Driving a spanish car on uk licence

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jan 2012 8:07 AM by celtic Star rating. 103 posts Send private message

I have an old style paper licence and have used hire cars and borrowed cars, am I driving illegally without an international permit? have never been asked for one. Not even when involved in an accident while driving my brothers car.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2012 1:52 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi you are advised to have one and your licence  is translated , it did not cost much and only takes 5 mins to get it just take a passport with you for ID just saves any problems  Irene

Like 0      
02 Feb 2012 8:04 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Well, with all the differing answers and comments on here, I consulted a solicitor and received the following:

Non resident EU citizens can drive freely in Spain using their European license for a period of six non-consecutive months in any given year without any further procedure.  After the maximum six months period they will have to register their driving license at the corresponding Traffic Authority.   

Residents can continue driving with their registered European license until it expires.  (my bold)

Close to the expiry day there are two different possibilities regarding how to proceed.  They can apply for a Spanish driving license at their nearest Jefatura Local de Traffico  or it is possible to renew their European license by presenting it at the Embassy or Consulate.  (Again, my bold).

Anyone tried the last bit? Especially as you wouldn't have a UK address?

It also says that non EU residents must apply for a Spanish driving license within one year of taking out residency.  Anyone from outside the EEA must take another driving test.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2012 8:22 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

After the six month period they will probably no longer be non-resident, at least not officially, so the first bit is a little redundant anyway. The second bit is clearly rubbish, as you cannot renew a UK licence without a UK address, and secondly I am absolutely certain that driving licence renewals are not part of an embassy's or consulate's remit. You can't even renew a passport through one anymore. Hope you didn't pay the solicitor for that info!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Feb 2012 8:41 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Pay them?  No chance.  It's all contained in a little booklet  they sent me free of charge.  It's also the booklet they send to everyone.  Agreed, the last lot is rubbish.  However, it was the driving on a UK license until it expires that intrigued me.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2012 8:51 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

My understanding is that a valid photo licence issued in the UK is theoretically acceptable as long as you also comply with the medical requirements of a Spanish licence holder.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Feb 2012 8:57 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Ah, you see, they missed that bit out.  They simply say you only have to change when it comes up to expiry.  They do say you need a medical when getting a Spanish license but nothing about a medical when you continue to drive on your UK license.  So if even the lawyers seem to be getting it wrong, what chance do the rest of us have?

Like 0      
02 Feb 2012 9:13 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

None. If you're resident in Spain and expect to be for a while to come, get a Spanish licence. Saves a lot of ambiguity and potential trouble. It's easy enough to get a UK one again if you ever go back.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 Feb 2012 3:49 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If you are a resident and approaching 70 and still rely on a UK DL then remember, that you cannot renew it in UK as you do not live there (To say you do would be a criminal offence).

Once te UK DL has expired you cannot exchange it for a Spanish DL , as to do so you must have a VALID DL. 

You will then be left with having to take a Spanish driving test to get a licence.

Like 1      
14 Aug 2016 12:33 AM by janmet Star rating in UK. 185 posts Send private message

We are non resident but have an apartment in Spain. We visit Spain about six times a year the longest visit being around. 24days. We own a Spanish registered car. We have an NIE number and pay La Renta. We are from the UK and therefore hold a UK driving license. We have been stopped by the Police and told we have to get a Spanish driving license. Can anyone tell me if this is true?. When I try to research this it mostly refers to Residents and I am having difficulty finding a legal document which I could carry with me which relates to the fact that although I have an NIE number I am not resident therefore my UK driving license is valid as a visitor. Can anyone help? 

Like 0      
14 Aug 2016 8:17 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

This was an answer given earlier which I believe to be correct.

"Non resident EU citizens can drive freely in Spain using their European license for a period of six non-consecutive months in any given year without any further procedure.  After the maximum six months period they will have to register their driving license at the corresponding Traffic Authority."

Presuming you have do not stay in Spain for over 183 days in total  in a year you are not resident therefore will not need to change your licence.

You say you have been stopped by the police, I assume that you have been stopped once? Maybe the officer has mis-interpreted the law.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2016 9:23 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This has been covered several times.

For people visiting as you Janmet, or holidaymakers renting a car, there is no problem,  they can drive on a UK DL.  Remember you must always have the original DL and your original Passport (that is your only legal ID)   with you when driving.

Some while ago when this was being discussed here I went to the Guardia Civil to ask. I did not agree with what the officer on the desk said, so he called Trafico and put me on the phone. They said a person visiting could drive a Spanish Reg car.

Jarvi.  I think it has been established that a UK national,  resident in Spain,  can drive on a UK  DL which is marked as an ‘EU licence,’   they do not need to exchange it for a Spanish one.  When  a new law on the validity of non Spanish DLs  came into effect there was an error in the interpretation which caused confusion, but was put right quickly.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 14/08/2016.

Like 0      
18 Aug 2016 10:18 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Any official document that has your photo such as a DL can be accepted as an official ID

I have used at least 4 different ID cards when using a card for payment 

Also my DL has been accepted at least twice when I have been randomly stopped by GC in my car they never asked for my passport

Again nothing is as black and white as some state on here 

Like 1      
19 Aug 2016 11:12 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

It is possible that some places/people accept your driving license as a form of identification because it has a photo, more likely if you are driving but it is important to remember that the ONLY official ID in Spain for a Brit is your passport. However I have mostly managed to get by with my DL unless it is for something very official, ie opening a bank account, notary etc. There is no need anymore for ID with card payments. So if you don't want to run any risks keep your passport on you. The police have a right to ask for it, if they don't you can consider them 'flexible' not necessarily law abiding. So it depends.

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
19 Aug 2016 11:30 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Some places still request ID when paying by card this happened to me this week on a large purchase

Like 0      
19 Aug 2016 11:44 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Depends where you go. Our Lidl had a sign saying passport only would be accepted for ID and refused one woman with a DL. Most other shops accept a DL but the banks insist on a passport. Still, back to the question on changing the DL as a non resident. Either a mistake in translation or a policeman who didn't know what he was talking about. As you aren't allowed to have two EU DL then what would you be supposed to do going back to UK?

Silly.

Like 0      
19 Aug 2016 12:27 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"I am having difficulty finding a legal document which I could carry with me which relates to the fact that although I have an NIE number I am not resident "

Do you have an NIE certificate? If not, go back to the police station or wherever you applied for your NIE and request one. You may need to fill out the form again, and in section 4 check "Certificado" and "de no residente

English version of form here

"Any official document that has your photo such as a DL can be accepted as an official ID" 

Should read "may be accepted". But don't count on it. As Ian says, "the ONLY official ID in Spain for a Brit is your passport"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Aug 2016 1:35 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Janmet.        ............I am having difficulty finding a legal document which I could carry with me which relates to the fact that although I have an NIE number I am not resident .......

I believe the police can check on the spot if the NIE which you have relates to resident or non resident status.  If that is so then you do not need to carry a document which proves your status.

Next week when I am next at the comisaria (National Police Station) I will ask and post what I learn.

Like 0      
19 Aug 2016 1:44 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I'm sure the police can do a lot of things that they are either are unaware of or simply can't be bothered to. Telling them their jobs when stopped at the roadside is never likely to produce particularly positive results. Politely handing over relevant documentation that is indisputable is probably a better approach.

Just my humble opinion wink

Mark Twain

Like 1      
23 Aug 2016 10:32 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Janmet.  

I have spoken to the police as I said I would.   They confirm when they make an on the spot check on the NIE of the driver and or owner of a vehicle they can see if that person is registered on the EU Citizens Register (i.e if they are resident or not).

They also confirmed:   The legal ID for a UK national is their orignal passport, although  usually (as we all know) depending on the circumstances,  they will said they would accept say a DL, which of course anyway you must have in your possession when driving

As for non official situations,  almost anything might be accepted as ID as often the poeple we are dealing with, unlike the police,courts, notaries, banks etc.,  have no idea.on the subject

This message was last edited by johnzx on 23/08/2016.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Berth For Sale Fuengirola Port - 0 posts
licence entitlement for goods vehicles - 2 posts
working partner wanted finca work - 2 posts
Looking for property to rent from 7/1/09 to 21/1/09 Manilva/duquesa area if possible - 2 posts
Fiat Doblo for sale - 0 posts
Shooting Star in Orion Constellation 22nd December - 1 posts
Hi from Lanzarote. - 3 posts
cant wait to relocate to spain - bitten by the bug - 12 posts
BARGAIN!!! Peugeot 206 XTD 1.9, Blue/Turquiose - 3 posts
CHRISTMAS OPENING TIMES - 0 posts
CHRISTMAS OPENING TIMES - 0 posts
Bad experience renting or buying a property in the Duquesa area? - 0 posts
The Protest against Threats to Property - 45 posts
The Phone House La Cañada - 2 posts
Buying Spanish Cars - 1 posts
Christmas lottery, do not miss the San Ildefondo children singing tomorrow - 3 posts
1 week to go - 0 posts
School in Scotland: Let´s do one like this in South Spain and do exchanges ! - 14 posts
Sterling accounts in Spanish banks - 7 posts
Christmas Day Dinner Cañadas del Romero Mazarron - 0 posts
Seasons Greetings/ Felicidades Navidad - 21 posts
Ford Transit Diesel For Sale - 0 posts
"parking sign" tax - 0 posts
BravaChat Podcast Number Six - 0 posts
Web camera - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 63

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x