Retiral

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Apr 2019 5:49 PM by Janamac Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi, I am hoping to take early retirement in the next few years, move to Spain and live off my savings until my state pension kicks in. Is there a minimum annual income required to relocate to Spain?

Thanks

Janamac

This message was last edited by Janamac on 29/04/2019.

This message was last edited by Janamac on 29/04/2019.

Like 1      
29 Apr 2019 8:07 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Are you from an EU country (eg, Britain at the moment).

If so then the amount required is around the average pension or 600 euro per person per month, Some of the places you apply for residency quote different amounts but that is what you should aim for. Some also require 3 months payments of that amount before you can apply for residency and it seems (for some unfathomable reason) each office has its own level. It's almost as if they don't want people to become residents.

If not an EU citizen then the amount is considerably higher at around 30,000 a year plus extra for each family member. Of course, as we are about to leave the EU the figures might (or might not) change.

You will also require private health insurance to cover at least the first year. This can be very expensive especially if you have any pre-existing conditions.

Saying all that, loads of people do move here on a permanent basis and get over all the hurdles.

Good luck and welcome to EOS.

Like 1      
29 Apr 2019 9:02 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

To be precise for this year the amounts are:-

369.69€ p.m. 5,175.60€ p.a. for a single person
628.83€ p.m. 8,803.62€ p.a. for a couple

NB The annual amounts are 14 X the monthly amounts as it usual in Spain to receive 14 wage payments etc. per year.

The amounts are those which Spain has ruled are the amounts below which one can claim supplementary income benefits. Thus if they are sufficient for Spaniards to live on they cannot by EU law discriminate against other EU nationals.

As Mariedav says ‘’It's almost as if they don't want people to become residents.’’ So loads of people do move here on a permanent basis and never bother becoming resident.

Like 1      
30 Apr 2019 8:55 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Once the UK leaves the EU; which could actually happen on 31st October this year, without the two year transition period Britain becomes a third nation-state. It might be helpful if you do some research on the conditions for residency in Spain for such countries. See link below.

Since Britain has made it clear EU nations will not be given preferential treatment for migration post-Brexit. So unless that policy changes reciprocal arrangements will apply for British people seeking residency in the EU. An income figure of £30K has been fixed by the British government in their Brexit policies for EU nationals moving to Britain after withdrawal. There are currently also other bureaucratic hoops to jump through such as submitting documents and your fingerprints to enable criminal record checks.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/third-country-nationals-in-spain-stay-visit-or-residency/

Like 1      
30 Apr 2019 9:53 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

For non EU nationals around 27,000€ per year income is required 

For EU nationals I am informed “that the income required  has gone up for 2019 to:-

457€  for a single person and

846€ for a couple

(I cannot at the moment confirm that)

This message was last edited by johnzx on 30/04/2019.

Like 1      
30 Apr 2019 11:51 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

John. That figure of €27k is for an individual. Each additional family member requires around €7k each. Post Brexit legal retirements for the average Brit. in Spain effectively will end the option. Or many will simply not apply for residency. However, state healthcare requires residency so it is not going to be such an easy option.

Like 2      
30 Apr 2019 1:44 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

€27k seems a realistic figure and I do not see why any Brit would object. Why would any Brit leave benefits paradise and give up free NHS to live somewhere they cannot afford unless they are intending a life of crime?

Like 1      
30 Apr 2019 5:35 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

€34k for a couple is a realistic income to live in another country assuming no receipt of state benefits. That begs the question of why as an EU citizen it's acceptable to have substantially less? 

Like 1      
30 Apr 2019 6:01 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Oh come on Mickyfinn you know the EU citizens figure is Micky Mouse based on state benefits entitlement and imposed by EU law. You surprise me making such a statement.

This thread is not BREXIT.

Like 1      
30 Apr 2019 7:07 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I can't deny it was a rhetorical question, Kavanagh. Brexit is relevant to all residency issues at the moment. British people as EU citizens intent on retiring to Spain or other EU destinations had some advantages likely to be lost. That's essentially my point.

Like 1      
30 Apr 2019 8:31 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Fair enough Mickyfinn, I accept that some benefits and privileges’ maybe lost if the UK ever leaves the EU, but wherever a person freely chooses to emigrate to they should ensure they have the financial resources to do so. The current financial requirements for EU citizens to gain residency in Spain are no more than a joke and reflect what some parts of EU laws and rulings are little more than a laugh, and that maybe why some British want out.

This message was last edited by Kavanagh on 01/05/2019.

Like 1      
02 May 2019 9:05 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Regarding the minimum income required by an EU national to obtain EU Citizen Registration 

i quoted figures which I took from another post which I believed would have been correct, however, I have just spoken to the Officer in charge of an Extranjeria:  These are the current amounts:-

A single person 370 € per month or 5,170 per year

A couple 627 per month or 8,800 per year

They are from the government’s instructions to all Extranjerias, and apply everywhere.  Thus if you should have any problems with any Extranjeria suggesting you need more, quote the official figures and if necessary ask for (demand) the complaints forms 

This message was last edited by johnzx on 02/05/2019.

Like 1      
05 May 2019 12:22 AM by MagicWriter2015 Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

We recently got residencia in Murcia province and had to have €9,000 in bank, that was for the two of us and was never asked about health cover. We are EU citizens still until UK can get their act together!

Like 1      
05 May 2019 9:39 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Spain is one country but has autonomous regional governments who often interpret national and EU laws independently. You also find some civil servants who process the paper sometimes act inconsistently. The best thing to do in my experience is to understand the procedures yourself then stand your ground if they argue something else. However, that requires good language skills, tact and diplomacy. Remember for functionaries face-saving is everything.

Like 0      
05 May 2019 9:57 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

But Micky what could there possibly be to argue about?

Like 0      
05 May 2019 10:18 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Magic  

The money you needed was just about what I said

As for the medical cover either you misunderstood something, the person who processed your papers made a mistake, or as it appears you may have a U.K. government benefit allowance that was sufficient to prove you have medical cover from U.K.   

“A couple  627 per month or 8,800 per year  OR SAVINGS OF THAT AMOUNT 

These are from the government’s instructions to all Extranjerias, and apply everywhere.  Thus if you should have any problems with any Extranjeria suggesting you need more, quote the official figures and if necessary ask for (demand) the complaints forms”

This message was last edited by johnzx on 05/05/2019.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 05/05/2019.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

area recomendations - 5 posts
Fight keeps going! Costaluz Lawyers won cases in 2018 and 2019 - 34 posts
Problems with a builder - 22 posts
Court Advice - 2 posts
25 Brexit need to knows ( Martin Lewis) - 94 posts
Maria de Castro in Alcaidesa - 2 posts
Ron - 17 posts
Love spain - 5 posts
Alcaidesa, Sotogrande, San Roque, Estepona, Tarifa, Alcalá, San Pablo, Jimena, Gaucín... - 3 posts
NIE - 3 posts
Mortgage problems with Sabadell Bank? - 0 posts
Today´s European Commission - Press release on ‘No-deal' Brexit preparedness - 0 posts
NIE new form - 3 posts
Traffic Fines - Phishing scam - 3 posts
Help - Father passed away - can't get money from Bank - 7 posts
Game of Thrones Season 8 - 3 posts
Short-term rental contract help - 2 posts
Big valuations of the past are favourable for you now if you want to sell your Spanish property - 0 posts
Abandoned Villages in Spain: come and buy one! - 0 posts
Is the EU responsible for Brexit chaos - 207 posts
New to the community! - 1 posts
Finding a reliable contractor - 5 posts
itv - 4 posts
NIE number online? - 1 posts
Firstone.tv shut down - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x