Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Here, in the darkest depths of leafy Surrey, we have awoken to snow.

Yup, we got it, it's getting thicker now and things are looking pretty............chilly!

Last night the wind was so cold, your breath froze as you spoke.

This morning is not much warmer!

Bet you lot in Spain are soooooooo jealous eh?!!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
23 Nov 2008 10:27 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

The SUN is SHINING.........oh Happy days!!!

We have dishes and lots of wires but no connections yet.............ALL IN THE SUN.     

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
23 Nov 2008 10:31 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

When we bought our house in Leeds 8 years ago, there was snow all around. Great, I love it . We have hardly seen any since, I thihk the seller must have had the artificial stuff to convince us .

Mark

Like 0      
23 Nov 2008 11:02 AM by Jet48 Star rating in Estepona / Great Yar.... 106 posts Send private message

Jet48´s avatar

Well here in Norfolk we to have plenty of snow and its chilly with it. Just been looking at the Manilva web cam to see what were missing - ouch! .We should have strolling round the market there today  as we were booked to come over. Due to my better half being poorly we've had to postpone for 10 days,still we have something to look forward to.

Bob

This message was last edited by Jet48 on 11/23/2008.

Like 0      
23 Nov 2008 11:50 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Bob

Snap!

We were due to fly today, but my better half is poorly too.

We have re-booked for next Saturday.

At least we have TV here in the UK, who needs the sun?!!!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
23 Nov 2008 12:00 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

FIBBY..........................jealous ?

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
23 Nov 2008 12:04 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Moi?  Jealous?

Nah, it's pouring with rain here now............................ so maybe the sun will be out next?

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
23 Nov 2008 2:09 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Glorious sun here in the Shires this a.m. after   early rain. It's now clouding over nicely with what look like snow clouds.

It's windy too  and very cold. The lawn and pond are covered with leaves.............again!!

Still, only another four weeks and we will be back in Spain. For almost a month this time......... I can't wait.

Like 0      
23 Nov 2008 6:59 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Got back this morning from Sunny Spain.  After a week of soaking up the sun (it rained Thursday but, apart from that, glorious) it was a bit of a shock at East Midlands to find a bitterly cold, biting wind and snow on the ground (not much but still had to warm the car up for over 10 minutes to get the ice and snow off).  On the plus side, I bet the guy who got off the plane behind me in T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops felt a bit stupid!

Anyhoo, stayed in my new house for only the second time.  Lovely having some bits of furniture in and a carpet on the floor.  Still a bit echoey as we have no pictures on the walls, very little furniture (taking it all with us next year from UK) but is starting to feel like home.  Met some lovely people in our area and really starting to look forward to going again (coming off the plane, both SWMBO and I said can we turn round and go back?).

The point I found this time is how expensive everything seems to be getting in Spain.  I know the pound is crashing on a daily basis, but even in euros the costs appear to be going way up.  We do stick to the local produce as much as we can but we found that rises in cheese, meats, butter, bread, eggs etc have gone way up.  Of course, electricity is getting expensive everywhere but it looks like I've had a 50% increase in mine compared to last year when looking at the bills.  Furniture, clothes and virtually everything seems way up in price.  For example, we recently bought a Tefal frying pan in UK and whinged at the price of £8.  The same type in both shops and markets in Spain was around 21 to 23 euros.  Now, the pound has surely not slipped that far down the scale?  We were looking for a cheap bedside table from one of the Brico houses, the type you put together yourself.  Price in B&Q was £23, the average price in Brico House, Aki, Ardy and the like was between 60 and 85 euros.  On the plus side, eating out is still relatively cheap (even with the exchange rate) but we did limit our going out to bars as the price of beer and wine seems a little extortionate.  A glass of red wine in a small Spanish bar in San Miguel was 50 cents.  At the pub near my new house they are charging 1.50 and beer has just gone up to 2.75. I may have to change to spirits as I can usually get 3 or 4 drinks out of the Spanish measures, another plus.

And why is so difficult to get simple things done in Spain?  We have not yet had aircon/heating installed in the house and just have a couple of convector heaters.  We saw those gas fires on sale and went to get one but none of the vendors of these things sell the gas bottles.  "You can get them everywhere," we were told.  Fine, but only if you exchange an old bottle.  You have to get a licence.

"Where from?" we asked.  None of the shops flogging the gas seemed to know. "Maybe the Cepsa office" one of them said, but no-one seemed to know where the Cepsa office was.  So why do you need a licence?  Apparently you're supposed to show the equipment and connectors are fit for use.  As people are buying new items and using old gas licences this seems to negate that idea otherwise you'd have to take the new on to get checked out.  All those we spoke to said the gas bottle was in the house when they bought it so there was no problem for them.  End result?  We carried on using the convector heater.

My bank card wouldn't work in the cash machines.  I was issued a new one just before leaving UK and it wouldn't play.  I did get some out on a credit card but, as this is a very expensive way to do it, I had sterling with me and went to a bank to change it.  They weren't too happy as I didn't have an account with them so I had to find a branch of one I do have an account with.  They still wanted my passport and would only change a maximum of £250 with all the charges that come with this type of transaction (I got 285 euros for that which nearly broke my heart). 

Still, the weather was great, the people were great, the house was great so no real complaints.  Just one question: Why are there so many roundabouts in the towns when no-one knows how to use them?"  I must have seen at least 10 near misses with people coming on too soon (please let me get off the roundabout before you enter!) changing lanes before exiting (you know those things attached to the side of the car?  They're called mirrors.  Please use them before changing lanes).  And, no, it's not the Spanish I'm complaining about.  Most of these incidents involved plainly expats of many nationalities.    I know roundabouts are unheard of in Germany and most other European countries but its no excuse for the British!

That's it.  Still trying to warm my feet up even though the heating has been on full blast all day.  My tootsies are turning blue but at least I had shoes and socks on. 

Oh, and well done, Ryanair.  You may fly at silly o'clock (6 am outbound from Alicante) but both ways left and arrived on time.  The flight crew coming back (all Spanish) were really helpful and a seemd to take pleasure in their jobs.  At £71 return for two it was fine.

Like 0      
23 Nov 2008 8:06 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Welcome back Bob, lovely weather hopefully it will not last to long.     We went for a few weeks I did not find things had gone up in the village, we still paid a euro for beer I do not drink wine but I normally buy a bottle for Roy and that was only a euro, I still found our money went further than in UK.    But you are right about the electricity that has gone up but the same everywhere I suppose.       Look at the thread Gas bottle wanted that might help you.     I do not know if Georgia actually got one.     I have always thought furniture was expensive in Spain, we are still looking for some light fittings  and they seem really expensive .    Well take care Pat 

Like 0      
24 Nov 2008 7:51 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Welcome home Bobaol

Sounds like you had a good time despite a few set backs, nice to be back in chilly Blighty tho..........not!

Have to ask, what does SWMBO mean?

Have tried all permutations, most of them unprintable on EOS!!!!

Cold but dry and bright in leafy Surrey today, and yes, the sun DID come out yesterday!

What a variety of weather in one day!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
24 Nov 2008 8:24 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hey Fibs,

I thought you would have known this one, what we all are...........

She who must be obeyed

Like 0      
24 Nov 2008 8:44 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Dohhhhhhh!

Never heard it in my house.

here it's HWMBO..........LOL!!!!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
24 Nov 2008 8:48 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Yeah right Fibs

I can see that pig flying over your house from here

Like 0      
24 Nov 2008 8:50 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Nah, that was the police helicopter                    

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

MAINS WATER SUPPLY - 1 posts
Long term rental required - Costa Blanca - 1 posts
Roda Golf - Cancelling Contract - 1 posts
Best Banks for Deposits - 6 posts
Sending pallets to Condado de Alhama - 2 posts
Subject: Be Alert & Cautious / Must read!! - 10 posts
November 30th we are off ... Adios UK! - 48 posts
Problems paying your mortgage? - 7 posts
Ryanair £0 Edinburgh to Alicante - 0 posts
La Raset C/Bellavista Denia - 0 posts
Xmas is coming, anyone have any dates for what is happening in costa blanca, post here - 0 posts
Renault Express Combi For Sale... - 2 posts
Don’t let them fool you… Yet again! ... The case of “Costaluzlawyers DOT COM” - 1 posts
House insurance - 0 posts
wealth tax on property only owed for six months - 1 posts
Estate agents - 5 posts
Monte Cala, Costa Blanca Propery - 0 posts
La Caixa Mortgage Problems - 20 posts
Pueblos Abandonados - 2 posts
Watch out, watch out, the Control is about - 0 posts
Reporting lawyer to colegio de abogados? - 10 posts
Voting rights of the developer? - 6 posts
New fee to be levied by car hire companies - 2 posts
Lollypup - 4 posts
Poems to have Flu by.................For Maria - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x