Spanish Bank Bureaucracy

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jul 2016 8:00 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Has anyone experienced this happening in a Bank in Spain recently.

I used to be able to obtain Change at the Counter after furnishing my NIE Number. I walked in to my Bank,La Caixa, to obtain change this week into Five Euro Notes after having drawn a sum of money from their ATM. I was told that I would have deposit the note/s into my Bank Account and withdraw it again and then only would they give me smaller denominations. I even spoke to the Bank Manager,who asked what the problem was. He could not tell me when the rules had changed,but said something about checking the authenticity of the notes.He said I could change the notes outside the Bank and went back to his office. What nonsense is this ,that has been introduced here!!!!!!

Nigel

Like 0      
29 Jul 2016 9:40 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Very odd.  I can only believe that it was an internal rule.

If you were going to pay it in and then withdraw a similar sum then I guess you could just have withdrawn the amount you wanted over the counter#

Next time if you want to be ‘difficult’ ask for the complaints forms.  I bet they will find a way of getting around  the rules.

Just had a thought.    Maybe their tills are theft proof so that there is no money at the counter.  I am not sure but I think my bank is like that.  When I  draw cash it comes out of a slot by the teller, just like with an ATM.  If that is so they of course would not have any money available to give you change.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2016 10:07 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I have had this a couple of times with my bank in the UK, Halifax, things are changing in the banking world.

Also could be because when someone before you pays in notes these denominations are / might be registered so the bank can keep check on them at the end of the day, like as in missing / stolen / forged notes, etc, you ask for change and the banks system gets a little messed up. Pay them in / take them out... All accounted for.

Paying in yesterday a large amount of notes I was joking with the cashier that the note counting machine sounded like my shredder, hope it isn't, I said..'No we are not allowed a shredder anymore due to the fire risk now'.

Sounds like this 'Complaints Form' thing is the be all and end all of everything in Spain now.

Everything is changing.

Like 1      
29 Jul 2016 10:12 AM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

The money in my bank also comes out of a theft proof slot and you have to ask how you want your cash at the point of withdrawal They also have a minimum of 600€ minimum rule for over the counter withdrawals I tend to ignore this and have not had any problems except of course in July and August when I keep away from the inevitable slow moving queue Don't these people have banks where they live? 

Like 0      
29 Jul 2016 10:34 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

scubamike said,

"Don't these people have banks where they live?"

Well they very might well not have any soon, people resist ATM's and telephone banking like the plague, but then readily reveal their security number to a complete stranger who phones them and asks for it. I have set up a DDM that allows me to do all my shopping with my credit card and have it automatically settled it in full on a monthly basis. Less money in circulation means less crime, fewer banks means fewer bank robberies and muggings of customers leaving bank premises.

Just a thought, £5.00 notes appear to be an endagered specie in the UK, could this also be the case in respect of €5.00 notes in Spain?

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
29 Jul 2016 11:28 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"'No we are not allowed a shredder anymore due to the fire risk now'." Probably an EU rule! laugh

"Sounds like this 'Complaints Form' thing is the be all and end all of everything in Spain now." They're such a good idea, no doubt the EU will ban them soon. Lucky UK, they're OUT! cheeky

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Jul 2016 1:27 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Yes Roberto, he said we cant have a shredder now due to the fire risk, paper and electricity.

As for 'Out' the EU you would be surprised how many 'Outers' are now saying the word 'Coming out'  we might not.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2016 1:51 PM by Rossetti Star rating in Oxford and Zurich. 124 posts Send private message

If you think this is a problem, try asking to change several 500 Euro notes.

Rossetti

Like 0      
30 Jul 2016 7:48 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I don't know for sure, but there may be a connection with the increased security being imposed within the EU generally vis a vis money laundering.  I recently bought some furniture and went to the shop to pay them in cash and was refused!!!  I was told categorically that they could not accept more that €1,500 in cash from a customer for one transaction.  This was forbidden by the Spanish tax authorities.

So I tried to pay the balance on my bank card and the transaction failed.  I subsequently learnt that the bank had imposed a "day limit" on the maximum amount I could spend on the bank card.  Not a bad idea, even better if they had told me.  So I had to go to the shop several times to settle the account in full.

I don't think it's just La Caixa, I think the whole world is going bonkers.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2016 9:30 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

The cash transaction limit in Spain is actually 2500€ maybe that particular retailer had it's own limit.

Here's  a interesting article in 'On The Pulse'

Like 0      
30 Jul 2016 10:06 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

The retailer reckoned it's now reduced to €1,500 and will be down to €1,000 before too long.  Presumably it's an attempt to bring the black economy under control.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2016 3:16 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

If a UK business accepts payments of €15,000 or more in cash in exchange for goods in either a single or linked transaction, they must register with HMRC as a High Value Dealer.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Driving my English car in Spain - 52 posts
Whatsapp Calls made without any user intervention - 2 posts
Camper van/ motor home hire - 1 posts
Hi Everyone - 9 posts
Golf bag - 0 posts
Wedding in Spain- help needed! - 18 posts
Looking for a Concert Band in San Javier area - 0 posts
Federación Andaluza de Caza - 3 posts
Does Terrorism unite or divide us? - 14 posts
Terrorism and Religion - 9 posts
Where Is A Nice Day Out + Horse Riding? - 2 posts
Planning permission - 0 posts
Composting toilets - 3 posts
Wanted: child car seat booster - 2 posts
Just a little advice please with putting down new roots in spain - 5 posts
Wanted - 0 posts
moving to Spain 2017 - 5 posts
Planning on retiring to Spain in 2018 - 1 posts
Moving to Spain - 0 posts
Manilva Life Forums - 1 posts
Thinking of buying at Mazarron Country Club - 42 posts
Composting toilets - 0 posts
los alcazares property management - 1 posts
I'm an ordinary uk resident seeking help with moving to spain!! - 15 posts
Health/doctor services in spain for uk residents - 17 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x