Eye Watering Agua Factura AMJASA Javea

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Oct 2016 11:25 PM by Xabia Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Hi,

Just had another HUGE bill from AMJASA for two months €519 for September - October!

Almost 200 cubic meters of water consumed or 200,000 litres.

House is let out for holiday persiods. But due to the fire, has only been occupied for 5 weeks rather than 8/9.

House is

3 bedroom, 2 bathroom. Sleeps 6. Dishwasher, washing machine and 8x4 Pool. Ver small irregation system for two tiny patches of grass.

June and July was €472.44

Shocked!

Any Advice welcome please?

Xabia

Like 0      
05 Oct 2016 9:05 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

You have a leak. Get the pipes checked as that is about 10 times the amount you should be paying.

Like 1      
05 Oct 2016 10:15 AM by ironwheels Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

its quite easy to check if your water is leaking just look at the meter and you will see it slowly moving ,if it moves when all is turned off (taps etc) then you obv have a leak,these are quite common in Spain due to the plastic pipes used .I know of 3 properties on our urbanisation that have had this problem.

Like 2      
05 Oct 2016 10:47 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

A very simple way of checking for water leak is to all the toilet flush tanks and so on at full then put your ear on one of the cold water taps and you will hear it .

Like 2      
05 Oct 2016 11:46 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If you can get to the water meter,  turn off all taps, and see if the meter is shows any water flow.  If there is, then see if the over flow is running on a toilet cistern, tap leaking etc.  

Like 1      
05 Oct 2016 11:55 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

That's one heck of a leak. You could fill the pool several times, if my calculations are correct. I would expect to see the leak never mind hear it. Maybe someone else has tapped into your meter. Either that, or the fire service used your water to put out the fires. I would have expected a letter from the water company informing you of unusaul usage. I think I'd start by asking them to come check the meter. Good luck.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
05 Oct 2016 1:08 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Another possibility is to check the reading in case the water company made a mistake when  they took the reading.

Like 1      
05 Oct 2016 1:14 PM by Xabia Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Thank you, meter was brand new in March 

Like 1      
05 Oct 2016 2:33 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

meter was brand new in March 

It is I suppose vaguely possible it is defective,  or if it can be calibrated, then calibrated incorrectly.  However, a leak is probably the most likely explanation.

Like 1      
05 Oct 2016 2:55 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

As Roberto says this sounds like a big leak

Is there an error on readings between new meter and old meter 

Suggest you contact the  water board and get them to investigate or ask a plumber to come take a look like most things the experts are the best to ask

Like 1      
06 Oct 2016 6:00 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

We had similar from Codeur last month with our 1 bed apartment. 164 cubic metres and about 450€ bill!!! Codeur are coming to check the meter next week (and to make sure they have read the correct one!)

Mark

Like 1      
31 Oct 2016 3:55 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

I had something similar once. About 300 cubic used while the house was supposedly uninhabited (its a holiday property). We discovered there was a defect in one of the WCs which meant the plunger thing wasn't working properly and water was continuously trickling down the drain.

The fontanero advised to always turn the water off at the mains valve when we're away for a longer period as there is no guarantee it won't happen again. We couldn't do that as the garden is irrigated. But we had him install a separate valve for the garden than for the house.

Like 1      
31 Oct 2016 4:09 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I have a feeling house & garden are supposed to have a seperate supply by law anyway. Anyone know?

Mark Twain

Like 1      
31 Oct 2016 4:19 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Could  it be that your renters have left the pool filling and forgotten it?

this happened a few times round here, even with " professionals " looking after the pool.

easy to do if you're not keeping your eye on it and you go for a siesta!

Like 1      
02 Dec 2016 6:22 PM by richardredmond Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi,

I also have very high water bills for my three bed villa and last year had to have a complete new pipe installed as my meter was still showing consumption with no everything turned off. Also the toilet overflow was running and is a common fault found to be causing high water bills.

The other main issue is the garden water system as the pipe work and plug points often allow too much water out. Check all your garden pipe work and replace if it has been down for sevral years.

We had a extra meter fitted to the outside tap to record the amount of water used to top up the pool and also had a lockable tap fitted so rental guests could not just turn it on.

If you have an outside shower, you must check the pipe work and if renting would suggest a push button type that only stays on for a few seconds.

Like 1      
05 Dec 2016 3:19 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

I have a feeling house & garden are supposed to have a seperate supply by law anyway. Anyone know?

I don't know about the law. But many older properties predate present laws and I'm not aware of any requirement to retrofit. Quite apart from the question of how feasible this would be short of ripping everything out and starting afresh. I have several outbuildings and despite the best of my efforts to investigate I don't understand how the water gets there. My fontanero says not to worry. Old houses are like that.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2016 7:54 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 804 posts Send private message

Roberto wrote....I have a feeling house & garden are supposed to have a seperate supply by law anyway. Anyone know?

By law, one is supposed to only use irrigation for watering the garden . At a fraction of the price of mains water silly not to really.

Like 1      
06 Dec 2016 4:39 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Not sure what you mean by "irrigation" as opposed to "mains" water. Our irrigation system is fed by mains water, just the same as the water going into the cistern that feeds the apartments, and one community tap in the garage. Looking a the bills, both the meter for the garage tap, & the one for "piscina y jardines" are charged as "domestic agua". I can't immediately work out why, but the water for the "pool & gardens" appears to be charged at a higher basic rate. various service charges are identical - including basura, which seems a bit of a swizz, that the community are paying twice to have rubbish taken away.

The law that I'm thinking of is something to do with water used for gardens etc. being on a seperate supply, to avoid any possibility of back-wash (or whatever you call it) into the cistern that feeds individual homes. I remember something similar back in my murky past installing & plumbing in xray processing machines that held hazardous chemicals - there has to be some kind of one-way valve to prevent the possibility of cross-contamination. Any plumbers out there have an idea?!

This message was last edited by Roberto on 06/12/2016.

Mark Twain

Like 1      
06 Dec 2016 5:28 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 804 posts Send private message

Irrigation water comes from a completely different source and is paid to different supplier than main water. It is untreated water and carries the spores for Legionnaires disease so campo folk for whom, unfortunately, this is the only water supply have to be extra careful when showing.  The metered supply might come from wells or sewage farms and is used for the many fountains here. 

Like 1      
06 Dec 2016 5:48 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

I am aware of the separate supply of cheaper and untreated water for irrigation in many parts.

But to use that you would first have to have a supply. I don't think it is available everywhere. When my house was built there was no mains supply at all but they had a massive concrete cistern under the house that (so says my 84 years old Spanish neighbour) was filled by a water truck that came by occasionally. The cistern could also be topped up by rainwater from the roof. This was long before my time but the cistern is still there, akbeit disused. Later a mains supply was installed and this has been creatively added to over the yearrs.

Now that you mention the backwash thing, I recall that my fontanero did install a valve on my garden supply. I never really thought about the purpose of this but it might well be what you describe.

This message was last edited by amogles on 06/12/2016.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New Cross Fit Workout Gym - 1 posts
Well done Do You Spain Car Hire - 2 posts
EU Countries - 6 posts
Peinsa 97 SL under creditor´s meeting - 0 posts
Costa Luz Lawyers. Recommendation - 7 posts
Is Ireland at risk of another banking crisis? - 5 posts
Problems with your S.I.P. card - 6 posts
Spanish wills and inheritence tax - 8 posts
Mortgages on illegal properties: is it Bank risponsable? - 0 posts
Struggles with mortgage payments in Spain - 4 posts
Hi. Removal boxes needed. - 1 posts
Looking for full time job - 3 posts
Are property prices about to fall in Spain ? - 23 posts
Changing name on NIE - 17 posts
Monarch - Air Operators Licence runs out on Friday - 6 posts
property value law - 2 posts
I don't have a legal resident contract and my landlord won't help me get an Empadronamiento?! - 8 posts
Yet Another Rental Car Rip Off - 45 posts
bike test - 4 posts
is it wise to move to Spain post Brexit - 45 posts
Using Spanish words in written or spoken English - 3 posts
Plumber - la Cala de mijas - 0 posts
Liability on a 6 months rental - 3 posts
Esta if you have lived in Spain - 0 posts
Customs duty - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 30

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x