Brexit

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Feb 2020 1:30 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

No that's the status quo right now with tariffs plus the free market of Europe. Britain trades with everyone. In the governments own figures free trade with China and the US after Brexit will not replace that of the free EU market. To trade freely with the US you need not just Federal approval but also each state requires separate treaties. Such treaties will involve rule taking that dwarfs that of the EU. Each US state has differing self interests.

Even if Britain suceeds in free trade with commonwealth nations it won't replace what it already enjoys with 39 nations around the world under current EU free trade treaties.

Brexit was a con straight and simple and folks fell for it because they believed they could prevent migration.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2020 3:15 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

No they didn't

Like 2      
04 Feb 2020 7:31 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hi guys thanks for hijacking a heartfelt thread and turning it into a bunch of political rants as per usual

Unfortunately, you should have known better than to start a thread with the B word in. The usuals start to rant amongst each other and the thread gets closed eventually. Shame, the forum used to provide good balanced info instead of rants and sarcasm that is seems to have descended into sad

Like 2      
04 Feb 2020 8:48 PM by RIVIERAESTATES Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Oh Mr Fish I'm very sorry for mentioning the word BREXIT but it was quite a significant moment in British History and we have had it rammed into our ears for Four years the word BREXIT 

At least the morning news is now more palatable even if it's now replaced with Harry and Megan's exploits.

🤣🤣

Like 2      
05 Feb 2020 8:42 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Politics and Brexit matter. It is the most important subject this generation will ever experience both in Britain and Europe. It may be that everyone has become weary of it. I know I have. The consequences of Brexit will have direct implications on all our lives for decades to come. 

The most dishonest statement made recently by politicians was that Brexit has now been done. It hasn't even started.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2020 9:20 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Wrong. The most dishonest statement was made by some politians that said they would respect the result of the referendum, although the exact opposite was true. Most of them got their P45's so lack of Brexit has impacted them, rightly so.

Like 4      
05 Feb 2020 1:14 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

It kind of feels normal to be called a Racist and a Bigot .. because you voted to leave the EU... personally I always thought that the 17 million  that voted to leave had been convinced by a big red bus...I really can't work this out as I am not a Racist or a Bigot ..and I only heard of this big red bus after the referendum was won by the vote leave campaign.

Like 2      
05 Feb 2020 4:16 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

"It's a moral question. It's about what kind of people we want to be".

Harold Macmillan 1972.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2020 5:38 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

As the U.K. is recognised by many Europeans as one of the MOST Liberal of countries, I'd say that answers

Harold Macs question.

Like 2      
05 Feb 2020 10:26 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Answer to Harold....Free People...

Like 1      
06 Feb 2020 8:27 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Hugh_man- As the U.K. is recognised by many Europeans as one of the MOST Liberal of countries, I'd say that answers

Harold Macs question.

After 47 years of full EU membership that's to be expected. The question now in 2020 is what kind of nation Britain will become in the next fifty years?.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2020 11:00 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Britain will become a free democratic nation

Like 3      
06 Feb 2020 1:17 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

That is something we will all have to learn to live with.yes

Like 0      
06 Feb 2020 4:38 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Britain is and has always been since the civil war a free democratic nation.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2020 5:44 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

MickyFinn

After 47 years of full EU membership that's to be expected. The question now in 2020 is what kind of nation Britain will become in the next fifty years?

No one can tell what any country or its people will become in 10 years, let alone 50.

The UK has become the nation it has by good and bad, slavery, exploitation but also democracy and fighting for what we believe in.

Many politicians were ready to vote for appeasement prior to WW2 but Churchill rallied the country and its people to fight for Democracy.

Becoming a member of the EEC improved European nations understanding and its trade, but for many in Europe now as well as in the UK the EU model is seen as flawed and one step too far.

No reason why we cannot remain friends and continue to trade and maybe the Elite or Bureaucrats such as failed domestic politicians who now sit on thrones in Brussels might just start to listen to European people and voters. Just look at the rise of the right wing in Europe NOT in the UK.

Like 4      
06 Feb 2020 8:20 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

@MickyFinn..."Britain is and has always been since the civil war a free democratic nation"

The civil war in UK was 1642-1651.

The UK industrial revolution was founded on wealth from the UK slave trade which was not abolished until the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833.

Britain did not become a democracy until the Representation of the People Acts of 1918 and 1928 that gave the vote to all men and women over the age of 21.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2020 9:00 PM by RIVIERAESTATES Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

MODERATORS 

Please remove my THREAD as it was not my intention for it to cause deep division between subscribers

Msny Thanks 

Like 1      
07 Feb 2020 8:31 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Parliament was restored after the civil war. I accept it was not the kind of democracy that we know today. You are correct is saying universal sufferage began after WW1 but women had to wait a little longer, 1928 to be precise.

The social and political values of Britain and the EU will I am certain to continue to be aligned in the years to come. The damage of Brexit to both sides will, however, take a long time to heal. I am certain the UK will re-apply for membership once it becomes clear leaving was a major political mistake. I say that with confidence because the young of Britain want to be part of a wider Europe. Not an inward longing for something that has long passed. 

Like 0      
07 Feb 2020 9:55 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Why can't you leave it Minky? The original poster has asked for this thread to be removed but you keep it going.

Like 2      
07 Feb 2020 11:35 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Freedom. smiley

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

amazon firestick - 17 posts
Will the Supreme Court grant Consumer Law status to Law 57/68 debate? - 2 posts
Tax rebate for British Erasmus student - 2 posts
All won cases by CostaLuz Lawyers-- off plan refunds and Floor Clause-- so far in 2020 - 0 posts
All won cases by Costaluz Lawyers-- off plan refunds--in 2019 - 0 posts
sparkey clarkey electrician - 1 posts
CGT - 5 posts
Taxes as an online teacher - 5 posts
Becoming an estate agent - 13 posts
bank charges - 5 posts
Planning bathroom upgrade should a bathroom fan be considered - 6 posts
Moving to Spain because of BREXIT - 8 posts
Alicante airport fire - 2 posts
Holiday home in Almeria - 4 posts
Garden Rubbish - 15 posts
healthcare working in Gib living in Spain - 6 posts
Mercadona Renovations - 4 posts
Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Joining two Apartments together in an Apartment Block - 7 posts
Security advice, please - 2 posts
Which area to live in Spain - 4 posts
How do I get my apartment back? - 12 posts
Does anyone actually understand reclaiming Witholding Tax on Share Dividends if you are a UK resident - 30 posts
Bank´s liability on custody of off plan funds - 56 posts
Merry Christmas from CostaLuz Lawyers - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 41

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x