Income Tax & Social Security

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Feb 2009 00:00 by kevinphall Star rating. 6 posts Send private message


I have been searching the interenet for hours and can't seem to find the answer, so hopefully someone on here will be kind enough to help me.

I am moving to Malage with my Partner in May. I currenty work as a travel agent on a self employed basis from home, and I am able to continue with this job from Malaga.

I can gather that I have to pay social security of around 220 euros per month, and it seem tax at 25%, after a personal limit of around 5000 euros, thisseems really high.

Does anyone know what my nett pay would be on a salary of around 20'000 Euros a year? Can I deduct costs such as broadband/telephone lines that I need for my business?? Also in the UK and I can offset a % of my rent that I use as an office, can I do this in Spain?

Any advise would be really appreciated!!


Like 0      
18 Apr 2009 14:03 by gazzyboi Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

good question mate, i had this when i moved here. i cant remember off the top of my head, but if your in malaga one day pick up a euroweekly, which contains the B2B magazine, in there youll find thair website and youll be able to find that info there.

alternativley just have a look for B2B, spain on google! hope this helps mate


Like 0      
22 Apr 2009 12:31 by Mar Durio Star rating. 54 posts Send private message

 Dear Kevin,


I assume that you would like to work in Spain as Spanish self-employed. In that case you have to register at the Police (for your .I.E. number) , and at the Inland Revenue as self employed.

You have to pay Social Security monthly around 250 € and your taxes quarterly but without any specific %. That is depend on your income, in Spain is not always the same %. 

When you are self-employed you do not need a salary, just declare your income you take in and your expenses involved in that activity. 

Like 0      
01 Jun 2009 08:52 by stephenspain Star rating. 1 posts Send private message


I am also planning to work on a self employed basis. I have my NIE but not residencia. I am a builder/ plasterer and would like to register my self as a one man company if this is possible?

I gather I will have to pay around 250/month but I wonder what happens if I don't get work? Do they still make me pay if I am not earning? Can I claim money back if I have no work(i.e dole?). Are my wife and children covered for doctors etc. through my payments?

Any help would be great. Thank you

Like 0      
01 Jun 2009 09:15 by bakeja Star rating in Manilva. 49 posts Send private message

A Guide to Social Security in Spain was published on this website last month - it's under Articles/Working in Spain and may be a good starting point.


 Advoco Law & Accountancy

Latest article: Guide to Spain's Autonomo System

Like 0      
01 Jun 2009 09:19 by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message


i see no reason why you cannot continue to trade under a uk ltd company and be paid in £ and yes offset all however would imagine you would still need to pay ni or equivalent in spain



Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.



Like 0      
01 Jun 2009 09:55 by Mar Durio Star rating. 54 posts Send private message

 Hello Stephen,

It is possible to register yourself as a one man company. You have to pay 250 € month to the Social Security even if you aern no money during your register time, as well as, make your IVA and IRPF return quartely. You could claim your IVA back if you have more expenses than income but not the Social Security. Your wife and your children will be covered for doctors through your payments. 

Mar Durio
Calle Ancha 30, 2º
E-11201 Algeciras
(t) +34.956.092.687
(f) +34.956.092.697


Like 0      
03 Jun 2009 15:21 by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hello Stephen

Were you paying social security back in the UK?  You and your family may be entitled to healthcare under the reciprocal agreement.  If so, you will need to apply for the form E106.



 Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain:

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Transfering Regular Money to Spain - 4 posts
Spain: Who Is Responsible For The Property Bubble? - 3 posts
What's happened to Manilva Leisure ? - 9 posts
Wanted : Villa Rental - Mijas Costa - 0 posts
Snagging - 0 posts
Why oh why - 1 posts
Residents get together - 5 posts
Right Move International - 4 posts
Community Charges - 9 posts
Rose & Thistle - 0 posts
Saturday Feb 28th Andalucia Day... - 5 posts
Moving to spain - 6 posts
Iceland in Spain? - 43 posts
End of the Euro ?? Could it really happen - 3 posts
Does anyone know of a van with spare room coming from UK to Manilva Area in March 09 - 9 posts
Signature on documents - 2 posts
Keith and Liz we live in La Escha near Lorca Murcia - 1 posts
UK van & storage back working. 1st March in Scotland. - 0 posts
I'm frustrated by my inablity to learn Spanish - 52 posts
Ryanair to drop check in desks by end of year? - 8 posts
golf starter kits - bargain - 0 posts
buying a repossesion - 7 posts
NIE Application in Manchester - 3 posts
Football fans on the Costa Blanca - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Compare car hire in Spain

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x