Developer Changes to our Apartment

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by Ben10 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

We bought our apartment off plan in 2008 in the usual way and it is due for completion in the latter part of 2009. We had a family holiday in Spain last October to allow us to visit the site and check on progress. We carefully chose the position of our apartment to ensure we were on the end of the overall development to obtain the best views from our terrace. To explain the layout of the building; the development ranges between 6 to 8 storey’s, linear on plan and has circa 8 blocks - each block on plan having an apartment adjacent to a lift/stair tower adjacent to an apartment. To our shock when we arrived on site the builder had built an additional half an apartment width, over 4 stories) on to the side of our apartment block. It took us a further 3-4 weeks to get a formal response from the developer to explain what this was. The best explanation we got was "we are not sure why the builder has done this but as nobody can access this space on our level other than from our apartment we will give you a larger terrace and a further storage space.

We asked our lawyer what our options were as we felt the developer had changed the basis of our contract without informing us or obtaining our agreement. We asked whether we had the option to cancel our contract and obtain monies paid to date (20% of purchase price). The response was probably not. We would have to go to court to get our money back and the judge would not grant this as we were getting a bigger terrace. Although we are not desperate to cancel I felt a little let down by this advice. I am not legally trained but I felt that this is a major change to the original plan and as it was the developer fault does this not change the fundamentals of the contract. The developer has also tried to suggest we would have to pay for any additional tiling, wall finishes, lighting etc to the additional storage area the extra construction creates.

I would really appreciate any advice on this.

BT

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 8:21 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I am doing some coments below in bold green ( I hope they will help) even when so delayed. 

We bought our apartment off plan in 2008 in the usual way and it is due for completion in the latter part of 2009. We had a family holiday in Spain last October to allow us to visit the site and check on progress. We carefully chose the position of our apartment to ensure we were on the end of the overall development to obtain the best views from our terrace. To explain the layout of the building; the development ranges between 6 to 8 storey’s, linear on plan and has circa 8 blocks - each block on plan having an apartment adjacent to a lift/stair tower adjacent to an apartment. To our shock when we arrived on site the builder had built an additional half an apartment width, over 4 stories) on to the side of our apartment block. It took us a further 3-4 weeks to get a formal response from the developer to explain what this was. The best explanation we got was "we are not sure why the builder has done this but as nobody can access this space on our level other than from our apartment we will give you a larger terrace and a further storage space. 

We asked our lawyer what our options were as we felt the developer had changed the basis of our contract without informing us or obtaining our agreement. We asked whether we had the option to cancel our contract and obtain monies paid to date (20% of purchase price). The response was probably not. We would have to go to court to get our money back and the judge would not grant this as we were getting a bigger terrace. That is not legally correct: I mean: the terrace cannot substitute the view unless you agree. You can cancel the contract on that basis.. Although we are not desperate to cancel I felt a little let down by this advice. I am not legally trained but I felt that this is a major change to the original plan and as it was the developer fault does this not change the fundamentals of the contract. The developer has also tried to suggest we would have to pay for any additional tiling, wall finishes, lighting etc to the additional storage area the extra construction creates.

I would really appreciate any advice on this.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 1:47 PM by friendly Star rating in North Lanarkshire. 125 posts Send private message

Hi BT

I know how you feel as we have a similar situation.  We bought a ground floor apt with a pool view off-plan in 2007.  We were on holiday and went to see the apt and discovered that our pool view is now a 12ft Brick Wall.  On the artists sketch which we seen when buying the apt the pool was clearly visible from our balcony.  We are looking on to the wall of the pool about 8-10 feet from our balcony.

Our solicitor told us that if we take this to court we would probably lose the case as this it not a strong enough point to cancel our contract.  We are due to complete this week but we will not be buying this apt.  I dont know what will happen as no one has made contact  with us.  I hope you get yours sorted.  Good Luck

Like 0      
04 May 2009 6:07 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear Friendly:

If you keep copy of the publicty, you can claim contract cancellation (refund of all money paid plus legal interests)  or price reduction due to importnat quality difference of the object.

Best regards,

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 May 2009 8:05 PM by friendly Star rating in North Lanarkshire. 125 posts Send private message

Hi Maria,

I have a copy of all the publicity.  My lawyer says that I cannot cancel on this basis.  Maybe you can send me details of your partners in the San Javier area as I think I need to change lawyers.

Thanks

Like 0      
05 May 2009 11:22 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

We work nationwide.

Thanks,

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
06 May 2009 3:08 PM by friendly Star rating in North Lanarkshire. 125 posts Send private message

Great. Thats good to know

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Horse riding - 2 posts
telitec internet - 0 posts
Something to keep in mind.... - 3 posts
Finally sorted!! 7500kg truck leaving UK March 15th. - 0 posts
Ryanair set to charge £1 to use the toilet! - 39 posts
Auriga Crown at Murcia airport - 8 posts
Please speak English!! - 19 posts
A totally free and unique property website - 0 posts
RECIEVING LOTS OF EXTRA SKY CHANNELS - 2 posts
Can you pick up English channels without a dish - 5 posts
Got some learning Spanish ideas for you all! - 2 posts
Developer Mortgage Question? - 12 posts
Linea Directa - liberty seguros - Mapfre ? - 5 posts
Weather forecast - who do you trust? - 3 posts
john colling - 0 posts
New Site Live!!! - 139 posts
Income Tax & Social Security - 7 posts
Transfering Regular Money to Spain - 4 posts
Spain: Who Is Responsible For The Property Bubble? - 3 posts
What's happened to Manilva Leisure ? - 9 posts
Wanted : Villa Rental - Mijas Costa - 0 posts
Snagging - 0 posts
Why oh why - 1 posts
Residents get together - 5 posts
Right Move International - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x