Buying second hand cars in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by Pix24 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I am new to this forum so Hello all!

I am looking at buying a second hand Ford Focus CMax (2004 onwards) in Spain.  The prices seem cheap compared to the rest of Europe and I am a little worried.  Are the second hand dealers reliable.  Do people run the odometers backward or is the industry fairly well regulated?

Also, are there any specific cities/areas in Spain where there are a lot of used car dealerships?  I would be flying in specifically to buy the beast and would like to have as much choice as possible.

Regards,

Nicola

Like 0      
26 Jan 2009 10:02 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Quote: "The prices seem cheap compared to the rest of Europe"

Umm! Hmm! Most people around here will tell you that 2nd Hand Cars here in Spain are expensive, and I  am one of those people, then again I am comparing used car prices in Spain with UK prices.

I would have thought that Madrid or Barcelona will have the most car dealerships, but here on the CDS Malaga, Fuengirola and Marbella have their fair share.

If the car prices seem very cheap, then it could be that the cars are ex-rental, so be careful.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 1/26/2009.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 12:07 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Yes, seems a little strange! A lot of second hand cars are brought from Germany to Spain, but it's not often you hear of people taking cars from Spain elsewhere. I wonder where you are taking it and why? I have read recently about high mileage ex-taxis and police cars being shipped to Belorussia from the Costa del Sol because the bodywork tends to be better than models sourced from colder climes - but otherwise, I would expect cars from Germany to be better maintained.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 12:56 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

We are looking to source a used car from Germany, they are definately cheaper there. .

http://www.autoscout24.de/

Regards, Poppyseed

Poppyseed

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 8:27 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi Poppyseed,

That website does look cheap.  By the way, slightly hidden away at the bottom of the page is a link to the site in English:

http://eng.autoscout24.com/home/index/default.asp

Do you know if they would ship the cars to Spain?  How easy is it to register a German car in Spain? Presumably you´d need to get an ITV (MOT) done and get a gestor to sort out the paperwork...

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 3:25 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Hi Sanchez1,

Sorry don't have any more info as we have only just started on this quest ourselves. We've got as far as identifying Germany as a good place to buy, the rest we'll have to find out too. Thanks for the tip on the English link!  Will post more info if and when we find it.

Regards, Poppyseed

Poppyseed

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 6:58 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

David, talk to Steve next door he should be back by now, it cost him a fortune to have his car from England transfered over, is it not the same with a German car.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 7:03 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

It has nothing to do with where the car originates from - to re-register it on Spain, you will have to pay a matricualtion tax based on the cars depreciated value and its CO2 emissions. There have been discussions about this on other threads.

Whether a dealer will ship to Spain or not is surely down to the individual dealer. Fortunately, I imagine most of the dealers in Germany will speak English!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Baby baby baby I need help! - 4 posts
Carnival in Aguilas, Murcia - 6 posts
Getting an NIE number for a bed ridden relative - 4 posts
Sevilla: A wonder - 0 posts
Play area surface - 1 posts
Kingsize Bed Required - 0 posts
Beware new electricity billing system - 18 posts
habitacion licence help please - 3 posts
Hard Disk video recorder for sale, for those that don't have Sky Plus - 0 posts
Hacienda Del Alamo - 0 posts
Hacienda Del Alamo - 5 posts
Sundays are for music: Spanish songs of the 50´s,60´s and 70´s - 4 posts
Skype Mobile - 1 posts
one for Maria - 2 posts
Long term rental need - 2 posts
Paul Krugman mentions Spain - 3 posts
UK in recession, buy in Spain instead? - 88 posts
Spanish TV Urbanisation issue - 2 posts
Brand new sat dish for sale - 0 posts
Can anyone give me a lift to Malaga airport from San Pedro ( I'll pay you!) - 0 posts
Moving down to live in spain - 1 posts
Mortgage Angel - 0 posts
power of attorney - 12 posts
anyone used Abolex Lawyers????? - 2 posts
Long Term Rental Property Required Cartagena Area - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x