New Year's Eve in Manilva

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,

My husband and myself will be in Manilva for New Year's Eve. We don't know the area. We will like to know if there are  nice restaurants that organise something for New Year's Eve e.g cotillones, parties or just a nice meal. We will also like to meet people there and go for a drink that night? I know this is a night to spend with family but we will be on our own and it would be nice to go for a drink and start making friends.

Any suggestions?

Ana

Ana Sánchez. PGCE, MA & BA(Hons)

Teaching and Translation Services

Like 0      
10 Nov 2008 3:53 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I think some places do arrange stuff  for New Year's eve.  Try having a look on Manilva Life, there is usually information on there about what's on in the area.

If you get really stuck you could both come round to ours....we're always in on New Year's Eve!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
10 Nov 2008 5:53 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Thank you Justin. I will have a look at Manilva Life. Don't worry about us, we will be fine as long as we find a restaurant for that night. We will pop in before or after New Year to say hello.

Ana

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 10:54 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Cool!

Big Party at Justins pad on New Year's Eve it is then!!! Only Joking!

We are going to be in the same boat as we won't have family out there at that time, however we have made loads of friends and they have invited us out with them.

I seem to remember that it will start (or end) in the Penguin Bar in Sabinillas. Well in fact it will start at our house and we will walk down the hill into Duquesa, as I will probably have a drink (or two) before we go out and a quick bite to eat (nibbles).

So if you and David would like some company that night, then come out with us and we'll introduce you to all our friends. Also, Justin and family, plus anyone else who we know on here that is out at that time of year! The more the merrier (hic, hic) oo-er and I haven't even had a drop yet!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 5:18 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

We'll be staying in with the kids but will definitely meet up around that time.

See you soon.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 7:29 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Technoape,

Is the Penguin bar on sea front? What time are you meeting? Definitely we will be there!

Thanks

Ana

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 7:39 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi TechNoApe,

Thanks for the kind offer.  Me and Ana (Nati) will definitely be up for meeting up at New Year.

Cheers

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 7:49 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Hi David and Ana (Sanchez1 and Nati),

Caz and I are looking forward to our 1st New Year in Spain and I'm sure all of us will have a good laugh with our new friends.

What a great way to start a new life, than in just a few days or few weeks of getting to Spain, we will see in the New Year (and say good riddance to the old one)!

Technoape (Col & Caz)

PS. This 'nickname' stuff is getting out of hand - LOL

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 8:02 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi Col, Caz

I think this will be our 8th New Year in Spain.  We usually spend Xmas and New Year up at Ana's parents' place in Jaen.  It's definitely a lot different spending New Year in Spain.   Late start - late finish and then churros and chocolate for breakfast before heading to bed at 7.00am!!  I might be getting too old for 7.00am finishes now though!

I'm looking forward to it.

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 9:20 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

David

You have forgot to tell them to wear their red underware, the tradition in Spain, then you burn them next day.

Hope you all have a good night and just wish we could be there.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 12:34 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar

Is there anything around Estepona at New Year as we are also coming out and Manilva is a little far out.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 1:39 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Cool.  If someone can take a photo of everyone burning their red underwear it would be great for the forum

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 1:46 PM by sunnyside Star rating in UK/Duquesa. 95 posts Send private message

sunnyside´s avatar

We are having our first New Year in Spain too.  Would love to meet up with you all later. Eating at Bistro Red first.

Is the Penquin Bar not in the Port or am I getting it mixed up with another place?

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 2:22 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

You could be right there Sunnyside .

As I must admit I wasn't really paying full attention to what was being said at the time, as I was thinking about loads of other things!

And might have had a beer or two before ... ahem!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 2:29 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Penquin Bar is in the port ...just off the front near on the road where the bank is situated.  I am doing a recce in Nov to see where to go new year , but if all else fails , Justin, we will be around your's for some light refreshment.  I have looked at a few places but must check out Bistro Red as I can walk there and have a drink.

Regards

John

Like 0      
13 Nov 2008 8:16 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

We generally come out for New Year (with 14&20 yr old boys) last year we went into Estepona-dont be surprised if it seems dead as everyone comes out of their houses into the square at about 11.40pm! Great night there, fireworks , grapes etc and then headed back into Duquesa Port for the "english" new year-sometimes the time difference can help!

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
14 Nov 2008 9:03 PM by mark_thompson Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

A few years back we went out on new years eve in Alora......found 1 bar open! Now make out own fun to see in the new year

Like 0      
16 Nov 2008 9:00 PM by carolinej Star rating. 420 posts Send private message

carolinej´s avatar

What's with the underwear burning Maureen?!

Like 0      
17 Nov 2008 11:40 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I've heard of the red underwear that you eat! (ahem!)

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 11/17/2008.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
17 Nov 2008 12:46 PM by sunnyside Star rating in UK/Duquesa. 95 posts Send private message

sunnyside´s avatar

Found this re New Year's Eve traditions in Spain:-

Tradition states that wearing red underwear brings good luck for the year as long as it’s been bought for you by someone else.  Don't know were the burning comes in though!!!!

Also in Spain once Spaniards have had dinner with their family or friends, they start preparing for midnight, making sure that they have twelve grapes each, as well as a glass of Cava to welcome in the New Year. When the clock strikes midnight it is customary to eat one grape per chime while trying to follow the rhythm and not to laugh too much.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Photos - 0 posts
Credit crunch can only be a good thing for buyers! - 3 posts
Booking Golf - 3 posts
Moving out there!! - 11 posts
A new edition to the family. - 8 posts
Los Balconces,Santiago de la Ribera - 2 posts
New to this - Conado de Alhama apartment! - 8 posts
cabosol cabo roig - 17 posts
Property Management For Playa Golf, Orihuela Costa - 2 posts
motor bike for sale - 11 posts
school in the orihuela costa area? - 6 posts
up to date detials about applying for an NIE number please? - 6 posts
Spare A Thought - 3 posts
Lock up your bikes!!!!! - 0 posts
hi - 3 posts
Insurance - 1 posts
Lloyds TSB - 5 posts
Man (or woman!) with Van Wanted... - 6 posts
Robbed while driving from Bilbao - 4 posts
Will it make a difference???? - 13 posts
closed doors on local police stations. - 2 posts
Wher have all the Smileys gone??? - 13 posts
Selling car on Costa Del Sol - 3 posts
Big THANK YOU to Justin and EOS - 4 posts
Developers responsibility for defects - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 20

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x