Driving a spanish car on uk licence

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Dec 2008 12:00 AM by www.costadelazaharbuilders.co.nr Star rating in oliva costa blanca. 38 posts Send private message

www.costadelazaharbuilders.co.nr´s avatar

just though would let this one out as a new one on me.

A friend of mine has just been fined €400 for having a spanish car and driving on his uk lience the guardia asked if he was a resident and he replied yes then happy xmas here is your fine sir you should surrender a uk lience if you live here and drive on a spanish lience.

He has since checked this with his solicitor and found out this is correct be warned.

I thought a eu lience was an eu lience but quess not.

happy new year all

john

Like 0      
28 Dec 2008 9:14 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

We have talked about EU Licences on here before and seem to remember talk of fines for ex-pats driving in Spain once resident and not holding a Spanish Licence.

An EU Licence allows you to drive in all EU countries, but you MUST hold an EU Licence in your Country of Residence. This is something I checked out with the DVLA before we left the UK.

We are not on the Padron at the moment so we are not 'officially' resident, therefore I can drive my UK registered car on Spanish roads and not get fined as I am not doing anything illegal, as long as my car is legal in the country of registration. However once I become a legal resident I will have to re-register the car onto Spanish plates and get a Spanish Driving Licence.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
28 Dec 2008 6:04 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Apologies if this has been dicsussed before. But on a similar point, is it legal therefore to purchase a Spanish car and leave it in Spain to use on the five or six occassions that we are in Spain spending approx 5 months of the year there, so not Spanish residents and using UK issued licence?

Advice gratefully received.

Like 0      
28 Dec 2008 6:46 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Yes!

We know several people who have done so, and one occasionally drives the Spanish car back and forth between Spain and the UK.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
28 Dec 2008 7:07 PM by musicdonna Star rating in Near Huercal-Overa, .... 250 posts Send private message

Does having the padron make you a resident, or do you need to get the official residents' status?  Donna

Donna

www.learntodo.co.uk (site for artists of all levels!)

Like 0      
28 Dec 2008 11:18 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Donna, the padron is the equivalent of the local municipal census. The residency certificate is obtained from the local foreigners office or national police station. Whilst a padron certificate may suffice in some locations, for some things, you should get a residency certificate to ensure all bases are covered. Cetainly for exchanging a licence, a residency certificate should be needed.

On licences, the general consensus of opinion tends to be that any EU licence is valid anywhere in the EU and there is no longer any requirement to change your licence when becoming a resident in Spain. Nevertheless, it is also usually agreed that in order to avoid any potential problems with the fuzz, you're better off exchanging for a Spanish licence.

However, Techno is absolutely correct. If you take a look at the Tráfico website, you will find that an EU licence is valid for a period of up to six months of becoming a resident (so long as it meets the age and other requirements under Spanish law) after which it must be exchanged for a Spanish licence:

Son válidos para conducir en España los permisos expedidos en países de la Unión Europea y el Espacio Económico Europeo (Islandia, Liechtenstein y Noruega).

Condiciones para su validez:

La validez de los distintos permisos enumerados anteriormente, estará condicionada a que se hallen dentro del período de vigencia, su titular tenga la edad requerida en España para la obtención del permiso español equivalente y, además, a que no haya transcurrido el plazo de seis meses, como máximo, contados desde que sus titulares adquieran su residencia normal en España.

Transcurrido dicho plazo, los mencionados permisos carecen de validez para conducir en España, y, si sus titulares desean seguir conduciendo, deberán obtener permiso español, previa comprobación de los requisitos y superación de las pruebas correspondientes, salvo que, por existir un convenio con el país que expidió el permiso, sea posible su canje por el español equivalente.

There's a list of documentation required to exchange your licence here, which confuses the issue slightly by suggesting that exchanging your licence is voluntary, but I think the previous quoted section is the one to go by. Finally, the form to fill in can be downloaded here

Hope this all helps.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Dec 2008 10:53 AM by musicdonna Star rating in Near Huercal-Overa, .... 250 posts Send private message

Roberto, that is so very helpful.  Thank you, too, for clarifying the padron/residencia situation.  I had thought this to be the case, but was confused by one of the other posts.  Our car has already been registered in spain, but the plates were not ready for our time in the UK over Christmas.  We drive out permanently on the 17th Jan.  and will be taking out residency within the next six months or so.

On a related tack... we had heard that hiring a car in the UK can be difficult once we have our Spanish licences.  As far as you, or others, are aware, is there any truth in this?

Thank you again,  Donna

Donna

www.learntodo.co.uk (site for artists of all levels!)

Like 0      
29 Dec 2008 4:47 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Another myth, I believe. I think you will know when hiring a car in the UK is difficult with a non-UK licence - the hire car desks at the airports will disappear!

I have hired cars in the UK and other countries, with my Spanish licence, and it's never even so much as raised an eyebrow or arroused any curiosity. No reason why it should. (Apart, maybe, from the rather gawky photo of me!)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Dec 2008 4:50 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Rob, you know I never argue your (top quality) posts but I will today

Looking at that Traffico page, the section "Condiciones para su validez" seems only to apply to the 4 bullet points listed about it, and not the general statement of "
Son válidos para conducir en España los permisos expedidos en países de la Unión Europea y el Espacio Económico Europeo (Islandia, Liechtenstein y Noruega)."

I say this because the paragraph you highlighted specifically referes to the aforemention points "La validez de los distintos permisos enumerados anteriormente" which translates as "The validity of the different licences numbered earlier...."

I don't think you actually have to change your licence, even if you become resident.  I'm hoping that this is the case as I still have my UK licence .

I'm sure this was a recent change in the law, maybe in the last 12 months.

Perhaps Maria can shed some more light on this.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
30 Dec 2008 5:07 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

No argument at all, Justin! I'm always happy to be corrected.

I  must admit, I was also under the impression that EU licences were valid, but because of the post by John below, decided to check on the dgt website for clues. I admit I read that section a little too hastily, and now see that you are quite correct, and I should have quoted the section in its entirety. The "conditions for validity" do in fact refer to the exceptions listed, i.e. not to EU licences.

The fact remains, however, that John's story is not an isolated one. Unfortunately, it seems the Guardia are a law unto themselves on things such as this, and trying to argue the case by the roadside is less than futile. Which is why, whatever the law really is, I always recommend exchanging your licence if you intend to become a full-time resident, in order to avoid any such problems. Just out of interest, any particular reason for not changing yours? (and do you carry a valid medical certificate with it?)

This message was last edited by Roberto on 12/30/2008.

This message was last edited by Roberto on 12/30/2008.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Dec 2008 5:09 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I know this is an "EU" thing but (and I recall posting about this some time ago) as a UK driving licence holder (at least) when you move address, you have to advise the DVLC (or whatever it is known as now) that you have changed address.  When we were in Singapore we were advised (after applying for a new licence issue from Singapore) that we could not hold our licence if we were not resident in the UK.  Has that changed?

Maybe, whatever EU country you are in, you have to have a EU licence issued from the country you are resident in?  Would that not be feasible?

Edited to say:  After all, your licence should have your current address on and,if you live in Spain, why would you be issued with a UK licence?  Each EU country obviously has its own issuing authority.

This message was last edited by Pitby on 12/30/2008.

Like 0      
30 Dec 2008 5:40 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The debate rages on!

Found this on the Directgov website:

You must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of any changes to your name, address or both. You can update your driving licence online or send it to DVLA for amendment. A new licence will be issued free of charge unless your photograph’s due for renewal.

Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence.

It is apparently possible to "register" your UK licence with Tráfico, but I've heard of people trying this, only to be told there's no need to!

I think it's all another fine example of the mess that Brussels constantly conjures up. Things were much easier before Spain actually started obeying the rules handed down by the EU; you simply had to play by their own rules. And that meant, get a Spanish licence. Personally, I still feel that is the only sensible choice.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Dec 2008 5:44 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

"Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence."

You're welcome!! 

(Sorry, just having a laugh!!)

Like 0      
30 Dec 2008 6:15 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Not sure I get the joke. Is it that Dubai doesn't even have a licencing authority? (and if it does, is it even possible for the fairer sex to register a driving licence?)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Dec 2008 6:24 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Sorry, Roberto!  Didn't mean to offend in any way!  Just that I recall mentioning this maybe a year or more ago, on another thread, about not being able to hold a UK licence when living in another country.

In fact, here, as long as we wear black balaclavas and hijabs on top, topped again with the usual abaya, we can actually hold a licence here - although checks aren't really effective when stopped for speeding if dressed in full garb!!  Not that that actually happens alot - being stopped for speeding!!!

Like 0      
30 Dec 2008 6:49 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I can't remember what I posted yesterday, let alone a year ago!

You don't get stopped for speeding often, because you'd be in Abu Dhabi before they catch you?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Dec 2008 6:59 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

No, we go the other way now, Rob - heading for the northern emirates!!  Better golf courses there!!  The only thing you have to watch out for when speeding are the camels coming towards you on the four lane highway!!!

And why is it "your" head shakes faster in Firefox!!  strange!!  Does Firefox have a higher limit on the "no, no, no" speed????        (sorry, anything makes me laugh!!)

Like 0      
17 Feb 2009 8:01 PM by pdunstan Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Silly question but is it just a matter of paperwork to convert a UK to Spanish license or do you actually have to take a driving test in Spain also.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2009 8:29 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Just paperwork

Mind you, that can be pretty testing at times here!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Feb 2009 3:07 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Hello John.  The fact that your friend was fined for driving as a resident with his uk european licence. I presume it is the new licence, laminated with the EU symbol. This is totally wrong and I will stand up to any guardia civil that tells me that this is correct. If he wants to claim his fine back please contact me. Mrs very angry ,yet again at the authorities making up the rules as they go along.

myra cecilia.

Myra Cecilia. www.costaadvicebureau.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Berth For Sale Fuengirola Port - 0 posts
licence entitlement for goods vehicles - 2 posts
working partner wanted finca work - 2 posts
Looking for property to rent from 7/1/09 to 21/1/09 Manilva/duquesa area if possible - 2 posts
Fiat Doblo for sale - 0 posts
Shooting Star in Orion Constellation 22nd December - 1 posts
Hi from Lanzarote. - 3 posts
cant wait to relocate to spain - bitten by the bug - 12 posts
BARGAIN!!! Peugeot 206 XTD 1.9, Blue/Turquiose - 3 posts
CHRISTMAS OPENING TIMES - 0 posts
CHRISTMAS OPENING TIMES - 0 posts
Bad experience renting or buying a property in the Duquesa area? - 0 posts
The Protest against Threats to Property - 45 posts
The Phone House La Cañada - 2 posts
Buying Spanish Cars - 1 posts
Christmas lottery, do not miss the San Ildefondo children singing tomorrow - 3 posts
1 week to go - 0 posts
School in Scotland: Let´s do one like this in South Spain and do exchanges ! - 14 posts
Sterling accounts in Spanish banks - 7 posts
Christmas Day Dinner Cañadas del Romero Mazarron - 0 posts
Seasons Greetings/ Felicidades Navidad - 21 posts
Ford Transit Diesel For Sale - 0 posts
"parking sign" tax - 0 posts
BravaChat Podcast Number Six - 0 posts
Web camera - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 63

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x