Something to keep in mind....

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

.... Whilst living in Spain and Driving around in a UK car that should be re-registered.

What I am about to tell you happened last night where we live, how do I know, because I was there!

I have been helping out with Security on our Urb. either as an occasional extra Guard for a few hours a night, or just to cover one of the guards for an hour or two.

Well last night I was approached by an English chap in his Twenties and he asked me "Are you Security?" to which I replied "Yes!" and bearing in mind  I was wearing a big yellow fluorescent jacket at the time and was walking around shining my torch about!!!!???!!

He said, "Can you help as I have a problem with my car?" I said “Why? Has it been broken into? And he said “No!”

Now I thought, "Either this is some sort of wind up or a ploy by some gang!" so I radioed in to say what I was going to investigate and where I was going.

When I got to the place the guy said his car was, I couldn't believe my eyes. Now I'm sure a few of you reading this will have seen the original Italian Job film, where the bus is teetering on the edge of a cliff.... yes! You can see where I'm going with this....

His car had careered down the road, backwards, down the hill, which is very steep, and gone off the edge of the road, down the bank and was then on the edge of the ledge with a nasty big drop below it!!!!

After a minute or two and a few thoughts I noticed the car was on English plates and it did NOT have a licence disc in the window, and just before I could say anything the guy said "Can you call the police! Do you think they could help?"

My first question then was "Do you have Insurance?" and "Has the car been here more than six months?" to wit he replied "No! and Yes! It has been here well over a year now."

So my guess was that if he hadn't insured the car and there was no tax disc that he probably didn't have an MOT either!!!

Therefore the only advice I could give him was "call someone you know who has a big 4x4 and get them to carefully pull the car onto the ledge it has dropped onto and then pull it sideways so that it is facing towards the road, then pull it onto the road. Because if I call the police for you, then you are in a world of trouble!" (or words to that effect).

This morning before I came to work I heard that they did what I suggested or similar and got the car back onto the road, as to what state it is in I can't tell you!

Moral “If you drive around in illegal UK cars then you are going to come a cropper!”

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 2/27/2009.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
27 Feb 2009 7:19 PM by LesD Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

So I suppose you could say you've acquiesced in getting an illegal car back on the road!!!

Like 0      
28 Feb 2009 6:55 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

I totally agree with LesD.

There are far to many illegal, uninsured vehicles on Spanish roads. English registered or otherwise.

I can understand TechnoApe being the good samaritan in his position as security guard, etc., for which he should be commended but so many people have suffered in the past by negligence on the part of irresponsible drivers.

They can sue the uninsured driver, who has no money anyway, so it´s a no win situation?

Let him come a "cropper", I say!!

pilgrim

Like 0      
28 Feb 2009 8:34 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Umm!

This is what I was trying to say by starting this thread.

I pointed out to the owner of the vehicle that he is in a world of trouble and if the police catch up with him then look out, its holiday time in a place I wouldn't bend over to pick up the soap!!!!

Must admit I can't understand why you think I acquiesced in getting an illegal car back on the road when I walked away from the situation and wanted nothing more to do with it, and in addition pointed out to the owner the error of his ways.

The idea of this thread is to give warning and advice to anybody who is doing the same, not to do such!

That is the whole idea of this forum.... help and advice!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Finally sorted!! 7500kg truck leaving UK March 15th. - 0 posts
Ryanair set to charge £1 to use the toilet! - 39 posts
Auriga Crown at Murcia airport - 8 posts
Please speak English!! - 19 posts
A totally free and unique property website - 0 posts
RECIEVING LOTS OF EXTRA SKY CHANNELS - 2 posts
Can you pick up English channels without a dish - 5 posts
Got some learning Spanish ideas for you all! - 2 posts
Developer Mortgage Question? - 12 posts
Linea Directa - liberty seguros - Mapfre ? - 5 posts
Weather forecast - who do you trust? - 3 posts
john colling - 0 posts
New Site Live!!! - 139 posts
Income Tax & Social Security - 7 posts
Transfering Regular Money to Spain - 4 posts
Spain: Who Is Responsible For The Property Bubble? - 3 posts
What's happened to Manilva Leisure ? - 9 posts
Wanted : Villa Rental - Mijas Costa - 0 posts
Snagging - 0 posts
Why oh why - 1 posts
Residents get together - 5 posts
Right Move International - 4 posts
Community Charges - 9 posts
Rose & Thistle - 0 posts
Saturday Feb 28th Andalucia Day... - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x