Will it make a difference????

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Well,

Big news yesterday with the interest rate cut by 1.5%!!!  Will it have an impact? Too soon to tell yet, but will keep you posted. But, I have to say, in the last week or so there has definitely been increased activity in the market. Getting more viewings in so hopefully it might get a bit better. The rental market is very busy still, very busy with that side. So hopefully you guys that are selling to move to warmer climes might be interested in this. Anyone need any advice or tips let me know, happy to help

Like 0      
07 Nov 2008 11:25 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

Great to hear Candyfloss, maybe we will sell our house now and then its vivo Espana

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 1:36 AM by lovekiwis Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Good luck Acapulco,& thanks Candyfloss. Selfish little old me is more worried whether it will help the GB state pension spread out a wee bit further again....not holding my breath,i admit (can't anyway-i'm asthmatic!)

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 9:37 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

It's going to be interesting to see what happens.  That's one huge rate cut!

Well, I suppose things couldn't get any worse....could they?

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 11:22 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

This is the news I have been waiting for with baited breath!

As most of you know, we are moving to Spain at the end of this month, so this news is very welcome as we still own our British House.

Had thought that they way things were going that we would have to rent the property for six months to a year before selling it, however I have been keeping an eye on the House Price deprecation figures for month on month, and it would appear to me that things are now stabilising.

I know that there has been a drop of almost 15% across the board on House Prices right across the nation in the year to date from last October, however for the last 4 months in a row the month on month depreciation has dropped and looks set to be the same this month, possibly due to people not willing to lower their price any further, also possibly due to the lack of good properties on the market.

Now with this huge drop in interest rates and people knowing that there aren't that many good properties on the market, and the month on month deprecation figures slowing right down, now could be a good time to buy and pick up a bargain! OK, the price MAY lower over the next 3 to 6 months, however in 1 or 2 years time, the house will be worth more than it is now! And in 5 years time I would estimate back to the prices they were 18 months ago.

If the Major Banks DO pass this 1.5% interest cut on in full, then I think we will start to see the market moving, because the prices are now very good, and the monthly repayments on an average mortgage of £250,000 down by more than £260 per month.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 11/8/2008.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 4:50 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Techno,

Being blonde in the other thread (by George she's got it now )

I'm not going to peak too soon, but let's hope that this increase in activity is a good sign of things to come. The prices have fallen, no doubt about it, so pitching the price right is the key, as well as being in tip top condition in a competitive market. As for the rental side if you do go down that route, the demand seems to be for unfurnished and modernised,again in tip top condition.

Most of the tracker mortgages have been pulled (surprise, surprise) but there are deals out there. First time buyers are starting to come back. Maybe it won't take as long to get back on track as we once feared. But, as I say not peaking too soon

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 5:20 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Great news Gina.  Do you know if the euribor rate has gone down too?  Also does anyone know if it's possible to remortgage in Spain to an interest only  mortgage?  Current Spanish lender is useless and desn't even bother to reply to phone calls or emails.  Any ideas? 

Jane

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 5:29 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I do know that the ECB lowered interest rates by 0.50% yesterday, so that 'should' also effect the Euribor rates by the same amount.

Don't forget, that most Mortgage lenders always charge something like 1% or 1.25% above Euribor rates!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 5:58 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

More significant is the LIBOR (inter-bank lending rate) This hasn't come down anywhere near as much as BoE base rate, and it seems only a couple of the major banks (Lloyds & Abbey) announced that they would pass the cut on to borrowers immediately.

As for pensioners relying on savings income (there are probably quite a few here in Spain) it's bad news, and rather than reacting positively to the news as many expected, the stock market plunged, as traders took it as a sign that the BoE thinks this recession is going to be a lot worse and a lot longer than some originally predicted. So anyone with stock market related savings or investments is also in for a rocky ride.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 9:48 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Jane

This one always puzzles me too. Our spanish mortgage only ever seems to go up. Funnily enough have been speaking to someone this week about some possible options, (spooky week again) I'll pass his name on to you. Based near us.

Yes, Roberto, that is the bad side of it, I agree. That's what worries me about when we eventually retire. Can't win can we?  

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 10:09 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

It isn't just LloydsTSB & Abbey that have announced that they will pass on the full 1.5% cut in base rate.

It was also announced yesterday that Nationwide, HBOS, RBS/NatWest & Northern Rock will do the same.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7716086.stm 

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 10:21 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Thanks Noreen for the link. I missed reading that one. Been too busy selling houses LOL!   When are you off to Spain again? Just booked some for April, BMI Baby had some good deals.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 11:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Only after Mr.Darling threatened to get angry with them! And as I understand it, the cuts will only apply to existing tracker mortgages. Won't necessarily mean new applicants will get good deals, so unlikely to spark much of a revival.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 11:15 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

I know Roberto,

They didn't waste any time pulling the new trackers. .

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

closed doors on local police stations. - 2 posts
Wher have all the Smileys gone??? - 13 posts
Selling car on Costa Del Sol - 3 posts
Big THANK YOU to Justin and EOS - 4 posts
Developers responsibility for defects - 4 posts
Taking my LHD UK Plates car to Spain - 30 posts
Sending boxes from UK to Spain - 11 posts
British Schools in Spain - 7 posts
Equity release problems with Landsbanki - 0 posts
Spanish property problems deepen - 4 posts
THIS IS A SERIOUS PLEA CAN SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE HELP MY WIFE AND I - 7 posts
I've launched our community based forum - 2 posts
OPP Live at Excel - Anyone going? - 6 posts
pool builder in spain (murcia) - 0 posts
DOMO PHONE RETURNING IT TO TELEFONICA - 0 posts
Directions from Dover...? - 0 posts
Downloading Skype to your computer - 4 posts
Easyjet Summer Flights - 10 posts
Painting Courses- Christmas Presents! - 1 posts
AIRPORT HELP!!!!! - 3 posts
On -line shopping..any help out there? - 4 posts
Warning - don't fall for this scam - 0 posts
Car Hire Scam - 18 posts
Furniture / kitchen recommendations - 6 posts
Diesel Renault Scenic for sale. (small people carrier shape) - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x