Ryanair Debit/Credit Card Charges

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Aug 2008 12:00 AM by Daveline Star rating in Lancashire & Orihuel.... 44 posts Send private message

I have just booked four return flights with Ryanair and been charged 8 pounds per passenger, yes 32 pounds for the priveledge of using my debit card.

I have been abused by them previously but not to that degree.

And of course you only find out after you have booked !!!

Dave

Like 0      
11 Aug 2008 10:06 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Dave, you are wrong in saying Ryanair don't tell you cost of using your cc until after you've booked.

I've just clicked on a date out with a date back just to see how it all works & it comes up with click here for information on handling fees BEFORE you confirm the flights so you could've clicked to see charges. I had no problem noticing that. It is the 1st time I've gone to see what it was like to book with Ryanair as we can only use Easyjet from Bristol. 

Going Out

Going Out   Adult 49.99 GBP Sat, Sep 20
Flight FR3452
18:05
21:40
Depart
Arrive
London Luton (LTN)
Murcia (MJV)

Coming Back

Coming Back   Adult 49.99 GBP Mon, Sep 29
Flight FR3453
18:25
20:00
Depart
Arrive
Murcia (MJV)
London Luton (LTN)

Pricing

Going Out (Web Fare)  
1 Adult @ 49.99 GBP 49.99 GBP
Taxes/Fees details 22.56 GBP
Coming Back (Web Fare)  
1 Adult @ 49.99 GBP 49.99 GBP
Taxes/Fees details 12.99 GBP

Total Cost of Flight 135.53 GBP

Excluding handling fee (if applicable)
click here for information on handling fees

I do agree that it's extortion though, I really do. 

The banking industry has slammed Ryanair for these high charges too

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/11/2008.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2008 10:25 PM by Daveline Star rating in Lancashire & Orihuel.... 44 posts Send private message

These charges are in ADDITION to the flight/charges and taxes you have shown  and are purely for the priveledge of using you card.

Dave

Like 0      
11 Aug 2008 10:32 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I appreciate that Dave & I sense your anger. 

I was saying you could check, as I did, that there was a £4 per person per flight cc charge by clicking the link click here for information on handling fees  given in a prominant place before you booked. You said you were not made aware of the cc charge until after you had booked.

Total Cost of Flight 135.53 GBP

Excluding handling fee (if applicable)
click here for information on handling fees

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/11/2008.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2008 11:19 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi all well i want to know why do we pay £3 or more for using a debit card bye irene

Like 0      
11 Aug 2008 11:47 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Think we all would like to know that Irene. All the carriers like Ryanair & Easyjet charge, though some not so much. 

Easyjet charge 2.5%, minimum £4.95 if you use your credit card & there's a fixed charge of £1.75 for using a debit card. 

My OH didn't read our Easyjet booking process properly. We wanted to buy two return flights for one month plus another two return flights for two months later & he didn't click on the "want to make another booking ?" bit after making the first booking & ended up making a complete new booking so 2 x £1.75 on our debit card. Of course he blamed me, I get blamed when he does things wrong especially the silly mistakes. He said I was looking over his shoulder.  

BTW :  Interesting comparison HERE between booking Ryanair & Easyjet

Like 0      
12 Aug 2008 8:17 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

What an interesting articule, a very interesting read especially the ins/wchr levy explanation.

Strange that Ryanair are refusing to explain where this extra insurance money is going now that the amount has decreased, I wonder why.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2008 8:22 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
When I used to accept credit cards in my small business a few years back, debit cards attracted a fixed fee of 50p per transaction, regardless of amount. Credit cards used to attract a %age of the total transaction, thus it was cheaper to accept a debit card.

It isn't only Ryanair that add the payment charges, Jet2 charge per person, per journey and I was looking at the Monarch website today and have seen that they also charge for paying by card, as well as luggage!

I think all airlines are going down the route of charging for everything in an attempt to recoup their increasing costs.

Mark

Like 0      
12 Aug 2008 9:21 PM by flyingcat Star rating in London/Mojacar. 85 posts Send private message

flyingcat´s avatar
Small charge on credit is acceptable. It used to be a couple of quids, But £8 per person for using Debit Card as Ryanair is charging is great robbery of consumers. It is charging me for spending my own money. Ryanair is disgraceful. Purely greety if you ask me. 

If there is consumer protection petition again Ryanair I will join and I think all of you should voice your opnion like Dave did. 

If I can avoid Ryanair's great robbery I will, but unfortunately I have to fly in the afternoon due to business committment in the morning, while all other airline flys early morning.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2008 9:45 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
And I fully agree with you, flying cat, I really think a petition would be good but why hasn't anyone begun one as I see nothing on the internet. I certainly wasn't disagreeing with Dave over such charges, far from it. (Just saying he was wrong to say he couldn't see charges because he could). It's a disgraceful situation.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 1:14 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Did anyone see the BBC News 'HARD TALK' interview with the owner of Ryan Air?  I caught this morning (2:30 - 3:00am).  He is so slippery and sounded so plausible for every challenge that the interviewer put to him.  

On charges for card payments he said he was encouraging people to use debit cards as they didn't attract a charge! I'm sure I heard him correctly but at that hour perhaps he didn't actually use those words. 

Charging per person per booking does sound excessive. It's as bad as the travel agents who charge a 'booking fee' for actually purchasing a holiday.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 1:21 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Sonia

He is a little liar then, if he said that, as it's £4 / 5€ per person each flight for EITHER using a credit card OR a debit card. (Just checked again !)

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 2:49 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I believe there is no charge if you have an Electron card. Not many people have them as it isn't accepted in many places.

Mark

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 3:03 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Mark's correct

Ryanair website says
" no charge assocaited with Electron card transactions. No credit / debit handling fee for infants. Even allowing for these small charges our fares still represent the best value for money" so there, the great Mick has spoken !!

So, take all your babies  (had a bellyful of these on our last return flight to Spain, scream, SCREAM, SCREAM, that's all the 2 yr old behind us did as he couldn't get his way ! )

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 7:15 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

All the companies that rip the consuemr off are only interested in the money, so the best way to register a protest is boycott them and hit themm in the pocket.. Unless there is really no alternative use another airline for a while. Or how about setting a specific date and encourage NO-ONE to fly Ryanair that day?

Regards, Poppyseed

Poppyseed

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 7:26 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
a specific date and encourage NO-ONE to fly Ryanair that day

Clever idea Poppyseed, not sure how viable that would be, but GREAT IDEA.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 7:34 PM by besj Star rating in Sweden. 5 posts Send private message

Get yourself a Visa Electron. I have one just for booking with Ryanair.As I live in Sweden I only know how to get an Visa Electron here (and there are not many who issue it in Sweden). I believe that Halifax offers Electron Cards. Also Entropay can deliver card numbers that work as Visa Electron. It will be well worth it even if you are booking only one or two flights a year...

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 8:46 PM by Daveline Star rating in Lancashire & Orihuel.... 44 posts Send private message

I have just opened an Easycash account with The Halifax.
This will give me a Visa Electron Card . The opening process is very  easy and is another weapon in the war against Ryanair !!

Feeling a bit better now !!

Dave

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 9:03 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
       RYANAI  

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 11:12 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar
I think you may all be missing the point a little.

The great Mr L has indeed been known to ask a customer " What part of F**k Off don't you understand", when he was asked why they could get no reply from customer services.

It is definitely his contention that Ryanair offer the cheapest deals and best timetable even if they do bung in all the extra charges.

You could ALL avoid flying Ryanair but am afraid you will find all budget airlines now charge various amounts for debit and credit card payments. I use Monarch to Murcia and curse their pricing structure.

Rather than a petition you would do better by writing to both your local MP and MEP as both parliaments are unhappy about hidden charges, having said that if airlines were forced to remove these charges then the ticket price would just increase proportionately. Heads you lose, Tails you lose.

PS Just remember how much passenger tax you are paying to the government each time you fly, more than the card charge shall we launch a campaign about that also?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Disappeared - 11 posts
More Community Problems - 30 posts
Driving schools near Coín?! - 8 posts
jean oldham - 7 posts
Any advice on this one please? - 105 posts
Oooops.....Pink Combat shorts!!! - 6 posts
A good Abogado in the Manilva area. - 4 posts
Mosa Golf User Rights - 0 posts
Need contact details of state schools in Spain, preferably Costa Blanca!asap???? - 3 posts
Dish Supplier? - 7 posts
Costa del Sol Bus Strike - 3 posts
Padron is a town in La Coruña (Galicia) - 1 posts
6 month rental - 0 posts
REFUSED BUILDING LICENSES - 11 posts
Looking for long term let preferably Alicante asap???Can u help??? - 10 posts
How to find electrical work in spain! - 16 posts
ClickFree auto back up 160GB portable multi PC hard drive is TSV on QVC NOW !! One day only. - 7 posts
Swimming Pool Construction - 1 posts
Swimming pool and other community issues - 19 posts
Bank Accounts - 4 posts
Conservatory or extention in Spain - 20 posts
shani - 4 posts
Would like to introduce ourselves. - 2 posts
Accessing Banco Halifax Online. - 15 posts
The north... - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 109

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x