Good restaurants in the Duquesa Area

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

We  have just returned from the CDS on Sunday and I have to recommend three restaurants in the Duquesa/ Sabinillas area  which we found to have really god food although  I must admit  I have not found one bad one yet.

Has anyone tried the new restaurant that used to be Rory's - can't remember its new name but the food is fabulous if you like something different like Boar, rabbit, Oxtail , Venison . At the end of the meal they offer you two liquers one non alcoholic ( very nice ) and the other is like fire water - it is pure alcohol.

Across the road there is a restaurant in the Pueblo Mexicano which serves authentic Spanish food at reasonbale prices.  We went there in the summer and on Good Friday and the fish is excellent - try the seafood pasta or the seafood paella- briliant .

The third is the find of the year - the food is so good that we had lunch there three times this holiday. It was recommended to us by an Assistant at Bernard Munoz. The locals go there and Spanish locals will not frequent if the restaurnat is not good.   It is in Sabanillas in a square below the Sol Bank  ( don't know the name of the street , I did try and remember it but of course  I didn't ) . It's called Cruze Blanco ( !!! ) . It is in the right hand corner of the square  which I am sure by the time the summer comes will be full of bars etc.  Sorry for being so vague but if you can find it you are in for a treat - the food is brilliant .  Justin you probably know it .   A few English people have already found it but it is predominately Spanish .

Oh and I have to mention CIOU  italian restaurant in the Port - ask for the Specials .

As you can see I had a very good holiday.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 2:57 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Tamsin

Glad you had a good holiday. For me the food is a major part of a holiday and I feel disappointed if I don't feel as though I have been well fed. I don't know which restaurant you mean that used to be called Rory's, which one is it exactly? We have never tried the Pueblo Mexicano restaurant but you are right about Cruz Blanco, the tapas selection is really good.They are actually a chain that you can find all over Spain.

Cruz Blanca

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 1:47 PM by sunnyside Star rating in UK/Duquesa. 95 posts Send private message

sunnyside´s avatar

RE: Rory's

Is this the one you mean,I got this name from another forum, Casa-Meson Jimenez?

I think it is located on the slip road from the Port into Sabbi on the right hand side.

Like 0      
05 Apr 2008 5:16 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Yes that is the name of the restaurant . Some friends of ours went when it just opened and were not impressed as teh portions were so small but I think that was just teething problems. .  We were all impressed.

Like 0      
05 Apr 2008 8:07 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Tamsin

Thanks for th e recommendations. If you like fish try Ramos in Sabbi , next to Fathoms Bar...or Bistro Red in Monte Duquesa..very good.

Regards

John

Like 0      
12 Apr 2008 6:19 PM by manilvajl Star rating in Manilva as much as p.... 426 posts Send private message

Also try Venta La Choza near the roundabout to Casares, 2 roundabouts east of Sabinillas. Good food, atmosphere and price many Spanish people eat there as do the English. Lond trousers suggested as the staff are almost black tie.

Jeff

Like 0      
19 Apr 2008 4:40 PM by robmct Star rating in Edinburgh/London - .... 196 posts Send private message

robmct´s avatar

Hi all

Avoid the ' Slow Boat To China ' in Duquesa - shocking place...

We chinese nect door but sadly it was full, so we decided to try Slow boat,  the place was like a fast food joint, very noisey, service shocking,  the staff had faces like they had been slapped with a wet fish,  anyway, we ordered our food and before we could blink the food arrived.... took less than 3 minutes....

BBQ Spare Ribs -  meat was like Gamon, full of fat,  sauce was like jelly and not BBQ flavour, so  we left them...

Crispy Beef Hong kong style,  looked like it had come out of microwave but was cold,  sauce was same as BBQ ribs, lef hem too.

Chicken freid rice,   chicken was hardly cooked...

Chicken soft noddles, swimming in gravy....

Staff then totally ignored us and if they did look as see we were not eating they hurried to another table...

Finaly one lady came over and just went to remove food,  Sandra asked her,  ' are you going to ask us why we have not eaten anything,  she called a guy over,  we told him were we shocked,  his rely was, were very fast and very busy... he then walked away.,,,

We then gave us the bill and said nothing,  we just paid and left...

Will never go there again, avoid like the plague...

Cheers

Rob  -

Like 0      
24 May 2008 10:10 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Hi Rob,

Sorry you had such a disapointing meal in the Slow Boat.

Must say we have dined there and had a great time, everything cooked to perfection and nobody in any hurry.

When we're in Duquesa port and want Chinese, we alawys used to go to Asiatico (right down the end on the same side as the Dolphin Bar), however everyone seems to recommend Slow Boat, and I must say we will go back there again.

Are you sure it was the Slow Boat and not the Chinese under the Indian?

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
24 May 2008 10:36 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
On a different note ....

If you want a traditional Sunday Carvery when in Duquesa, then look no further than Browns. WOW

Great food in a nice, quite atmos, And you don't have to wait until Sunday .... you can have it any night of the week! This restaurant is the last on the left after you have gone up the steps to the 1st plaza.

And if you like your food a bit on the texmex, then go to the Straw Donkey - The portions are massive. 

Loads of people don't know where this restaurant is, so I will tell you ..... When in the port and walking from the main car park, keeping the bars and restaurants to your right, keep walking right down to the corner, and then go up the steps and turn right. you can't miss it from there.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
24 May 2008 11:34 PM by robmct Star rating in Edinburgh/London - .... 196 posts Send private message

robmct´s avatar
Hey Tech 

It was defo the ' Slow Boat ' we remember at xmas the place  was dead but we ended up there next time due to one across 
from it was sadly full,  now the food there at xmas superb,  back to the slow boa, it t was shocking that night, how could they cook our food in 3 minutes... 

Straw Donkey,  oh my,  we had another shocker there,  the wine came from a 2 euro bottle and the ribs were red and full of
grisle,  they even gave us our money back and blamed it on a bad delivery..

The cavery looks really nice and we will be going there on our next visit,  we usualy eat in Estepona, now if you want a buffet
Indian the go to Sabinallas on the sea front very  nice and only 11 euros, eat all you like.. wed/thu/sun... 

I guess everyone has there favs....

Looking forward to getting back to Estepona in 2 weeks...

Cheers

Rob

Like 0      
01 Jun 2008 10:54 AM by jackie12 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

jackie12´s avatar
We have just got back from a week in Duquesa and we are pleased to report that our favorite restaurant, Parapiros, is now a non smoking restaurant.

The best place for lunch is Rilex on the promenade in Sabinillas. Although on a rainy day the Straw Donkey is always good value and the ribs are a favorite of our 9 year old.

This message was last edited by jackie12 on 6/1/2008.

Like 0      
01 Jun 2008 8:17 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Where is Parapiros??

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
02 Jun 2008 12:54 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
According to THIS Parapiros is on the second level (above Plaza de la Fuente) Italian cuisine & pizzas 952 890 744 

Great Food, Great service, wonderful atmosphere created by Italian Family run business.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2008 2:37 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Maureen, if you are looking at the port from the marina/sea, then Parapiros is up the top, left hand side.   You can't see it from the marina as it's further back (La Traviata /Straw Donkey side).

This message was last edited by Pitby on 6/2/2008.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2008 7:14 AM by jackie12 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

jackie12´s avatar

Up the steps at the side of the Jolly Sailor, turn right past the Straw Donkey (wave to Will) Straight on under the arch and it is on the right (Blue & white) . Family run , friendly , relaxed .

Like 0      
02 Jun 2008 7:22 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Exactly where I meant Jackie, but you set out the directions much more eloquently - and precisely!!    

Like 0      
02 Jun 2008 8:08 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Thanks Everyone, we will try it next time we are out.

Jan, we could maybe all meet around that area on 11th July.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
02 Jun 2008 8:18 AM by jackie12 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

jackie12´s avatar
Hi Robmct.   We agree fully about the Slow Boat to China. Worst food, worst service worst ATTITUDE we and others have ever experienced. They seem to work on the " Let people moan, another mug will be along in a minute " theory. That is probably OK in the busy summer months, lets see what happens when it is quiet. We were recommend to the smaller one next door by a local restaurant owner and have never gone back.

This message was last edited by jackie12 on 6/2/2008.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2008 8:40 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

We were in the Slow Boat in April and loved it, suppose it's like the ones at home, you recommend it then you go back and it's awful.

We loved the Argentinian restaurant in Sabinillis, we went in November and it was fantastic, we came out in April with all our family and eight of us went and it was the worst meal I have ever had, so won't go back there again, I felt awful as I had gone on so much about it.

I'm at the stage now where I won't recommend  any .

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
03 Jun 2008 1:00 PM by bill Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

From our own experience, we advise people to avoid the Slow Boat but go to the Golden Hong Kong instead - the set meals for 2 or 4 etc are good value and the service is excellent -  the shredded duck is a firm favorite with everyone.
I also agree that Parapiros is excellent together with Red Bistro.
I am looking forward to trying the new place which used to be known as Rory's and the tapas bar in Sabinillas.
Bill

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How to avoid Spanish Inheritance Tax - 25 posts
fire baskets - 0 posts
Not what but where? - 18 posts
hi we are tonden - 2 posts
Meeting - 09/06/07 - 54 posts
Driving from Bilbao to Mar Menor - 11 posts
Directions To the Roman Baths - 4 posts
Good Ladies Clothes Shop - 5 posts
Intercom system - 3 posts
This seems very expensive - 0 posts
Looks like a new way to create funds! - 6 posts
Spanish Banking Ombudsman - 37 posts
Completion?-but have to pay 4000 euros for insurance??? - 6 posts
can this business work in spain???? - 6 posts
dont just sit there - 2 posts
Hi - 3 posts
PET FREE COMMUNITY - 4 posts
Directions to Manilva required - 0 posts
golf clubs in Murcia - 10 posts
manilva beach - 2 posts
Traveling to Spain from Bulgaria with new dog - 0 posts
Did you pay CGT Capital Gain Tax (mod 212) between 2003 and 2006 ? - 0 posts
Looking for a fiscal representitive... - 11 posts
What do you all think of..... - 14 posts
NEW MORTGAGE ALERT - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 93

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x