Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 May 2008 12:00 AM by juliojulio Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hello everyone.

Good to 'meet' you!

Myself and my boyfriend are hoping to move to Spain around April 2010 so I'm starting to plan things now. Any advice would be brilliant.

We'd like to move somewhere near San Sebastien and run a bed and breakfast. My boyfriend works from home running a record label and would be able to do this from anywhere really. So he would work from home. I like the idea of running a bed and breakfast so we can have a decent quality of life and spend time together and with our kid (I'm expecting!)

If everything goes to plan with the saleof our current home, we should have about 75k to put down on the new place and will need a mortgage for the rest.

Does anyone know much about living in this area? Is the language as inpenetrable as I'm led to believe?

ANd does anyone know anything about running a bed and breakfast in Spain? All advice gratefully received!

Like 0      
08 May 2008 12:04 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi JulioJulio

If you look at JaneB's posts (use search facility) you'll see she runs a B&B in Almeria & she's extremely helpful on here.

Like 0      
08 May 2008 12:11 PM by juliojulio Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

great, i'll do that.

Thanks!

Like 0      
08 May 2008 12:18 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Jane goes by Jane b & her website is http://www.lastortugas.net/bb.html

This message was last edited by morerosado on 5/8/2008.

Like 0      
10 May 2008 12:11 PM by Esteruca Star rating in Costa del Sol. 64 posts Send private message

Hello! I was born and lived in San Sebastian area for more that 20 years, all my family and friends are still there. The Basque Country is one of the most beautifull places to live but it is not the easies places to make a living specially if you don´t speak the language (spanish and basque). My partner is english and does not speak much spanish and only a few basque words for that reason we choose CDS as the place for us to live as we thought that will be extremely difficult for him (he is a quiet lazy learning languages) . You need to know that not many people will speak english there and property is not cheap been San Sebastian the second more expensive city in the all Spain. If you decided to move there I wish you the best luck in the world. The people are very friendly, the food is lovely, the scenery is amazing...., it is woderful.

Like 0      
12 May 2008 11:00 AM by juliojulio Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hello Esteruca, and thanks for your advice. As you mentioned, it is a wonderful area, so maybe if we work hard to learn the language(s) before we leave, our efforts will be rewarded!

We are hoping that we will make a living by running a bed and breakfast which would probably mainly cater for English people and also my partner runs his own business from home. SO that bit should be ok

I would say the more discouraging point that you made is about the property prices! I didn't realise that it was the second most expensive city in Spain! Oh dear, oh dear! That is not good news at all!

This message was last edited by juliojulio on 5/12/2008.

Like 0      
12 May 2008 3:07 PM by Esteruca Star rating in Costa del Sol. 64 posts Send private message

Hi Juliojulio, Sorry for the news, San Sebastian de city is very expensive. You can search on this web www.segundamano.es, go to gipuzkoa, type San Sebastian, inmobiliaria and enter. This will give you an idea on prices, you will find that the closer to the city the more expensive that gets. As the Basque Country is not very popular with english yet I guess that you want to be close to the city where the english will be going for their visits. Areas like Amara and Gross are on the outskirts of the city.

Like 0      
12 May 2008 4:39 PM by juliojulio Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks,

I'll have a look at those websites.

Actually, we would be happy to be in another smaller village on the coast near San Sebastien. Prefereably somewhere with a good surf scene.

We are hoping to get out there in September and we will drive around a lot and explore the areas surrounding San Sebastien

Like 0      
12 May 2008 5:01 PM by Esteruca Star rating in Costa del Sol. 64 posts Send private message

Zarautz is the best surfing town on the Gipuzkoa coast. Again not cheap been a sea town.

Like 0      
13 May 2008 1:22 AM by ozneo Star rating in Staffs UK & Las kale.... 16 posts Send private message

ozneo´s avatar

Hi there, just thought I would pop this info in for you as it may be of some use to you later on. I did a Spanish course in the UK a couple of years ago, and my lecturer was from San Sebastian. She returned there last year to her family. She speaks basque as well, but her English is fantastic as she was married to an Englishman. I could give you her name if this may be of any use to you as she may be able to help you with the language and possibly other things while you are there. Please let me know and I will give her name by private message.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Freesat - 2 posts
Anyone use Friends Reunited site ? - 6 posts
washing powder - 3 posts
Regarding forum rules, can THIS be implemented, Justin ? - 8 posts
Please help the - - 4 posts
management fees community fees - 1 posts
registering british car in spain - 4 posts
hi - 2 posts
have you had a bad time buying in Spain? - 5 posts
Airport Transfer - 3 posts
European Commission gives a TV advertising ultimatum to Spain - 4 posts
Increase the Financial Services Compensation Scheme limit to at least £100,000. - 2 posts
TELMICRO (CHANNELS GONE !!) - 62 posts
are you my neighbour - 1 posts
managenent fees/connunial charge - 12 posts
promises promises - 0 posts
Dogs to Spain from NON EU country - 0 posts
Hello - 8 posts
TAXing questions? - 3 posts
Boards showing new last posts, but then .....??? - 5 posts
Car hire in Los Alcazares - 3 posts
Thread problems - 2 posts
developers starting selling property in Sterling.. - 19 posts
Justice reforms - 6 posts
Still a UK Resident ? - Maximise your Principal Private Residence Relief - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x