Subject: Be Alert & Cautious / Must read!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by www.costadelazaharbuilders.co.nr Star rating in oliva costa blanca. 38 posts Send private message

www.costadelazaharbuilders.co.nr´s avatar

A man came over and offered his services as a painter to a female who was putting gas in her car and left his card. She said no, but accepted his card out of kindness and got in the car. The man then got into a car driven by another gentleman. As the lady left the service station, she saw the men following her out of the station at the same time. Almost immediately, she started to feel dizzy and could not catch her breath. She tried to open the window and realized that the odor was on her hand; the same hand which accepted the card from the gentleman at the gas station.

She then noticed the men were immediately behind her and she felt she needed to do something at that moment. She drove into the first driveway and began to honk her horn repeatedly to ask for help. The men drove away but the lady still felt pretty bad for several minutes after she could finally catch her breath.

Apparently, there was a substance on the card that could have seriously injured her.

This drug is called 'BURUNDANGA' and it is used by people who wish to incapacitate a victim in order to steal from or take advantage of them like REPEATED GANG RAPE. This drug is four times more dangerous than the date rape drug and is transferable on simple cards.

So take heed and make sure you don't accept cards at any given time alone or from someone on the streets. This applies to those making house calls and slipping you a card when they offer their services.

I have just been warned about this buy a police local officer who is friends with me and my wife as she often closes the bar at night buy herself.

Like 0      
22 Nov 2008 1:18 PM by dunmovin Star rating in gorga, alicante. 28 posts Send private message

the same story, almost word for word, appears on the snopes  websites  The variation is that it was supposed to have happened in the USA

Like 0      
22 Nov 2008 2:00 PM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar

Those interested in this story should refer to Snopes.com as they suggest that the drug cannot be passed by card this way, and it has no odour.

Daveil

Like 0      
22 Nov 2008 3:06 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

If you Google this drug, then you will find it is Scopolamine and it CAN be passed on in this fashion!

Have a look here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopolamine

and here: www.corpus-delicti.com/smp/Pittel_Burundanga.html

Don't forget that Scopolamine was used during WWII as a truth serum, even though the results were sometimes inaccurate, it would certainly cause these sort of symptoms.

So I for one will keep this in the back of my mind!

With regards to Snopes, Urban Legends and Hoax-Slayer - Hmm! I never bother going anywhere near them as the topics are usually either scare-mongering or just widely inaccurate and are based on very little fact, or indeed no facts at all!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
22 Nov 2008 3:20 PM by dunmovin Star rating in gorga, alicante. 28 posts Send private message

I would tend to believe snopes  plus the several other sites that  say this is a hoax. However, you must admit it is a  good way fro the original poster to get his website advertised on the board.... with the web addy shown 3 times on the post, which has now been viewed 101 times

Like 0      
22 Nov 2008 3:20 PM by dunmovin Star rating in gorga, alicante. 28 posts Send private message

I would tend to believe snopes  plus the several other sites that  say this is a hoax. However, you must admit it is a  good way fro the original poster to get his website advertised on the board.... with the web addy shown 3 times on the post, which has now been viewed 101 times

Like 0      
22 Nov 2008 4:38 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Dunmovin, I think you'll see, if you search the forums, that www.costadelazaharbuilders has posted alot of useful information for EOS members.  And, from what I've googled, this is a real threat, even if not in the same format as the incident posted and maybe even not in Spain.  But even if it is not happening in Spain, or at all, doesn't mean it was only posted to generate interest in the poster''s business.  I'm sure you're assessment was innocent enough, but maybe it's best to search the forum next time before commenting on another member's intentions.

I for one find this alert most definitely interesting - and I always search out these sort of alerts independently.  Everyone is able to do their own research on any info posted, as did TechnoApe.  Once researched, you can make your own decisions as to factuality or otherwise.

Like 0      
22 Nov 2008 6:08 PM by dunmovin Star rating in gorga, alicante. 28 posts Send private message

Thank you Pitby. The fact remains that the post is direct copy from a website namely snopes, or more correctly from hoax-slayer, where even the words in caps are EXACTLY the same

This message was last edited by dunmovin on 11/22/2008.

Like 0      
23 Nov 2008 6:38 AM by whistler Star rating. 76 posts Send private message

Another Urban Legend but........................ I felt a bit dizzy when I left the pub a few nights ago and just put it down to the beer.......now i am not so sure...

I don't seem to have been interfered though...Hmmmmm

Like 0      
23 Nov 2008 6:05 PM by headless Star rating in Gandia. 40 posts Send private message

headless´s avatar

Not very creative SPAM. The shrill headline followed by an urban myth (really, he'd do well writing for the Daily Mail)....and then to cap it all adding the police advice he received. So, if it's just a cut and paste from another source, then did his friendly policeman warn him before this, or was the warning before he researched...and then cut and pasted his results? SPAM-FAIL

Like 0      
23 Nov 2008 6:25 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Sorry but more scare-mongering.  A couple of years ago, the talk was all about people being gassed in their beds by burglars.  It seemed everyone knew someone (a friends aunties cousin or some such) to whom it had happened.  On investigation, it was found that this had never happened and, like other rumours, names and places had simply been changed,  For example, someone posted that this had happened in Ontario, Canada.  Within a few months, the exact same story appeared on message boards claiming that it happened on the costas in Spain.  Word for word as posted in Canada except that Ontario had changed to Alicante, Malaga or Torremolinos.  Even one of the "famous" Trevor Macdonut exposees about life on the Costas reported this (on national TV) and then had to retract the story after it had been investigated (in tiny print in British newspapers).  Why they couldn't have investigated it BEFORE the TV show, I don't know.

Treat them all with a healthy dose of scepticism, except the ones about feeling dizzy and nauseous after a night in the pub.  The spirit measures used in Spain are rather higher than UK (and that must be the understatement of the year).

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

November 30th we are off ... Adios UK! - 48 posts
Problems paying your mortgage? - 7 posts
Ryanair £0 Edinburgh to Alicante - 0 posts
La Raset C/Bellavista Denia - 0 posts
Xmas is coming, anyone have any dates for what is happening in costa blanca, post here - 0 posts
Renault Express Combi For Sale... - 2 posts
Don’t let them fool you… Yet again! ... The case of “Costaluzlawyers DOT COM” - 1 posts
House insurance - 0 posts
wealth tax on property only owed for six months - 1 posts
Estate agents - 5 posts
Monte Cala, Costa Blanca Propery - 0 posts
La Caixa Mortgage Problems - 20 posts
Pueblos Abandonados - 2 posts
Watch out, watch out, the Control is about - 0 posts
Reporting lawyer to colegio de abogados? - 10 posts
Voting rights of the developer? - 6 posts
New fee to be levied by car hire companies - 2 posts
Lollypup - 4 posts
Poems to have Flu by.................For Maria - 3 posts
Roquefort Sauce - 10 posts
Can an autonimo recieve social security? - 7 posts
Hi I'm Baxter - 0 posts
Legal English language Television in Spain - 0 posts
Getting on the internet - 2 posts
Arcos and Sunset Boys Tim and Duncan - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x