Post BREXIT residency for UK nationals

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Nov 2018 10:29 AM by Feeg Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

After the UK leaves the EU there are new residency requirements for UK citizens.

We have lived here for over 5 years, paid taxes every year, registered on the Padron, and bough property, and have a A4 NIE, and on the Spain govt medical, plus our own private medical.

Do we have to go through the new proceedures and re-register for PR ? 

Like 0      
16 Nov 2018 11:08 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Now thats a tricky question that even the UK government wont know an honest answer to.

Like 0      
16 Nov 2018 11:20 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Feeg    

I assume you mean you have EU citizen registration, that is the green piece of paper,  either credit card size or A4

Until there is a resolution no one knows what will happen           

Like 0      
16 Nov 2018 11:42 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

There is some useful detail on this government web site:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-for-british-nationals-travelling-and-living-in-europe#progress-in-the-negotiations---citizens-rights-agreement

These agreements are reciprocal so you can assume they apply on paper at least to all EU countries. They are all dependent on the Brexit agreement announced this week by Teresa May being approved by the UK Parliament in a vote probably by18th December.

If that fails Britain faces either leaving on 29th March without a deal or withdrawing article 50. If the country leaves without a deal all agreements so far established fall. That includes everything written in the link I have posted. After that nobody including the EU commission or the UK government has a clue what will happen.

It's safe to say lives for expats putting it mildly will face some disruption.

Like 0      
16 Nov 2018 12:16 PM by dbd Star rating. 63 posts Send private message

I have lived here for two years have a small business here but am married to a Spaniard. I have an NIE number taken out with a British passport. I also own a house, car etc (including business) all obtained with this NIE number  although I also have an Irish passport. Does anybody know what the implications of a no deal Brexit wold mean for me and my family. Could the Spaish authorities make me close the business for what ever reason or worse?

Like 0      
16 Nov 2018 12:36 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I doubt it with an Irish passport you are a EU citizen and enjoy all those rights. Lucky you.

In a no deal scenario it would be up to the Spanish government if it would honour all current UK residents rights. Britain would be a third country and as such UK expats would need to conform to the rules governing that class of people. ie: Visas, private healthcare; et all.

It's hard to see the Spanish government not honouring established rights for Brits after no deal. Especially if Britan does the same for Spanish people living in UK. However legislation would be needed in both these parliaments to establish legality and that takes time. Meanwhile the uncertainty continues.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2018 10:40 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

DBD.

I took up my right to my Irish passport a few years ago. Before there was the idea of  Brexit 

I had lived in Spain over 20 years.  

I applied for a replacement EU REG CERT (green paper)   It now shows I am Irish.

There was no problem changing the nationality on the registration.  I am sure you will have no problem.  Just renew your registration now using your Irish passport

Like 0      
17 Nov 2018 11:18 AM by Feeg Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

I appreciate these replies, but should state I am not an Irish citizen, as my name may confuse. I am a British Citizen, born in UK, 'tho Irish descent somewhere in the past.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2018 12:17 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

There is a good reply from Mariadav on the other thread entitled 'Brexit Draft Agreement.' It details your status as a UK citizen living in the EU during the transition period.post Brexit. If you cannot exercise your Irish decendant rights and become an EU citizen these rules will apply. However if the deal is voted down Brexit reverts to a cliff edge exit and then who knows.

I'm surprised how little debate there is on this forum about Brexit. Perhaps people are bored to death with it. I know I am.  

Like 1      
17 Nov 2018 7:16 PM by dbd Star rating. 63 posts Send private message

Hi Johnzx when you reapplied for your NIE with a new passport did they change the NIE number.?

Like 0      
18 Nov 2018 10:34 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

DVB.

No,  I still have the one I was assigned when the NIE Registration was first introduced. 

Changing one’s nationality, just like changing one’s address does not change who you are.   

PS   DVB.  To make an appointment to apply for, renew, up date, etc ones paperwork, can now only be done online.  It is not straightforward   This might help :-
As you proceed you will find links to information you may need to know, including what forms, paperwork, etc. are required.  

Good luck !

GO TO:-
https://sede.administracionespublicas.gob.es/icpplus.  (

after each selection enter Aceptar )

•             PROVINCES AVAILABLE:       CHOOSE YOURS

•             SECTIONS AVAILABLE IN PROVINCE:    OPEN PAGE AND SELECT SECTION  REQUIRED
              e.g.    “policía  certificado de residente o no residente”  (that includes NIE application)

•             ENTER THE DETAILS OF APPLICANT

•            CHOOSE NATIONAL POLICE STATION FOR APPOINTMENT:    That wilL be the one that covers the area where you are living/staying                                                                
•             CHOOSE APPOINTMENT,  AND THEN CONFIRM

•             PRINT A COPY OF THE APPOINTMENT,   IF YOU WISH

PS.   this is my interpretation of what to do, so if you have problems using it please PM me so that I can fix it.  Thanks. John.  

This message was last edited by johnzx on 21/11/2018.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 21/11/2018.

Like 2      
08 Jan 2019 12:23 PM by ehw Star rating in Western end of the C.... 59 posts Send private message

In reply to DBD

I just read your comment made on 16 Nov where you say you are married to a Spaniard and you have both an Irish passport and a British one. I've been resident here since 1982 and as I'm married to a Spaniard I have the same rights as her. I'm now wondering what to do, I'm still hoping that Brexit will be cancelled.

I could apply for a Spanish passport, I have a right to it, but I would have to sign a document declaring that I have renounced all other nationalities, Spain only accepts dual nationality with countries it once ruled.

Apparently Spain does not check or is not able to check that you have actually done so but if you are found to have more than one passport your Spanish passport will be cancelled.

To get the Spanish passport you will have to show that you can communicate in Spanish and that you know something about Spanish history, culture etc. In my case it's not a problem but you've only been here for 2 years.

My advice would be to start using your Irish passport and get your residencia updated ASAP, it's by far the easist way to retain freedom of movement if Brexit goes ahead and other people commenting here have said that getting your nationality changed on the residencia is not a problem.

Good luck!

Like 0      
08 Jan 2019 12:53 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In 2010 I discovered I had been Irish all my life despite being born in London 

That was because my mother was born in Ulster 

At that time Irish PP’s were free for the over 65’s.  

Having got my Irish PP I changed my EU Citiizens Registration to Irish   My new green paper certificate now shows nationality as Irish 

I did not renew my British PP when it expired

i have not experienced any problems and when I used my Irish PP to visit U.K. I received a very warm and friendly welcome at the immigration desk

This message was last edited by johnzx on 08/01/2019.

Like 0      
08 Jan 2019 3:51 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Essential advise as per gov.uk site: 

"make sure you’re correctly registered as resident in Spain"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
08 Jan 2019 6:01 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Will the fact that I was born in London from a North Devon Father and lived in North Devon and had a Spanish Great Grandmother and now living in Essex on the Suffolk border and being married to an East German Lady stop me from living in Spain when the time comes....On the other hand who cares, I dont.

Like 4      
08 Jan 2019 10:20 PM by ehw Star rating in Western end of the C.... 59 posts Send private message

" who cares, I dont"

** EDITED - Against forum rules - inciting**

This message was last edited by ehw on 08/01/2019.

This message was last edited by ehw on 08/01/2019.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 1/9/2019 8:21:00 AM.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2019 5:27 PM by adatherton Star rating in Playa Blanca, Lanzar.... 3 posts Send private message

adatherton´s avatar

The OP has an Irish passport, so Brexit will not affect him.

For us Brits who don't, it could be a problem. I own a house and am just extranjero with an NIE, my girlfriend runs a bar and is residencia. We don't know if she will still have the right be an autonomo. We don't speak good Spanish and don't want to give up our British nationality.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2019 6:03 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Where does it say the OP has a Irish passport?

I don’t and it doesn’t bother me one bit.

Like 2      
11 Jan 2019 6:05 PM by ehw Star rating in Western end of the C.... 59 posts Send private message

I object strongly to being punished for criticising the following comment. It is an insult to the intelligence of the majority of contributors to EyeOnSpain. THAT is my opinion & I think it is fair comment. I HAVE complained & have been ignored.

08 Jan 2019 18:01 by baz1946

Will the fact that I was born in London from a North Devon Father and lived in North Devon and had a Spanish Great Grandmother and now living in Essex on the Suffolk border and being married to an East German Lady stop me from living in Spain when the time comes....On the other hand who cares, I dont.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2019 1:40 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Hi. .....I didn't see your comment..... Which I am sure could have been a valid one, so why don't you send me a email via the system explaining your grievances.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

Brexit Draft Agreemment - 2 posts
Copia Simple problems - 1 posts
Don't know what to do - 4 posts
Supreme Court rulings - ongoing concerns - 2 posts
IRPH - waiting for outcome - 3 posts
looking to start or join a rambling club at corvera probably next year - 0 posts
Bank Repossessions Again - 86 posts
Any news - 0 posts
Computer Printer - 4 posts
Seat Leon FR 2007 for sale - 2 posts
Repairs for an Ariston built in Microwave - 0 posts
what are the implications of denouncing someone? - 0 posts
Is a community pool a "Luxury" - 4 posts
Non Resident Tax - 3 posts
HID headlights - 0 posts
Foreign graduate student - UAM - 2 posts
Petition for Supreme Court decission on Mortgage Stamp Duty Tax - 6 posts
Hello everybody - 1 posts
building merchants in Huercal Overa - 0 posts
Keeping our GB car in spain, although only being used when on two week holiday - 15 posts
Fuente de piedra - 0 posts
Going private with a prostate - 6 posts
Autónomo vs private . Fair is fair - 6 posts
Hi - 3 posts
HOLDAY RENTA;L - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x