Laptop help please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 May 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Is there anyone that can help me please? I don't have much hair left as it is, so I could do without pulling out any more .

I bought a new laptop the other day which has Vista on it (I don't think that is this problem, although it is still a crap operating system). The pad you use to move the cursor has been enabled to be a tap screen. I am moving pages, adding spaces, navigating away and all sorts where I accidentally touch the screen .Does anyone know where the setting is to turn the tap screen off? I have been looking unsuccessfully now for 3 days .

It's an E System machine if that helps.

Thanks

Mark

Like 0      
11 May 2008 6:55 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like 0      
11 May 2008 8:30 PM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar
On the taskbar - right-hand side you should look for the pointing device - mine is synaptics. Click on it and it gives you loads of options for how the mousepad can work to your needs. You may need to experiment a bit to get it right. If you cannot see it or it does not show use your help page search device for 'mousepad features'. That should help you find it. Good luck. BTW I don't think its anything to do with vista.

Like 0      
11 May 2008 8:43 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Thanks for all the replies. My touchpad is not a synaptics device and downloading generic drivers from the synaptics website fail to install, Vista marks them as corrupt. Googling, it seems that some none synaptic devices cannot be tap disabled. It seems I may have to disable the screen altogether and use a mouse. So much for making computers easier .

Mark

Like 0      
11 May 2008 8:47 PM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar
Ok - maybe yuo could learn to live with it. On mine the right hand edge is for scrolling. The top right hand corner shifts the page down , etc. , etc Once you have worked out how yours is working you may find it helpful.

Like 0      
11 May 2008 8:53 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I can't live with it, I disabled it on my old laptop as it was too much of an inconvenence. I don't want to use a laptop, poking the keys like a puppet. I am just loathe to phone the 50p minute helplines to get what should be a relatively easy fix.

Very annoying.

Mark

Like 0      
11 May 2008 11:02 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Hi Mark

I have pm'd you with some suggestions I found on the internet, it seems you are not alone in this problem. One suggestion was to cut a piece from a postcard to cover the touchpad and tape it over it - simple, not scientific, but could be effective.

Best of luck in sorting this problem, I am lucky that I have been able to disable mine on my Acer by changing mine not to run on the startup menu. 

Have you tried e-mailing e-machines with this problem? http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html#

Countdown Clocks at WishAFriend.com

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
12 May 2008 6:50 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

Hi there, normally, the touchpad can be disabled in the BIOS. Reboot the machine and hit F1 (could be another key on your machine but it will say which key to go into BIOS or setup). From there, you will find options to disable/enable hardware. Hope this helps.

Like 0      
12 May 2008 7:57 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Hi Marksfish,

have you tried going to 'my computor section' then 'appearances & themes'  there is a mouse pinter option you can change from there. I haven't got Vista but a friend of mine suggested this. My son has Vista, I will double check with him and get back to you if this doesn't work.

Like 0      
12 May 2008 12:33 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
You could always get someone to have a look at it directly....use a product like logmein.com and setup an account....you can then send someone a link to go and look at this directly...you can control their usage on your laptop and disconnect at any time. I use this for access any of the systems that friends and family want a hand with and it works well from anywhere in the world.

Like 0      
12 May 2008 6:19 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Yeeeeeessssssssss!!!!!! I found a driver . A bit more googling found a page on the PC World/ Dixons/ Currys support site that has loads of drivers. I wasn't sure it would work as the driver is signed for XP. It turned out to be a Synaptics driver, even though my touchpad isn't a Synaptic device and I can now type away without fear of navigating away from the page I am viewing or the type ending up somewhere else on the page because my hand has caught it.

Thanks to everyone that took te time to PM me or reply in the htread, it was much appreciated.

Mark

Like 0      
12 May 2008 6:31 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar

I'm glad you sorted it out  - I did ask my son (a lap top whizz) and his answer was.........and I quote "He should have got xp not vista....vista's total c..p!"

Don't your kids make you so proud? 

Like 0      
12 May 2008 6:40 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I totally agree with your Son . I've had the laptop less than a week and it is continually crashing. I have thought about buying a copy of XP, but will presevere for a while longer to see if it gets better with use (I think I know the answer to that one ).

Mark

Like 0      
13 May 2008 8:18 AM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Have Vista as well....but downloaded SP1 and it runs faster and does not crash at all. If you haven't then I would download and update

Like 0      
13 May 2008 1:41 PM by chelseadel Star rating in Welling kent & Las .... 155 posts Send private message

chelseadel´s avatar
Hi Mark.
next time get a MAC 

Derek

Like 0      
14 May 2008 8:21 AM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
Hi Mark,

Vista is ok as long as you have a high spec laptop - if not you would be better installing XP. We have noticed huge speed differences in laptops and desktops by replacing Vista with XP.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How to find a good administrator? - 9 posts
buying golf clubs - 7 posts
Introducing myself to the forum - 1 posts
El Rocio - 5 posts
Anyone in Torrevieja? - 3 posts
Driving over in june - 11 posts
Cheap Flights & Accommodation ?? - 5 posts
Feisty Kitty needs new home - 2 posts
Swimming Pool Lockout - 4 posts
Van Rental in Murcia Region - 9 posts
Selling Luxury 2 Bed Apartment Los Granados De Cabopino - 1 posts
THE RAIN IN SPAIN AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 24 posts
business partner wanted - 1 posts
Information on new routes and travel news - 0 posts
Problem with changing UK car to Spanish plates - 0 posts
Seville airport - nearest place to watch Champions League final on TV? - 0 posts
All about Albatera - 12 posts
HEARING AID REPAIR - 0 posts
Marilyn from Essex and Casares - 1 posts
hello all! Hoping to move near San Sebastien - 9 posts
Freesat - 2 posts
Anyone use Friends Reunited site ? - 6 posts
washing powder - 3 posts
Regarding forum rules, can THIS be implemented, Justin ? - 8 posts
Please help the - - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x