Who should be next UK PM?

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jun 2019 8:54 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Like 1      
29 Jun 2019 9:24 AM by perrypower1 Star rating in Derbyshire/Fuerteven.... 647 posts Send private message

perrypower1´s avatar

It is only going to be a summer job anyway.

Like 1      
29 Jun 2019 1:29 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

Goodness Mickeyfinn have you not seen the current risks posed by Italy’s debt where the suggestion has been made that this is far greater than any threat from Brexit?

Do you not recognise that countries who lack the ability to devalue their own currency, when required, are being compromised? And the benefactors to these massive debts are the Banks who have sadly trapped nations such as Greece and Italy into a web of debt payments that will take generations to pay off?

Look to Iceland who regained control of their economy...and had an agreement with the EU, and has access to no roaming charges, also

Who needs a visa to work in EuropeCitizens of the USA, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, as well as EU citizens do not need to apply for a work visa to Europe. However, upon arriving at the country where they will be working, they have to apply for their residence and work permit.26 Oct 2018”

So what’s the problem with getting permits if citizens from countries outside the EU but with EU agreements in place, intend to reside or work? Doesn’t this act as good controls for the recipient nations ( with all the benefits of minimising division and distrust), to accept only those who prove they have work to come to, or meet residence criteria? 

There is so much ignorance of the wider perspectives here and the high price paid by innocent citizens by comparison to  gains. Plus you appear to demonstrate such negativity associated with coming out of the EU in terms of not recognising the potential for good ongoing relations ( mutually beneficial arrangements) with the EU .

As for solidarity and cooperation do you not see the cooperation achieved from agreements, nor the impact on solidarity from the intransigence and failure of the EU to reform treaty arrangements?

Like 1      
29 Jun 2019 2:10 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Italian debt is a problem but does not represent any threat to the stability of the EU. I know the anti-EU faction would have you believe otherwise but I would argue even Brexit itself will not weaken the continual forward momentum of the European project..

Theres little doubt in my view Britain will seriously struggle outside the block. Especially if it leaves without a deal. Slashing taxes and regulations will change the country considerably. Trading tariffs will increase inflation as Sterling crashes even lower. 

Iceland is an EEA and a Schengen member, a free movement customs union nation with strong ties to the community. You will find that UK citizens with third nation status post Brexit with no agreements in place will seriously struggle to gain work and residency permits in the EU. Required income levels are very high.

There are no benefits from what I expect is inevitable progress for Britain towards disaster. The British people will learn the realities soon enough. It will take time but the EU can wait. The successful project has only been running for fifty odd years the long game is what it plays.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2019 3:46 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

I wish Micky you had come on this forum before the UK had the vote.

You know what will happen when we leave.

You know every pitfall that the UK will suffer if we leave.

You know how the EU will still be strong when we leave.

You know the EU wont suffer like the UK will.

For the want of big words to explain what I mean, you know just about everything that will happen even though nothing so far has happened.

If only everyone had a Micky like we do, life would be put on the straight and narrow before anything happened.

Oh well never no mind.

Like 2      
29 Jun 2019 4:10 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Well like everyone else it is only my opinion having spent so long involved in the subject. It's really not that difficult to foresee the concequences. Most people are able to understand that. The politics are the things that mask the truths. 

Like 0      
29 Jun 2019 5:23 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Like 1      
30 Jun 2019 3:39 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

More wider realities to address I’m afraid.

Something being debated on another thread appears to require many who sing the praises of the EU Commission to take stark note of , in terms of some uncomfortable realities now being noted in Ireland ( and has relevance to Spain).

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/opinion-sound-the-alarm-a-proposed-eu-directive-on-bad-loans-will-give-the-vulture-funds-a-free-rein-4451105-Jan2019/

Important to therefore choose a UK leader committed to remove us from this form of EU directive, and ensure we as citizens and a country, retain control to regain a balance to protect citizens rights and address rightful concerns that have led to distrust and disillusionment.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2019 4:34 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

the idea that the tories want stricter financial regulations thean the EU is preposterous . It's precisely to escape regulations that they are pushing for leaving the EU. Also read "getting rid of red tape" as getting rid of health and safety regulations and employment protection for British workers. 

Like 0      
30 Jun 2019 4:56 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

The EU Commission didn’t  appear to be demonstrating protection when they came up with this directive did they?

On what basis other than political tribal rhetoric do you base your observations about this specific scenario?

The advent of the internet is making Govt accountability far more likely and the debates to date imply they are learning at least some lessons to gain a more balanced economy and address inequality issues, but from a perspective of growing the economy to afford better services etc.

The electorate have already demonstrated their preference not to leave control with the EU which should be respected, and thereafter the UK electorate will no doubt gain accountability from their politicians in the usual democratic national processes, without having their hands tied behind their backs by compromising EU directives that significantly impact UK citizens.

The aspects to be more focused on, perhaps, is how ALL national governments address the problems of large corporarions and regulating the financial industry where appropriate, when the EU Commission appear to be moving in a different direction. 

This message was last edited by ads on 30/06/2019.

This message was last edited by ads on 30/06/2019.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2019 6:44 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

The EU Commission does not act independently of their national member governments. There is an extensive consultation process before directives are issued. It is quite wrong to suggest otherwise.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2019 7:32 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Around and around again and again....

Like 0      
30 Jun 2019 7:51 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

You seem to delight in making unfriendly posts Jarvi - is there a purpose behind doing so?

It's good to hear different opinions - that's what this forum is about.

Like 1      
30 Jun 2019 9:00 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

So you are in support of this EU agreement with this directive that appears to work against citizens Mickeyfinn?

Like 0      
30 Jun 2019 9:57 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Acer

Except they are not different opinions. They are exactly the same opinions again, and again etc etc. I have no time for people who do not and will not accept a democratic choice of the majority of the people of the UK, and are trying their damndest to overturn it, especially when some of the said people do not live in the UK and have not done so for many years. If people wish to live abroad that is their choice and good luck to them but they should not try to overturn the choice that the majority of those of us live in the UK have made. (They could for instance do what a very good friend of mine has done and give up their UK rights and live happily in the country of their choice). BTW - This forum I believe was set up to help people with questions or queries about living, working or buying in Spain, not as a politcal platform for anti brexit debates, If I am wrong about that I am sure the Admins will correct me, or as they have had to do about 3 times in the past with Brexit forums - Lock the thread.

Like 1      
30 Jun 2019 10:32 PM by perrypower1 Star rating in Derbyshire/Fuerteven.... 647 posts Send private message

perrypower1´s avatar

It's old news Ads and why shouldn't investors be allowed to protect their investment.  I have every sympathy for people who fall on bad times but if National Governments are not going to bail out the debtors why should I an investor suffer.  

Jarvi why don't you just ask to have the thread locked as it does not suit the narrative you want to force on the rest of us.  

Like 0      
30 Jun 2019 10:57 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Jarvi repeats the untruth that !the majority of people living in the UK voted to leave. No. The true measure of the leave vote amounted to only 37% of the registered electorate. I accept that this marginally exceeded the number who voted to remain, but , ignoring for now the lies and distortions which were put before the electorate in 2016, the problem remains that the measure of those registered electors who did not bother to vote have been ignored. OK maybe they should have got off their arses and voted. But in seeking to change such a dramatic matter there were almost certainly a substantial majority of those who were quite satisfied with EU membership and thought that the result would be obvious. Voting matters! Maybe future elections will produce a more active response.

All plebiscites should have a mimimum winning measure of 50.001% of the registered electorate, or perhaps a compulsory turnout. Cameron and his stupid advisors failed the nation. Not for the first, nor the last, time.

This message was last edited by marcbernard on 30/06/2019.

Like 2      
01 Jul 2019 8:39 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Javi. I am British by birth and a European by choice. Brexit is a European issue and directly impacts the future of the European project which I support both with my time, energy and financial contribution. Should I not have a say? I also happen to pay tax in Britain on my financial interests there. 

It is ludicrous to suggest because I live in Europe I should not participate and support the democratic debate for the UK to remain in the EU. I am also a paid-up member of the Liberal Democrats who are quite happy for my support and which is legal under £500 per annum. I can vote on Lib Dem policy issues but sadly not national referendums or elections. Another failed manifesto promise of the Tories

Like 0      
01 Jul 2019 9:15 AM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

Perrypower,

I’m confused.... when mortgages are sold on to vulture funders who appear to be unregulated, should the mortgage holder not be informed and have the right to refuse the selling on of their mortgage?

I would be interested in terms of the remaining campaigners for PM leadership to know how they stand in terms of protecting citizens in the longer term from a reoccurrence of the financial crash and how they intend to address the regulation of vulture funders in this regard?

Perhaps we should all be writing to our MPs ( via http://www.writetothem.com) to bring this article to their attention and ask in the event of Brexit how they intend to regulate and protect mortgage holders in this regard?

This message was last edited by ads on 01/07/2019.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2019 12:30 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I would be interested in terms of the remaining campaigners for PM leadership to know how they stand in terms of protecting citizens in the longer term from a reoccurrence of the financial crash and how they intend to address the regulation of vulture funders in this regard?

Boris Johnson has said publically he intends to remove most regulations and "red tape" post-Brexit. So good luck with expecting Tories to regulate vulture funds or the financial industry. They simply won't do it.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | Next |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

How much notice does a landlord need to give - 13 posts
Costaluz won cases in 2019 - 2 posts
OAPs dependants allowance - 7 posts
how things have changed over the years.. - 2 posts
CASARES del SOL - Court Case Won - 0 posts
Tax refund Mistake - 25 posts
Are your agents giving your property the best? - 6 posts
Hi everyone - 1 posts
Relationship split but joint owned property - 12 posts
Administrator - 3 posts
Car transport to Spain - 6 posts
Legal house on "suelo no urbanizable" - 10 posts
Driving to spain - 31 posts
What buisness would be good idea. (Legally ) - 2 posts
Power of Attorney - 5 posts
Fuerteventura bank account - 2 posts
swimming pool construction - 0 posts
Retiral - 15 posts
area recomendations - 5 posts
Fight keeps going! Costaluz Lawyers won cases in 2018 and 2019 - 34 posts
Problems with a builder - 22 posts
Court Advice - 2 posts
25 Brexit need to knows ( Martin Lewis) - 94 posts
Maria de Castro in Alcaidesa - 2 posts
Ron - 17 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 373

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x