby

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 3:39 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

"Sufferin' succotash!"

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 3:40 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Thorry Technoape..............back to the subject............!!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Any recommend a good chiropractor between Gibraltar and Marbella? - 7 posts
Looking for Paul Tobias - 1 posts
how bad is the market? - 9 posts
West Highland White Terrier Puppy wanted - 1 posts
Wireless Internet - 10 posts
Passport validity - 8 posts
How to access the online form for Resident Income Tax 2008 - 9 posts
Vandalism! - 4 posts
Can I delay my completion based on a lack of insurance underwriting of my rental scheme? - 1 posts
Spanish 'Highway Code' - 1 posts
Is there a time limit to issue the LFO and is a back-dated LFO legal? - 5 posts
Chinese - 15 posts
Size of Pump - 2 posts
Chanel+, do not adjust your set - 3 posts
Telmicro fights back ! - 0 posts
electricity question. - 6 posts
Buyers on Ochando Be Aware - 0 posts
Ryanair ... - 42 posts
Alicante - 0 posts
Monarch increase hold baggage price! - 17 posts
pool safety - 3 posts
Can I withhold some of my community fees? - 1 posts
PLEASE HELP RE CANNOT ACCESS E-MAILS FROM YAHOO - 10 posts
Advice required re non completion of amenities. Can we withdraw from contract due to this? - 18 posts
Bankruptcy check estate agent /developer - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 49

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x