Car hire without CREDIT card ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by davethetaller Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

A friend of mine wishes to fly into Alicante or Murcia and hire a car.

He is 58, and drives many miles in a year, in the UK, with a clean driving licence.

In the past, I have hired at the airport, and he has been named , free of charge, as the second driver.

In the near future, he needs to travel alone, but, because of a poor credit history, he has not got a credit card.

Does anyone know, if any companies take cash, or would allow me to phone them, with my credit card details, effectively  standing as his guarantor. A bit like paying for his Easyjet flight or similar.

Thanks in anticipation.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 10:34 AM by dream_louise Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

With many of the car companies you make the reservation online and make the payment when you arrive to pick up the car.  However, with a few companies (Pepe car) etc. you can make the payment before....but as you said, you usually need a credit card upon arrival as a guarantee.

I rent on a long-term basis here with Crown Car Hire and they are exceptionally good...however, whenever I make an initial first booking (if I have suspended it for any reason)....I always need to give a credit card as a guarantee....and then can pay cash for the following weeks....

I know this isnt much help but I think it would be worth contacting them directly.....  ;o)

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 4:13 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hirecarsinspain can arrange credit card free rentals sometimes, but you would have to telephone them and ask the question. Can your friend not get one of the pre pay credit cards that are becoming popular now?

Mark

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 7:46 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Some companies will accept hire car bookings without a credit card BUT they do charge a large fee up front.  I seem to recall Auriga asking for a 500 euro deposit on top of the hire car costs when I was standing next to someone in the queue who had forgotten his credit card.  Perhaps you (or your friend) could email the hire car companies first to check on their policy?

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 8:02 PM by alantracey Star rating. 156 posts Send private message

We fly in to Alicante / Murcia about 3 times a year, and use Carjet.  I have never used my credit card, but use my debit card.  As you know, through carjet you pay on arrival, and can end up using any of the car hire companies at Alicante - as they go with the cheapest at the time.  Perhaps this will be of help?

tracey

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 12:54 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I was reading about this on another big forum, local to Torrevieja.  Do a search, I cannot say here, it's against forum rules.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/28/2009.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 9:18 PM by davethetaller Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Many thanks to all for your replies.

Methinks a call to the various rental companies is the way forward.

Thanks again.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 6:06 PM by sammyray Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

i usually use my friends credit card ;they dont seem to bother whose you use as long as you know the pin

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 6:12 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Crikey, sammyray, I don't have ANY friend I'd trust with MY PIN ! 

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 6:22 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

No only my daughter know;s mine certainly would not give it out, even to friend's even if they are trustworthy I do not think they would want it. 

Pat  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Non subscribing TV - 6 posts
Buying second hand cars in Spain - 7 posts
Baby baby baby I need help! - 4 posts
Carnival in Aguilas, Murcia - 6 posts
Getting an NIE number for a bed ridden relative - 4 posts
Sevilla: A wonder - 0 posts
Play area surface - 1 posts
Kingsize Bed Required - 0 posts
Beware new electricity billing system - 18 posts
habitacion licence help please - 3 posts
Hard Disk video recorder for sale, for those that don't have Sky Plus - 0 posts
Hacienda Del Alamo - 0 posts
Hacienda Del Alamo - 5 posts
Sundays are for music: Spanish songs of the 50´s,60´s and 70´s - 4 posts
Skype Mobile - 1 posts
one for Maria - 2 posts
Long term rental need - 2 posts
Paul Krugman mentions Spain - 3 posts
UK in recession, buy in Spain instead? - 88 posts
Spanish TV Urbanisation issue - 2 posts
Brand new sat dish for sale - 0 posts
Can anyone give me a lift to Malaga airport from San Pedro ( I'll pay you!) - 0 posts
Moving down to live in spain - 1 posts
Mortgage Angel - 0 posts
power of attorney - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x