Weather gripe

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Mar 2018 5:17 PM by oliverson Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

So, I've had a place in Costa-del-sol for well over a decade now but not spent much time there throughout the winter until this year.  Coming up for 3 months now and I have to say I'm struggling to understand why old folk come here.  Sure, the climate is better than the UK for example, but really, there must be better places to go, unless the weather this year has been extraordinary.  Haven't seen much of the sun or felt the supposed average winter temperatures of 19 degrees of whatever.  All I've really experienced is endless rain and strong winds.  Is this normal?

Like 0      
19 Mar 2018 5:34 PM by christineinseville Star rating in Pruna (Seville) and .... 25 posts Send private message

This has been a freakishly bad winter in Spain, never before have I needed heating on during the day. The relentless rain is making everything damp and ut feels dresry and depressing.

Not normal weather, either in Spain or in UK. (I blame Trump)

Like 0      
19 Mar 2018 6:34 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Maybe different on the Costa del Sol but it's been, in general, lovely here on the Costa Blanca. Mainly sun and we've had temperatures in the 20s for lots of the time. No heating on for a lot of the time although we have had some cold weather which has necessitated it but the exception to the rule. Yes, it has gone down to 11 or 12 some days but certainly didn't last long.

Hardly any rain and, when we have had it, it's been at night and can only remember a couple of days when it rained in the daytime. 

And why do pensioners come here in the Winter? You have been looking at the weather in the UK haven't you? Arctic winds, "Beast from the East" with "danger of death" warnings. Hundreds of flights cancelled and yet another warning of snow and ice over Easter. I think they went through every name they could think of from Brian through Emma and Fionn. Blizzard conditions and troops called in to help.

No, thank you. 

Like 0      
19 Mar 2018 7:52 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Its been cold over here yes, and the worst climate is always from January through March.

But the temperatures have been around 9 or 10 in Yorkshire aside from the cold snaps Mari is talking about.

But, dressed in the correct clothes, its absolutely wonderful to be out and about in, and the kids have loved some sledging and building snowmen and the like.   Its getting warmer now, the days getting longer, sun getting higher, we can grow any vegetables we need all year.   Have plenty of warming stews, yorkshire puddings, a glass or two of beer, wine or whatever takes your fancy.

No, every country has its up sides and down sides, but 'oh to be in England now that spring is here' is just round the corner.   

Best wishes, Brian

Like 2      
19 Mar 2018 9:20 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Well, I sit in sunny Wales for a few days, having left my smallholding in Extremadura on Friday (via Madrid) where it's been raining 24/7 for the last three weeks....over 1 500 mm of rain in my rain gauge. Our dams have all gone from empty to full, and the local river, the Tajo, is looking wonderfully swollen. Don't talk to me tourist claptrap about endless rain equating to bad weather...the country needs the rain...and all are celebrating.

Like 4      
20 Mar 2018 10:42 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Briando.

You must be in the warmest place in Yorkshire. Here in West Yorkshire the daytime temperatures have mostly been around 4 or 5 degrees maximum except when we got the dreaded beasts coming in. I think we have had about 10 days since the New Year where the temperature has reached 9 or 10. I was fortunate to spend a week in Murcia in February and had no rain, maximum of 19 degrees and minimum of 14 degrees during the day. Back to Spain for me in a couple of weeks to get some warm sunshine on my bones.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2018 11:19 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 804 posts Send private message

It is a very strong and biting breeze in my area of Murcia. Has been for most of this month with constant mini showers. Blue sky at the moment though. 

Not as bad as the recent weather on CDS that caused friends to cut short their holiday because of the constant torrential downpour. 

Weird weather world wide this year ..it seems...

Like 0      
20 Mar 2018 11:36 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

In 1989 it rained constantly and every day on the Costa de la Luz for 10 weeks. Local said the monsoon or Gota Fria happens once every twenty years or so. The Mediterranean is a very windy place, it's quite normal to have gales blowing for most of the winter. The weather is still the best in Europe from November to May with the exception of the Canary Islands which is not really in Europe geographically

Like 0      
20 Mar 2018 2:42 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Jarvi.

West Yorks has been colder than here, and 3 miles up the road in Penistone its been colder as well.

Where I am its been warmer, but I do conceed, my temperature has been taken from my car readings when I have been out, Im not a weather officianado!!!

Maybe revise my estimates during the days to 6 to 8 average round here (apart from the cold snap).

I stand corrected mate!     Im off to Cape Verdi in a week or so, when I get back I shall expect it to be very warm!

This message was last edited by briando55 on 20/03/2018.

Best wishes, Brian

Like 1      
20 Mar 2018 5:49 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Have a good time in Cape Verde. Its at least 20 degrees warmer than here at the moment, you'll be bloody freezing when you get back..lol.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2018 9:45 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

I love the UK SEASONS now I,m HOME all so different SPRING is around the corner ,today I walked 4 miles to the BELLRINGER it takes longer coming back LOL. When I lived in SPAIN it was only warmer really in SUMMER and the rain never stopped from NOVEMBER to JANUARY it was so COLD in the house as all SPANISH homes have no INSULATION once I REMEMBER a CAR floated past our house when the FLOODS came.

BARGAIN loving BRITS is on TV too HEAVEN also my skin looks 10 YEARS YOUNGER a bit PALER too

Love Hugh xx

Like 2      
21 Mar 2018 7:14 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

Average night time temperature on the Costa del sol is around 4 ' above freezing bloody cold all this information is available on the net  ** EDITED - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/22/2018 12:18:00 PM.

Like 2      
21 Mar 2018 7:45 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

** EDITED **

Like 0      
21 Mar 2018 1:37 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

@jarvi

windtalker

** EDITED**

AmazingEveryone from the Costa del Sol are saying how cold, wet and windy it's been this year and he comes up with that. Perhaps not reading threads before replying is not the way to go. 

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/22/2018 12:20:00 PM.

Like 1      
21 Mar 2018 3:59 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

Sorry my mistake ** EDITED **..where everything is twice a big as anywhere else in Spain ..I think the next time I visit I will try one of those gutt busting menu del what you call it for €10 and go home pissed on the plonk that is kicked in with the price.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/22/2018 12:22:00 PM.

Like 2      
21 Mar 2018 5:20 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Sorry windtalker but I think you are overstepping the mark a bit. Your posts seem to be getting a bit wonky.

And regarding the weather on the Costa Blanca (which I did say has gone down a bit some days) take a look at what it's been like.

Rojales weather March

Like 1      
21 Mar 2018 5:33 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Seems that wherever brits go around the globe they can’t stop talking about......

A. The weather

B. Getting pi**ed

C. All day breakfasts or belly busters for a tenner.  

Not much changes eh.  Haha 

Best wishes, Brian

Like 3      
21 Mar 2018 6:25 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 804 posts Send private message

The truth is briando55, talking about the weather is also a Spanish pastime and, to put it politely,  getting “pie eyed”,all day breakfasts and” bargain basement “ menu del dias are the main subject of conversations only of the Brits who not only don’t live here but holiday in the lower echelons  of Spain where English is the first language.

hahaha

Like 1      
21 Mar 2018 6:50 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

'All day breakfast' is an oxymoron. Breakfast by definition is a meal served in the morning not all day.

If you eat Kippers at 10pm are you having breakfast just because some Brit bar owner has a sign outside indicating the fact?

I must get out more.sad

Like 1      
21 Mar 2018 7:49 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

What a load of rubbish.. I have never had a Breakfast that has taken all day to eat.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

Incorrect Direct Debits - 3 posts
Easter Parades Torrevieja - 0 posts
I won my first instance case against banks - 3 posts
9 cases won so far in 2018 by CostaluzLawyers - 13 posts
Decaration of assets abroad- end of term 31st March - 43 posts
Car Insurance - 3 posts
Wills - 3 posts
Great new classical choir in Vera (Almeria) - 0 posts
Public schools - 3 posts
SELLING PROPERTY - 8 posts
registration for rentals - 1 posts
good rental agents aguilas area -costa calida - 0 posts
Capital gains tax - 2 posts
La Caixa refusing to pay out on life insurance. - 44 posts
Anything happening at Nueva Ribera? - 1 posts
vera playa almeria - 13 posts
Wills - 1 posts
Bank want to trick me into saying I'm investor - 2 posts
EU Referendum - 17 posts
problems with filmon - 1 posts
12 months contract - 5 posts
Long term rental Benidorm - 2 posts
legal Interest rates - 27 posts
HEALTHCARE IN SPAIN - 21 posts
Newbie to here and hopefully to Spain! - 26 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 33

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x