Car Insurance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Mar 2018 11:59 AM by Ronnie Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Just a word of warning to many of my fellow Spainsh home owners who have their own car here in Spain.  I bought a new Dacia last March which included one year free insurance.  I last visited the country in December and when I returned at the end of February I found a renewal "invitation" from the insurer MAPFRE with a premium of 676.82 euros.  I called in to my local branch of Jennifer Cunningham brokers in Los Alcazares, Murcia and the same cover by LIBERTY SEGUROS was 333.80 euros.  At less than half the price I took the LIBERTY SEGUROS policy.

My emails to MAPFRE requesting cancellation were ignored and the premium was debited to my account on 7th March.  I eventually managed to speak to someone at MAPRE's call centre.  Without a hint of embarrassment I was told that there would be no rebate and that they could not cancel the policy until next year giving one month notice.  They would not accept 11 months' notice and I was told I would have to phone and then send a letter the month before.

In contrast Christine at Jennifer Cunningham arranged for a refund from LIBERY SEGUROS.

These restrictive practices are all too common in Spain.  I had a similar problem with house insurance 2 years ago and can't understand why it is not illegal.  The moral is to keep a note of your expiry dates well in advance!  

Like 0      
13 Mar 2018 1:09 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Well documented here and many other similar sites. When you sign up for insurance you are automatically (in most cases but not all) agreeing to a continuation of the insurance. Unless you cancel with an official letter or the firm's own procedure (emails have never been accepted) then they will carry on the insurance. It used to be two months notice required but this has been reduced to one month. However, they must received notification before the 1 month so best to do it the two months before as previously required.

And go down personally, fill in the paperwork to officially cancel and get it counter signed by the agent (and keep copies).

Or send a registered letter (there's an official type thing which I can't recall the name of} to make doubly sure.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2018 2:08 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Can you not simply withdraw the direct debit or credit card authorisation facility.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2018 6:21 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"the premium was debited to my account on 7th March"

Still time to contact your bank and cancel the payment, I think? (If you have online banking, you can probably do this yourself quite easily) Screw the contract and small print etc., let Mapfre sing for it - and don't be put off by threats of legal action - it isn't worth their time & expense to pursue the issue. I had a bad experience with Mapfre years ago, argued like mad and won eventually. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole ever again. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wills - 3 posts
Great new classical choir in Vera (Almeria) - 0 posts
Public schools - 3 posts
SELLING PROPERTY - 8 posts
registration for rentals - 1 posts
good rental agents aguilas area -costa calida - 0 posts
Capital gains tax - 2 posts
La Caixa refusing to pay out on life insurance. - 44 posts
Anything happening at Nueva Ribera? - 1 posts
vera playa almeria - 13 posts
Wills - 1 posts
Bank want to trick me into saying I'm investor - 2 posts
EU Referendum - 17 posts
problems with filmon - 1 posts
12 months contract - 5 posts
Long term rental Benidorm - 2 posts
legal Interest rates - 27 posts
HEALTHCARE IN SPAIN - 21 posts
Newbie to here and hopefully to Spain! - 26 posts
Wanted: Long term rental villa Moraira area /Se busca alquiler de villa a largo plazo en el área de Moraira - 0 posts
Landlord refuses to fix hot water - says I can pay for it myself - 7 posts
Hello from a future apprentice in Spain - 1 posts
Saving account - 1 posts
Help! I need a landscape gardener - 0 posts
Landscape gardener required - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x