Driving from Bilbao to Mar Menor

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by 1971 Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hi

We are going to drive from bilbao ferry port to Mar Menor, anyone have any tips advice for us, first time driving through Spain.

Thanks

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 11:32 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Remember to drive on the right

I think the best way is via Madrid rather than Zaragoza and the coast. I think you'll find it's toll-free and, apart from negotiating Madrid, probably less traffic. But others will know better, as it some time since I've travelled either route.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 4:11 PM by noneck Star rating in Los Alcazares. 7 posts Send private message

As Roberto said

Bilbao to  Burgos, Madrid,Albacete,Murcia. Its about 500 miles 9 hours. All motorway no tolls.

Then you there

Like 0      
06 Apr 2008 6:35 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

In early February we drove Bilbao to Alicante in one hit, mostly overnight as the boat arrived in Bilbao late.  We used the sat. nav and when the toll and non-toll routes were compared the Toll route was 1.5 hours shorter, so we took that.  Something went a bit wrong around Bilbao, so we took a long time to get back on the motorway, but we are talking 9 hours inc one very short break to buy fuel, water and snacks to eat as we drove.

Coming back this time last week we got the route right and stopped for the night about 50 miles short of Burgos, then travelled on to Bilbao in the morning.  Total about 8 hours, but with v.poor weather going over the mountains north of Madrid which slowed us down.  Some gorgeous countryside in the daylight though.

Generally the roads were pretty clear, even going around Madrid in the evening rush hour, although the roads were busy, there were no jams.  Heavy again around Bilbao of course. Speed was kept to the legal maximum at all times, so no law breaking.  Total tolls about 19 euro's.  You have to keep your wits about you around  Bibao and Madrid as the road directions can be very confusing to us Brits.

We had thought about the Zaragoza route, but decided to follow the sat.nav recommendation.  Generally we didn't like the experience.  First because we live in East Kent, the Channel Tunnel would have been much faster, albeit with a drive thro' France, second because the boat was 7 hours late going out and 2 hours late coming back, third because sitting on a boat for days on end waiting to get there can be (and was for us) boring.  Next time we take the car, I think a gentle miander thro' France will be more on the cards, taking maybe 3 days and still beating the boat trip time at less cost.

Mike

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 9:22 AM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Agree with you xetog - 3 days on a boat (a dirty over priced one at that) was our idea of hell.  At to think they advertise the trip as a minicruise.  The Dover - Calais ferries are better. Our first and last experience was in November / December last year.  Have spend 30+ years driving down to North Africa and much prefer to drive all the way. We usually allow 3 days (to Algeceras) and don't think there's much difference in price taking into account fuel, tolls and overnight stops.

Madrid (and Paris) are the worst bits but we've got them both sussed now for directions it's just the maniac drivers that cause the problems. Incidently for those of you (me!) who don't have SatNav AA route planner is very good.  

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 5:36 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

We always do the drive through france and use the eurotunnel mainly because we do all our shopping at Tesco's which gives us enough clubcard vouchers to exchange for the eurotunnel at no cost.

I always use the sat nav and it will always take you via paris round the boulevard peripherique which i don't mind but I suppose that is beacuse I do a lot of driving and the majority is in London with a 7.5 tonne parcel van

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 8:07 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Anyone use Speedferries Dover - Boulogne?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Apr 2008 9:49 AM by 1971 Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Thank you for all your replies,

We now might just drive the whole way - eurotunnel then france via montipellier and down stopping to camp.

Still like to hear more stories and experiences.

:)

Like 0      
09 Apr 2008 3:55 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
1971 if you go here then put in calais to mar menor or nearest town to it then it will display all the hotels on route and they are very competitive

Like 0      
16 Apr 2008 2:06 PM by PVP Star rating in birmingham. 44 posts Send private message

I recently went to Fortuna, Dover to Boulogne Speed Ferries, no problems found them very efficient and quick only 55 mins each way

Like 0      
22 May 2008 12:36 PM by 1971 Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

If anyone is remotley interested, I am now doing Santanter boat and driving down via madrid.
Under 3 weeks to go now!!

Like 0      
28 May 2008 10:56 AM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
Hi 1971

We have just done the journey from Santander to San Juan de los Terreros, Almeria. Because we have 2 puppies we chose to split our journey over 2 days and went across to Teruel on day 1, and then drove down the coast on day 2. We paid about 55€ in toll fees and I think we used a couple of tanks of fuel. We found the services to be a variable item, from a petrol station with a snack range to full services with restaurant and picnic area as we would expect on the motoroway at home. We also found that none of them had cash machines, but we could pay the tolls by credit card. For us, the decision to drive over 2 days was the right one, my husband found even with sunglasses on, that he was squinting against the sun and it was very warm through the glass, so he was glad of the rest.

The toll  roads were incredibly clear of traffic which made it a joy to drive but there was a noticable increase in traffic once the road was free, sections of the A7 were very busy but all moving at speed.

We took Brittany ferries across from Plymouth to Santander and has a really calm crossing, although we had been warned that the sea could be choppy.

I hope you have a good trip and enjoy the sunshine, it's beautiful here today.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Directions To the Roman Baths - 4 posts
Good Ladies Clothes Shop - 5 posts
Intercom system - 3 posts
This seems very expensive - 0 posts
Looks like a new way to create funds! - 6 posts
Spanish Banking Ombudsman - 37 posts
Completion?-but have to pay 4000 euros for insurance??? - 6 posts
can this business work in spain???? - 6 posts
dont just sit there - 2 posts
Hi - 3 posts
PET FREE COMMUNITY - 4 posts
Directions to Manilva required - 0 posts
golf clubs in Murcia - 10 posts
manilva beach - 2 posts
Traveling to Spain from Bulgaria with new dog - 0 posts
Did you pay CGT Capital Gain Tax (mod 212) between 2003 and 2006 ? - 0 posts
Looking for a fiscal representitive... - 11 posts
What do you all think of..... - 14 posts
NEW MORTGAGE ALERT - 11 posts
300 Euro Monthly Community Charge! - 2 posts
Guardamar Information website - 4 posts
Hello everyone! - 1 posts
Want 2 bedrooms in first-line from beach for 3 months from April 08 - budget 1500euros - 0 posts
TV CHANNELLS - 2 posts
Apartment Insurance - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x