Owning a Spanish car as a Non-Resident

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Apr 2021 6:12 PM by Gaucingirl2021 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I am a non-resident property owner in Spain.   Am I as a non-resident allowed to purchase a Spanish-registered car and drive it on my UK driiving licence (with or without an International Driving Permit?) for the two ninety-day periods I am allowed to be in the EU?

Like 1      
20 Apr 2021 10:38 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Yes, you can buy and drive a Spanish registered car and yes, you can drive it on your UK DL as a non-resident.

Like 3      
23 Apr 2021 2:28 PM by moshestrugano Star rating in Israel. 2 posts Send private message

moshestrugano´s avatar

Moshe Strugano (Attorney - Moshe Strugano and Co Law firm) you can buy and drive in UK

Like 0      
25 Apr 2021 10:46 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Two 90 day periods?

Like 0      
26 Apr 2021 10:38 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Yes, 2 x 90 day periods in one complete year. 

Like 1      
26 Apr 2021 10:38 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Yes, 2 x 90 day periods in one complete year. 

Like 1      
26 Apr 2021 4:56 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

I am not sure what the Israeli Attorney is saying. Can you own a Spanish registered vehicle and drive it in the UK where you are permanent resident?

Can a non resident of Spain from a third world country buy and register a Spanish vehicle to a part time Spanish address?

Like 0      
31 May 2021 1:15 AM by Dayfìn Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

You can't drive a Spanish registered  car in UK if you are UK reident

Like 0      
31 May 2021 4:59 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Dayfin - unsure of the point you're making - the original question from Gaicinggirl was:

Am I as a non-resident allowed to purchase a Spanish-registered car and drive it on my UK driiving licence for the two ninety-day periods I am allowed to be in the EU?

As there is a reference to "periods in the EU" I took this as implying being driven in Spain, not the UK.

PS But yes surprised by the comment from Moshe Strugano (Attorney - Moshe Strugano and Co Law firm) - perhaps they're hard-up for business, but personally, not sure I'll being seeking advice from them...

Like 2      
04 Apr 2022 12:06 PM by Noel1 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Can anyone confirm the answer is still YES to the original question, repeated below in bold italic, now UK is fully out of EU.

"Am I as a non-resident allowed to purchase a Spanish-registered car and drive it on my UK driiving licence for the two ninety-day periods I am allowed to be in the EU?"

Also what is the process of buying a Spanish used car from a car dealer in Spain if you are non-resident with UK driving licence, with no Spanish property ownership and without Spanish NIE. What forms are needed to comply with any Spanish legal requirements, transfer of ownership, car tax etc?

Any other advice for buying used car from Spanish car dealer, or privately would be appreciated.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2022 1:05 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

But you will need NIE to purchase Spanish vehicle.

Like 1      
07 Apr 2022 10:56 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Legally you may not own  & buy a Car as a Non-Resident of Spain since Brexit even though you may have acquired an NIE Number. Some forum members may disagree with me here. Best thing to do is to check out the information on the  DGT Website in Spain to find the answer.

This message was last edited by nigel188 on 4/7/2022.

Nigel

Like 0      
07 Apr 2022 11:35 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Sorry, I must laugh at that one. That would mean about a dozen on our communtiy alone are breaking the law. Plus the dealers who sold them to them as well.

NIE and proof of address was all that was needed. Several of them leave the cars parked outside their homes but most of them have them parked up in the long stay car parks at the airport and collect them for their visits. 

Like 3      
08 Apr 2022 12:02 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Further reading for you

If you are non-resident in Spain but have a Spanish registered car, you may be unwittingly registered as a Spanish tax payer – meaning you are liable for changing your foreign licence to a Spanish one, and may face a hefty fine for not doing so.

This situation can also cause you trouble if you later become a resident, as the tax office may investigate you for non-presentation of your income tax return.

Why this is so

A non-resident who owns a Spanish registered car will often have been registered as a tax-payer at the time of collecting the licence plates.

Many expats will not realise that this has been done automatically by their gestor (or the car dealership, if they registered a new car on your behalf).

This is in accordance with article 7) of Real Decreto 828/1995, which establishes that the person who is obliged to present the tax in question must be registered as a Spanish tax payer and be subject to the national income tax regime (regimen ordinario de impuesto sobre personas físicas).

So your gestor will have registered you as a tax-payer, in accordance with this law; otherwise the tax on the purchase of the vehicle (or the import of the vehicle) will not have been accepted by the tax authority.

It is possible that your gestor will have registered you as a non-resident tax payer, which means you will not be liable to the situation described in this article.

A non-resident who is registered on the padrón of their municipality; and who is also registered as a tax-payer are de facto residents of Spain for tax purposes.

What implications does this have for me?

The most important implication is the obligation for residents to exchange their driving licence for a Spanish one. Non-residents are, logically, not obliged to exchange their licence.

But if you are stopped by the Guardia Civil the onus is on you to prove that you are not obliged to exchange your licence. The fact that you are registered as a Spanish tax-payer -and will appear as such if a check is run on your identity – means any fine will be automatically applied.

The standard fine for not having exchanged your driving licence is €200.

There is also the possibility that if, in the future, you obtain Spanish residency the Tax Authority will investigate you for not having submitted an annual resident tax return if your name appears in their registry. They can issue an annual fine for up to four years.

What can I do?

You first need to check your tax-payer status with the Tax Authority. If you are registered as a tax-payer then you should submit proof of being a tax-paying resident of another country and request your removal from the active list.

You will need a certificate of non-residency, which also serves as proof to the Guardia Civil that you are not obliged to exchange your driving licence.

Unquote

Nigel

Like 1      
08 Apr 2022 10:51 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Nigel - you indicate the advice is copied from another source - please can you state who this is?

Thanks in advance.

Like 0      
08 Apr 2022 4:01 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Nigel

Like 0      
08 Apr 2022 4:17 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

So, as said, there is no restriction on a non resident owning a car. Just make sure the paperwork is done correctly and you aren't listed as resident. 

Like 0      
11 Aug 2022 6:58 PM by Tom137 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi

did you get a car? I've just purchased a property and I think like you, want to buy a Spanish car and leave it parked at the airport 

could you help, what was needed?

tom

Like 0      
11 Aug 2022 6:59 PM by Tom137 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi

did you get a car? I've just purchased a property and I think like you, want to buy a Spanish car and leave it parked at the airport 

could you help, what was needed?

tom

Like 0      
11 Aug 2022 8:50 PM by dcp21 Star rating in Mold. 26 posts Send private message

I bought a Ka in April from a reputable dealer in San Javier and they did all the paperwork. As a non-resident, I had to give my NIE, Proof of address which in my case was my electric bill & passport. 

Like 1      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

PCR Tests - 9 posts
scrapping a car - 2 posts
Low pressure from new water heater - 2 posts
Court costs - 6 posts
Bank Second Line Security ID - 6 posts
Is Andalusia open to uk residents - 1 posts
for sale nice guitar - 1 posts
wanted snooker partner - 0 posts
UK car in airport parking, no mot and tax - 2 posts
Eu 90 day rule - 46 posts
Floor Clause win - 0 posts
hearing aids - 0 posts
La Tercia Village Murcia - 0 posts
Lack of Communication from Spanish Lawyers - 6 posts
looking to rent long term - 0 posts
Padron Update non EU Citizens - 4 posts
Costaluz Lawyers - 0 posts
Stanley Johnson Holidays? - 8 posts
A strong battle against Supreme Court´s recent interpretation of Law 57/68 we are in - 10 posts
Getting Your House Bills Electronically When Stuck In The UK - 8 posts
Pain Clinic - 2 posts
Driver and campervan required June/July for Spain to UK repatriation 1 person, 2 cats and luggage - 0 posts
Mapfre insurance - 4 posts
Law changed to protect the councils ? - 6 posts
Where to get permission to be out in curfew? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x