Can you purchase a used car and obtain insurance in Spain with a United States drivers license Without owning property?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jul 2019 11:47 AM by Caprius Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I am in Marbella searching for property and meanwhile tired of renting cars from expensive car rental agencies. I know I will be staying here long term and would like to avoid paying for car rental by purchasing a car as soon as possible. Can anyone help me to answer the question above, whether I can buy and obtain proper insurance with just my passport, NIE number and a United States drivers license?

Like 0      
06 Jul 2019 12:05 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hi there Caprius

A bit of a long shot but have you tried enquiring at some insurance companies?

Like 0      
06 Jul 2019 4:03 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Good Afternoon

Here is all you need to know on this one website

https://www.worldfirst.com/uk/blog/your-money/living-abroad/buying-a-car-in-spain/

Good Luck

Nigel

Like 0      
06 Jul 2019 10:22 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Sorry Nigel188, that doesn't answer his question at all and quite a few things wrong with it. I think it is referring to EU citizens not 3rd countries like the USA.

It doesn't mention he will need an IDP, it says you have to carry a spare tyre (not for several years since they started supplying cars with sticky blow up stuff). It says you need residency (then goes on to describe the padron) which you can't get in many places unless you take up residency.

For insurance, Kavanagh has it spot on and he should simply ask the insurance company.

ETA
I'm assuming he has a long term stay visa.

This message was last edited by mariedav on 06/07/2019.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2019 12:57 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

NIE

Padron Registration

International Driving license

should suffice for your purpose

Cheers

M

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 1      
03 May 2023 7:52 AM by TannerCisneros Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello folks. Apologies for bumping the old thread. I moved to Spain 20 years ago, but now I'd like to move to the US. I'll need a car there, and actually, I've already found one, but it's in LA, and I'm gonna live in Houston. Is there any service in the US that ships cars from state to state? I'd be very grateful for your help. By the way, could you also guide me on using Spain driving license in the US and what I should do to get the US one. Thank you!

Like 0      
03 May 2023 10:28 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

Suppose you have thought about putting in your search engine US state to state shipping of cars, and while you are at it  did you also ask the same seach engine about your Spanish licence being used in the USA and how to get a new one for use in the USA.

Be interesting to know what you came up with.

Like 0      
04 May 2023 7:32 AM by KeenanHayden Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

No worries about bumping an old thread. I'm new here too. Regarding your question, there are definitely car shipping companies that can transport your car from LA to Houston. Some popular ones include Shipaa and uShip. Just be sure to do your research and read reviews about those auto shipping companies before choosing one. As for your driver's license, you'll need to check with the specific state's DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) to see if they accept your Spanish license. Some states may require you to take a written and/or driving test to obtain a US license.

This message was last edited by KeenanHayden on 5/8/2023.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2023 10:53 PM by TimotyBrady Star rating in California. 1 posts Send private message

TimotyBrady´s avatar

Yes, it is possible to purchase a used car and obtain insurance in Spain with a United States driver's license, even without owning property. However, the specific requirements and process may vary depending on the insurance company and the region in Spain where you are located.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2023 12:13 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

You will need a address to  own a car in Spain...you will also need something like a utility bill or Escutura/ Rental contract in your name...

Like 0      
08 Jul 2023 12:56 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Windy is correct. A hotel will be sufficient.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What Power do the community Magament have - 14 posts
Registered Club Bank Account in Spain - 0 posts
Community Charges - Finding the person who manages the accounts - 5 posts
Bank account commission in Spain to be capped at €3 a month - 14 posts
Volunteer assistants - 1 posts
COMMUNITY FALSE ROOFS IN APARTMENT BLOCKS - 2 posts
spanish car reregistered in germany. now need to deregister in spain. - 1 posts
Are Holiday Rental Sites Safe - 4 posts
Water Company (help) - 6 posts
LOOKING FOR LONG TERM RENTAL WITH INDOOR POOL - 2 posts
Will - 5 posts
Spanish utility bills paid from UK Bank. - 4 posts
obtaining hearing aids - 11 posts
Moving to Nerja and finding a school - 3 posts
Spain’s monumental glut of new homes is still massive - 75 posts
No escritura for EMASA - 21 posts
NEW SPANISH MORTGAGE LAW - 13 posts
Case won by Costs Luz Lawyers - 2 posts
airbnb in Majorca - 0 posts
Costaluz lawyers - 0 posts
Full list of cases won by Costaluz-DeCastro in 2019 - 0 posts
Two Recently Won Cases against banks at the Supreme Court by CostaLuz Lawyers and DeCastro teams - 10 posts
Executors/Probate - 6 posts
Somewhere not too hot! - 5 posts
Can they really do this? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x