Eu 90 day rule

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Mar 2021 4:54 PM by dmack Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I would like to rent a property in Spain next winter for six months.

Please could you tell me what do I have to do to be in a position not to have to not be subject to the 90 days out of 180 rule? 

David

Like 0      
29 Mar 2021 8:13 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi, I am happy to be corrected but my understanding is that you cant stay longer than 90 in every 180 days. The only exemptions are to apply for a visa or residencia which is somewhat extreme for just a holiday. 

Like 0      
29 Mar 2021 9:07 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

You can apply for a visa at the Spanish embassy it costs around £500 ..you will also need private health insurance in place before they give yo a visa.. personally if I was you I would stick to 90 days in 180 doing it this way you don't need private health insurance as you.can use the new GHIC UK medical card as you are classed as a holiday maker...you will also find it very difficult to rent a property for 6 months as you need a Spanish N.I.E to do this

This message was last edited by windtalker on 29/03/2021.

Like 1      
29 Mar 2021 10:25 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

According  to the Spanish gov website, long stay visas are for residency applications, work applications or student applications. There isn't an actual one for holidy long stay. 

Extensions to the 90 day rule are only given for medical or emergency reasons whilst actually in Spain. 

Like 1      
31 Mar 2021 6:58 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

17.4 million people voted to end our freedom of movement, nearly five years ago. It seems some people are only now starting to understand what this means. Why are people not angrier about it?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 2      
01 Apr 2021 10:07 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Roberto ...The people of the UK including myself did not vote to end freedom of movement...Mr David Cameron went over to Brussels and asked for  restrictions on so called freedom of movement ( to stop poor people mainly from Eastern Europe) coming to the UK and bleeding the social security system dry the EU point blank refused hence the Brexit so it was the EU that ended freedom of movement ...not the UK.

Like 4      
01 Apr 2021 10:10 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

17.4 people didn't really vote just to end our freedom of movement, these 17.4 million people were, just my opinion, sick to the back teeth of the EU's rules and conditions they put on England which in many ways affected us badly. Many things have come out now about what we can do, and can't do, which were never mentioned before, or told about, in all honestly maybe our own ministers didn't even know. Many EU rules put onto England did not apply to us if our MP's, and so called leaders, only had the guts to stop and so 'NO' but they didn't, was it because they had their hand in the gravy train of the EU? And didn't want to upset the EU. The virus vaccination of late with the EU has showed them up for what they are all about, and you have to wonder would they have been still like this had we still been a member, Personally I think they would have been.

Like 3      
01 Apr 2021 11:31 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I almost fell for it!

Happy April Fool's Day laugh

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Apr 2021 11:34 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

01 Apr 2021 2:00 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Thank you!

Whilst I suspect that the OP may have signed up and posted this question deliberately to provoke a reaction, and I know I should resist, I posted my reply because I have personally spoken to people who genuinely still don't realise that the answer to his question is basically, other than claim citizenship of the other 27 EU countries if eligible, there is nothing he can do other than hope the UK rejoins one day. By leaving the EU, the UK (which includes England btw) has unilaterally imposed "rules & conditions" on it's own citizens which simply did not exist before. As for rules & conditions that the EU forced on the UK (incl. England btw) that badly affected us, I've yet to hear of one that actually is true. Sadly, the public were simply lied to (ref: BJ "nothing will change regarding our freedom to live, work and travel in the EU"), and we all now have to live with the consequences.

As for "it was the EU that ended freedom of movement"....frown

Evidently this is complete nonsense, since citizens of the other 27 countries still enjoy freedom of movement within the EU.

Happy April Fool's day!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Apr 2021 3:22 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

The agreement with the EU is supposed to be reciprocal, so I'm surprised that apparently it's not an exact mirror image. 

As I understand the position EU folk can visit the UK for 180 days in any 365 day period.  Not 90 in any 180 as it is the other way around. 

The former would be better surely?

Like 0      
01 Apr 2021 4:41 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I can only presume Roberto that because you live in Spain 24/7 you don't have that much idea of just how many EU rules and regulations were imposed on us here in the UK, so quite pointless really to say you have yet to hear of one that is actually true. Over the past many years it is a lot, fair to say the general public for the most part took no notice, it can be quite hard to remember them, because most of us ignored them as and when. Perhaps your Part of Spain took notice and bowed down.

Like 1      
01 Apr 2021 4:49 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The 90 in 180 is a Schengen rule (and I think the few non-Schengen EU countries have the same rule) applying to all non-EU visitors. The UK was never a Schengen member, and as such was always free to set it's own rules. Having now taken back control (of what we never lost control of) the rule for EU (and other visa-free) nationals entering the UK is the same as it was before: they can stay for six months at a time. (Not 180 in 365 - if they leave and return a week later, they can stay another 6 months).

Presumably the UK is (and was) free to reciprocate and impose a 90 in 180 day rule, but as far as I know, has not decided to. I guess they would have to change the rules for non-EU citizens (e.g. U.S.) as well, or risk being accused of prejudice against the EU. (Maybe if enough Brexiters realise this and get angry enough about it, we'll get Brexit2 and it could change in the future).

I cannot think of any reason why the Shengen area would decide to change it's own rules as a result of the UK leaving the EU.

Mark Twain

Like 1      
01 Apr 2021 5:00 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Baz, I know it's hard to remember them all, especially as most of "you" ignored them (despite being so onerous), but I am nevertheless curious to know of any in particular that made your life so miserable.

I know one guy who used to own a bar in Spain. He is now back in the UK, (living on benefits, or as some might say, bleeding the system dry) and voted Leave, citing "all those bloody EU rules & regs when I had the bar in Spain" as his reason. I'm not sure how Brexit will make any difference to any (real or perceived) EU rules applying to bars in Spain, but presumably he feels happier now.  

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Apr 2021 6:01 PM by dmack Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Many thanks for your responses and I guess I'll have to go for the 90 days.

Apologies for creating such a contre temps! Someone suggested I posted the question to inflame the situation. Not at all completely genuine if a little naïve.

Sadly, politically we are were we are.

Enough now!!

Disfruta el fin de semana, David

Like 0      
01 Apr 2021 8:43 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Week Roberto, you got one thing correct, we / I did get many EU directives concerning my business and yes, I ignored, probably as many as I could, and thats not me being, as you put it 'Onerous', I can also confirm to you that being in the EU never ever, not once made my life miserable. So many impossible to remember them all, one that I do remember was that we were informed when doing an MOT advise faults as opposed to fail faults, of course not the drastic ones. Anyway it came about because the EU had some sort of system where they recorded the worse road worthy cars on the road within the EU, the UK didn't want to be seen as having to many failures, so did the UK follow suit or was it a direct order from the EU? Checking tow balls on tow bars was another. I know no one who came back and living on benefits, but I do know thats why the boat loads come here thanks to our fantastic benefit situation, which if you know how to work the system for many its better then a 40 hours a week job.

Like 2      
02 Apr 2021 1:17 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Did the UK follow suit or was it a direct order from the EU? You tell me. The interesting thing is, you openly admit to ignoring directives which I presume had been passed into UK law. I'm pleased that EU membership didn't "badly affect" your life, but a little sad to know that ultimately, as usual, it all comes down those "boat loads" of pesky forriners. Which brings us neatly back to the original subject of freedom of movement, so I'll leave it at that. Sorry, David, that you won't be spending 6 months in Spain next winter. Maybe try Florida?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Apr 2021 10:59 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Prior to Brexit what so called freedom of movement give the EU was Kiddy fiddler's / Rapist's and Murders a open door to move all over  the whole of the EU totally unchecked ..the UK was powerless to refuse entry to the crap of the EU due to EU rule's..to get into the UK now that we are free from the stupidity of the EU ..you need a criminal background check and so on.. now the freedom of movement brigade on this site are going to say that it was the UKs fault ..the UK was powerless to stop undesirables from the EU due to membership rule's.

Like 3      
02 Apr 2021 11:55 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Yes Windy, Jimmy would turn in his grave if he knew about BREXIT.

Like 1      
02 Apr 2021 1:01 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I rest my case crying

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Floor Clause win - 0 posts
hearing aids - 0 posts
La Tercia Village Murcia - 0 posts
Lack of Communication from Spanish Lawyers - 6 posts
looking to rent long term - 0 posts
Padron Update non EU Citizens - 4 posts
Costaluz Lawyers - 0 posts
Stanley Johnson Holidays? - 8 posts
A strong battle against Supreme Court´s recent interpretation of Law 57/68 we are in - 10 posts
Getting Your House Bills Electronically When Stuck In The UK - 8 posts
Pain Clinic - 2 posts
Driver and campervan required June/July for Spain to UK repatriation 1 person, 2 cats and luggage - 0 posts
Mapfre insurance - 4 posts
Law changed to protect the councils ? - 6 posts
Where to get permission to be out in curfew? - 0 posts
Costaluz lawyers return of Off plan deposit plus costs and interest - 1 posts
planning permission for a swimming pool ?. - 3 posts
Still Waiting......... - 6 posts
Benamara/Benavista Footbridge over A7 Highway - 0 posts
Money Transfers - 12 posts
Let me help you! Expat in Spain (Andalusia) - Anything that needs to be done on your property... - 0 posts
New-Build Property and Guarantee Insurance - 2 posts
Playa flamenca Jumilla complex - 4 posts
Non-Lucrative Residence Visa - 20 posts
3% retention - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 47

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x