Can you pick up English channels without a dish

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by SARAH CHESTER Star rating in Yorkshire and Isla P.... 28 posts Send private message

SARAH CHESTER´s avatar

Help! Can anyone tell me if a dish is imperative to pick up English channels?  I am on the middle floor of a 3 floor apartment block near Puerto de Mazarron.  Because of the location of my apartment i am finding it difficult as to where to site a satellite dish.  Is it possible to pick up any English channels by obtaining a digi-box like i would do at home and maybe get some free channels?  I am not very clued up on this sort of thing, so if anyone can give me some advice i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

P.S i have already tried asking my upstairs neighbour who has a solarium, but it wasnt very forthcoming, and he has already done his own thing!!!

Like 0      
26 Feb 2009 3:01 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Does your neighbour have his own dish? Why not ask if you can connect to it for a small fee? We pay €70 on our urb for connection to someone else's dish. If he doesn't have room on his lnb, ask if you can buy a quad lnb for it to make the connection.

Mark

Like 0      
26 Feb 2009 4:10 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

In SPain, the UK TV channels are only available via satellite - either with your own dish or via a third party - like the rebroadcasters.

The digibox in the UK - called freeview - will work in spain, but it is designed only for use witha TV aerial system - not satellite. Therefore in spain it will only pick up the spanish TV signals...on the spanish version of freeview called TDT.

see here for more information

http://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-5572.aspx

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
26 Feb 2009 5:35 PM by SARAH CHESTER Star rating in Yorkshire and Isla P.... 28 posts Send private message

SARAH CHESTER´s avatar

Thanks satandpc guy.  How many channels can i expected on the TDT? I see from your thread that you can change Disney etc but i wondered whether there would be many more that i could change the language and would it be worth it.  Could i expect to receive many English channels through a 80cm dish in the Murcia region.  From what i understand (and it isn't much-believe me!) is that i wont get BBC and ITV but what i don't want is only shopping channels.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2009 5:58 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

on TDT you can get around 30 digital channels.it does depend on which tdt transmitter you are using...try www.tdt.es and input your postcode and you can see if you can get tdt and which channels.

you can change to the alternate language on most of the main channels (TVE1,2, Ant3, Neox N, La Sexta, Cinquo, Quatro, SET, Disney, K3,300, (some of these may be local channels and you may not get these!), but note that this may not always be english..and the service may not always be available - one channel has the second audio soundtrack as the music soundtrack!

an 80cm dish will not get you bbc or itvs but you can get around 150 uk / english tv channels...many of which are of shopping channels. you can get true movies (and the other variaions) sky news, bbc news, bbc radio, a few music video channels...

this is a cut and paste from my site

What channels can i get on what size dish?

(I am using links as these will be more accurate and complete than posting all the 100's of channels here..)

using this link for free tv channels
http://www.flysat.com/tv-uk.php

on an 80 cm dish you should be able to pick up most of the channels on eurobird 1
on an 80 cm dish you should be able to pick up most of the channels on astra 2,a,b south beam
on an 80 cm dish you may not be able to pick up the channels on astra 2,a,b north beam
on an 80 cm dish you should be able to pick up most of the channels on astra 2c
on an 80 cm dish you will not be able to pick up of the channels on astra 2d

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
26 Feb 2009 7:26 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Just a thought, have you got a communial TV system, why not ask your president when TDT ariel will be installed.  All you need to do then is buy a receiver box.

Another solution would be to go for Digital +, last thime I was over they were advertising this system in the press and also saying that they had english speaking operators.

The system uses a small dish which would easily fit on your apartments patio, balcony etc.  You need to add the Series package to the basic system these programmes contain various american  shows similar to those shown on Living and Hallmark.

I was thinking about having this installed and spoke to ClaireT, hopefully she will see this thread and come on to tell us exactly what shows are on the various channels. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Got some learning Spanish ideas for you all! - 2 posts
Developer Mortgage Question? - 12 posts
Linea Directa - liberty seguros - Mapfre ? - 5 posts
Weather forecast - who do you trust? - 3 posts
john colling - 0 posts
New Site Live!!! - 139 posts
Income Tax & Social Security - 7 posts
Transfering Regular Money to Spain - 4 posts
Spain: Who Is Responsible For The Property Bubble? - 3 posts
What's happened to Manilva Leisure ? - 9 posts
Wanted : Villa Rental - Mijas Costa - 0 posts
Snagging - 0 posts
Why oh why - 1 posts
Residents get together - 5 posts
Right Move International - 4 posts
Community Charges - 9 posts
Rose & Thistle - 0 posts
Saturday Feb 28th Andalucia Day... - 5 posts
Moving to spain - 6 posts
UK PLASMA TV IN SPAIN? - 2 posts
Iceland in Spain? - 43 posts
End of the Euro ?? Could it really happen - 3 posts
Does anyone know of a van with spare room coming from UK to Manilva Area in March 09 - 9 posts
Signature on documents - 2 posts
Keith and Liz we live in La Escha near Lorca Murcia - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x