Freeview vs Freesat vs Freesatfromsky vs Sky and how to spot a rebroadcaster

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
i was asked this question earlier and I thought it may be good for here also...

"Please excuse my ignorance - but is freeview the same as freesat?"

FREEVIEW

"freeview" is the brand name of a UK Digital TV service ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE UK. it is available via tv aerials on the houses, and is only transmitted from TV transmitters in the UK. you will need either a freeview "set top box" or a TV with freeview built in.
freeview is not available in spain.
freeview channels are http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/terrestrial/epg/ or see http://www.freeview.co.uk/home
note there are channels on freeview that you have to pay for on freesat!

spain has its own version of "freeview" called TDT - see tdt.es - 30ish digital spanish tv channels via a TV aerial...many programmes you can change the programmes into their original audio...not always english as a few german programmes have cropped up...you will need a TDT "set top box" or a TV with TDT built in.

FREESAT

you have "Freesat" receivers - they only have about 100 channels on their EPG at the moment. they receive "free to air" channels. Freesat receivers will have the Freesat logo on them.
Freesat Channel List
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/satellite/freesatepg/

at the time of writing (sept 08) FIVE is not available on Freesat.

FREESATFROMSKY

you have sky receivers and a £20 "freesatfromsky" card, - many more channels than Freesat. they receive "free to air" channels and Five, Five US and Fiver, Sky Three, Setanta Sports News ("known as "free to view" channels)
Freesat From Sky CHannel List
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/satellite/f ... romskyepg/

SKY SUBSCRITPION

If you have a sky receivers and want to pay monthly used for Free to air, free to veiw and subscription channels...
Sky CHannel List
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/satellite/skyepg/

Note that many installers are using generic receivers (sometimes called Free To Air receivers) and calling them freesat or freeview receivers which may be confusing people. official freesat and sky receivers have a full 7 day programme guide...generic FTA receivers only have now and next programme infomation.

Generic FTA receivers will get all channels in the link http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/satellite/f ... romskyepg/ - apart from Five, Five US and Fiver, Sky Three, Setanta Sports News.

note that reception of channels depends on your location and dish size

REBROADCASTING

be wary of:
companies offering bbc and itv on a small dish - these can only be legitimatly received for free via a minimun of 1.4mdish (some areas 1.8m)

companies offering bbc and itv for a monthly subscription - bbc and itv are free on satellite and do not need a subscription

companies offering "freesat" with only 20 or 64 channels - by satellite you will recieve over 100 free tv channels, not 20 or 64. the bbc have over 15 regional variations on satellite alone

companies offering sky sports for less than £36 per month or setanta sports for less than £14 per month - the costs of legitimate subscriptions to these channels.

companies showing other countries sports channels like Showtime

companies saying they get BBC and ITV from a satellite (like hotbird) other than Astra 2 - bbc and itv are only broadcast on one "satellite constellation (those satellites at 28.3 to 28.5 degrees)

as these companies will more than likely be a rebroadcasting servies whos signal may be terminated just like Telemicro.

PETAL DISHES

some companies are jumping on the dish bandwagon and offering inferior and poor quality "petal" dishes. in my and many other installers opinion these dishes are a waste of money - one installer said that the 2.4 petal dish performed as good as a 1.4m solid dish and "avoid if you can".

if in doubt, try and find out how long the company has been installing for - check past issues of local newspapers, as since the problems with Telemicro lots of new installation companies have appeared on the scene, and offering poor dishes and receivers in an effort to make money for themselves out of the situation.

ADVANTAGES OF TRUE SATELLITE

with a sky or freesat receiver you can get bbc interactive, sky active and a full 7 day programme guide. you may need a big dish, youo may pay more for the installation, but at least the signal is pretty much gaurenteed as it it direct from the satellite and is not reliant on a third party.

pure digital broadcasting, not reliant on second or third or fourth generation signals as the signals gets past from one rebroadcast transmitter to another. many ex rebroadcasting clients have commented on how ggod the signal direct fromt he satellite is compared to that of a rebroadcasted signal.

and if you are in doubt as to whether or not it is OK to view free satellite tv channels (like BBC and ITV) in Spain via satellite see freesat - Help - Question
which says that "it may be possible outside the UK to use a satellite receiver to pick up channels available on freesat" - nothing about it being illegal - the technical term is "signal overspill"

and if it was illegal to watch TV channels that were broadcsted for free, then all shops selling free to air reciever would be in trouble, as would Canal Digital + (the spanish satellite service) as their recoivers can also pick up free tv satellite channels from other countries.

and as a bonus check out satandpcguy.com • View topic - **STICKY** Extra / Alternative Channels For Sky Receivers
which will keep you informed with those "secret" channels that will get ITV C4 and C4+1 longer that some installers have been charging to input onto your systems.....

Jon

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
17 Sep 2008 1:06 PM by lovekiwis Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

That's an amazing ammount of info Jon,thanks..sure it's helped a lot of people steer clear of any more greedy cowboys.
It's a lot to take in for a 'wrinklie' like me,but sounds like basically,you get what you pay for.There's no way i could find room for(or afford)another dish system in my tiny place,so maybe it's best to try some agreement with the neighbours? It could be complicated,as there are English,Spanish & German on this road.
What would your advice be??
Thanks again. x

Like 0      
21 Sep 2008 10:29 AM by jj325 Star rating in San Pedro del Pinata.... 24 posts Send private message

Many thanks for the information, I look after quite a few properties for people who are in the Uk, now at least I can give them correct and informed information - Shame you are not in the Murcia area!!!  I have been watching a lot os Spanish tv through my daughters tdt(?) box, can you get both English and Spanish television through astra?  Also we have space on our roof but our neighbour does not, can we share a dish? As they are elderly and will really miss the tv in the winter.  

Once again many thanks - satandpcguy

Like 0      
21 Sep 2008 11:05 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
You can share the connection from a dish, you just need to have a multi LNB. Unless you go halfs with the neighbours, they will only need to get the cabling and the box. I think most installers in Spain will probably fit a quad lnb as standard, although maybe only a double.

Mark

Like 0      
21 Sep 2008 11:25 AM by jj325 Star rating in San Pedro del Pinata.... 24 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Mark - I will speak to my neighbours, think they are going to be very pleased!

Like 0      
09 Oct 2008 3:15 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
with regard to this post, i have been keeping an version and constantly updating it on my website

http://www.satandpcguy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63&p=184#p184

hope this helps with many questions re freeview, tdt, freesat, freesatfromsky, sky digital, and UK TV in Spain satellite

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
11 Oct 2008 9:04 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Hi Sat guy
It's me again (bane of your life),
We have now got the 80 cm dish and all singing all dancing LNB. Could you recommend which box would be compatible with it? I know you mentioned the astra and it's pointing in the right direction but just need to know what receiver would be the best?   Confused.com

Like 0      
11 Oct 2008 1:53 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

to get channels on an 80cm dish just abut any digital satellite receiver wil do.....

but if you want to use it for a sky card, then you wil require a sky receiver - best new receiver is the thomson 4214 - best models ever (but no longer made but can only get them refurbished or second hand) on ebay are pace 2600 or 430n

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
11 Oct 2008 1:59 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Great Sat,
You are a gem
Many, many thanks

Like 0      
11 Oct 2008 2:57 PM by roylps Star rating in balsicas, murcia. 56 posts Send private message

Hi Candyfloss, can you let us know how successfull your sky receiver is with your 80cm dish, as we dont live too far away.

Through previous threds, we thought you needed a 1.8 Metre dish to receive any english channels.

Like 0      
11 Oct 2008 3:46 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

"Through previous threds, we thought you needed a 1.8 Metre dish to receive any english channels."

you can get a whole load of UK English tv channels on an 80cm dish - i even got some in the list below on a UK sky 60cm minidish this morning...
but for the main uk channels (bbc and itv and c4) you need a 1,8m dish (some areas can do on a 1.4m dish)

have a look here (posted a few post above) for more info...
http://www.satandpcguy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63&p=184#p184
wghere it states
"Note that reception of channels depends on your location and dish size. As a rough guide:
80cm will get you some channels - approx 50% of whats available
1.4m will get more channels (includng bbc1 and itv1,2,3,4)
1.8/2.4 will get even more channels (including bbc2 and c4)
not all channels will be available all day."

but here is an indication of some the channels you should be able to get (not all will be 24/7)
UCB
Zone Horror +1
Clubland TV
Babestation 2
Rockworld TV
Movies4Men 2
The Fight Network UK
Audi Channel
Zone Reality UK +1
Max TV!
Zone Horror
Zone Romantica UK
House of Fun TV
Fizz
Sumo
Performance Mainstreet
Babeworld TV
Psychic Interactive TV
The Baby Channel
Real Estate TV
Wedding TV UK
Channel U
Film24
Travel Channel UK +1
The Entrepreneur Channel
East Midlands TV
Brit Shorts TV
The Chat Café
The Paranormal Channel
Bubble Hits 
Wine Network
Horse & Country TV
Bedroom TV 
Flava
Bliss
Scuzz
Flaunt
True Movies
True Movies 2
PopGirl +1
Tiny Pop
NME TV
Pop!
Tiny Pop +1
Kix!
The Vault
Anime Central
PopGirl
Chart Show TV 
BBC News
BBC Parliament
Ideal World
QVC UK
S4C Digidol
S4C2 - The Info Channel
Sky News UK
S4C Digidol
QVC UK
Bid TV
BBCi 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
Movies4men
Movies4Men +1
SportsXchange
Zone Reality UK
Wedding TV UK +1
Travel Channel UK
Zone Thriller
Bubble Hits
Travel Channel 2
Awareness TV
Pulse +1
Pulse UK

This message was last edited by satandpcguy on 10/11/2008.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 4:44 PM by roylps Star rating in balsicas, murcia. 56 posts Send private message

Bought a sky thomson freesat box from Ebay and connected to a friends 1.8 M dish, installed using 12.129 (thanks satandpcguy for info) , got loads of sky channels including ITV but not BBC 1 which was defaulted to BBC London on box. I guesse the system could not see that channel, do I need to do a complete new install or should I just add different BBC regions untill the system accepts one.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 5:24 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
a sky receiver, with out a sky card, will normally boot up to the default regions
ie
101 bbc1 london
102 BBC England
103 ITV Central
104 Not available
105 Notavailable

All the BBC regions are on the EPG - look at channel numbers in the 971 upwards
ITV (other regions) and C4, E4, More4, etc you will have to manually add and view them via the SERVICES, OTHER CHANNELS, although some are only available with a Sky card.
See the BONUS links at the bottom of the 1st post for the freqencies and how to add other channels.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 9:06 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Hi Sat Guy
So can I just clarify one more question. With the 80cm dish, sky box and free card would I be able to get ITV and BBC 1? Sorry to be blonde

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 10:37 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
again, you will not get any bbc1 or itvs on a dish that small unless you are in the very north east of spain (nr the french border) and even then the signal may drop out. it makes no difference if you have a sky box or a sky card.

you will get bbc news (and bbc sport interactive by pressing red, 3001 select), and bbc radios.

This message was last edited by satandpcguy on 10/25/2008.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 10:47 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Ok I've got it now. That's 80 quid down the swanny then. Thanks Sat Guy, just needed it in laymans terms.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 3:28 PM by mojito Star rating in Cupar Fife / San Jua.... 268 posts Send private message

Getting back to the TDT system We bought a tv with TDT built in and  installed it. When asked which language we put in English and for Country we had to put in Spain since Uk wasn't there. How do you get programmes in their original language hopefully English?  We are only getting around 30 Spanish and the Sony English channel.  Any ideas? We are in Almeria.

Jo

Jo and Jim

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 6:17 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

TDT is a Spanish only TV system. It broadcasts only in SPain. it broadcasts programmes with a spanish soundtrack, but some channels (like SET and Disney) you can change the language into their original soiundtrack - ie english.

there will be a button on you tdt remote control (normally labeled as "audio" which will allow you to select the soundtrack.....try it on SET or disney and change the language from English to spanish and back again...and listen to the audio when you do the process...

but not all channels / programmes are available with this alternate language....

not all alternative language soundtracks are labelled as ENGLISH, some have QAA, DOS, MUL, VO.

if yo are getting 30 or so channels, then you are pretty much getting all the TDT channels ...

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

minibus - 0 posts
Implications of Not Completing - 39 posts
7 Seater people carrier -Ford Galaxy 2002-1.9TDCI - 6 SPEED - OFFERS??? : - 4 posts
On-site facilities at San Cayetano - 3 posts
8 pay day's till we move out there - 8 posts
Official numbers of the National Office for Rentals - 0 posts
Proper Driving licence - 5 posts
Loosing a passport - 9 posts
Posted on Palmera Site - 5 posts
New at rentals - 1 posts
Transporting a Motorbike - 0 posts
27th September - Coming to Almoradi - 3 posts
primary school in frigliana - 12 posts
Gemma´s Bilingual & Property Services - 0 posts
Would you use a childminder - 3 posts
O2 XDA 11S UNLOCKED - 0 posts
Needed - Desperately - Moped Handbook - 0 posts
Hi..i'm lovekiwis(don't ask!),new to here,but in Pilar Horadada area 8 years - 8 posts
Good Manana - 29 posts
From bad to worse, whats going on? wheres my money gone? - 54 posts
NossieHi - 2 posts
Small claims Procedure (SCP) in Spain. " Monitorios" - 7 posts
4 new dining chairs for sale - 0 posts
Property management company in Rojales area - 3 posts
Alicante airport - getting petrol - 20 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x